free hit
counters
Headlights conversion from RHD to LHD - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RV_ABZ

Headlights conversion from RHD to LHD

Hi folks,

I need to convert my headlights from RHD to LHD models for French MOT + re-registration purposes. Can I simply hunt for replacement glass or will I need to change the complete pair of standard headlamps (not full beam, which can remain as is)? Furthermore, if anyone could point me towards a place where I could find these items, because in France & Brittany, it seems rather difficult...

Many thanks,

Hervé

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The glass is the whole unit in reality, it's adhered to the metal backing, so it's 5inch (or whatever they are) headlight for dip beam that you need two of.

I cannot comment on where to get Steven shaped vehicle ones as they are different sized to the G car which I have, but I'm sure that Steve at SJ would be able to get some and ship them to you if you can find nowhere closer.

On doing a bit of further research on the Net (which I should have done in the 1st place), I've found that low & high beams would be identical units: Wagner 4000. I anyone can confirm, I'll then go and buy some.

I've got a vague recollection there were some LHD units in the factory sale a few years ago?

Not sure if anyone can confirm this or not, think my lists are long gone. If it is the case then the factory would most likely be the best choice for sourcing them.

The units may be identical but I doubt you'll need to swap over the high beam ones. They're such a diffused beam that any minor beam direction elements of the lens will be minor, but with a low-beam lamp those beam direction elements of the lens will have an effect,

Would these do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Headlamp-4000-wagner-sealed-low-beam-5-1-2-3-prong-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e0996ea1QQitemZ360250437281QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Wagner_4000.jpg

Mike Taylor of Lotusbits told me that RHD headlamps were not sealed and I have not checked mine (I'm away from home this week). I've inquired at PUK too, but Marcus came back with a Ouch! quote (139€/unit)...

Cheers

Hervé

Edited by RV_ABZ

Marcus is always mucho ouch £££

Just found my old sale list and can't see the lamps on them unfortunately.

Sorry dudes, may still be worth contacting Lotus themselves and seeing if they have any at all?

they are deffo not sealed beams on your car, thats not to say those wont work though, the plug looks the same.

If you can find some lamps (if you go sealed beam you have to be able to get more to cope with failures) then you can create/ modify the brackets to suit. Any normal headlamp will have the same 3 pin connection. Just make sure they're the right size across the lens and not too dished that they will not fit (I doubt it's an issue, but not all are the same).

Is your conversion based on convex or concave headlights (my low-beam lights are concave with convex lamps for the high beam)?

Edited by RV_ABZ