free hit
counters
swinging alternator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GOHER007

swinging alternator

Hello again.

does the top bolt on the alternator bracket stays loose, as it vibrates out, and only stops at the margin of the firewall? 1983 turbo esprit

Detail: subdued by my inquisitive nature, as i was noticing every detail of the engine, trying to investigate this new vebration. as i zoomed in on the source of the noise i noticed that a bolt, which is holding the alternator in place, slips out when the engine is on. any suugestion on the mechanisim of this connection and the technique to counter this issue

before any adventures i seek the help of this forum and its wonderfull members thanks again gq

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The top 'bolt' which the alternator pivots on should be a stud which goes all the way throught the alternator with nuts either end.

Sounds like yours may have snapped or is missing a nut from the back end, it definately shouldnt be able to slide back and forth

Thank you again. It appears to have snapped. I do believe a level of complexity, involved, in extracting that stud, or should it be addressed at timing belt interval. Thanks gq

You should replace the stud as soon as possible and probably shouldn't drive it until you do...

Edited by lotus4s

Replacing it isn't really a problem...compared with some other Lotus stuff!! Taking off the plenum chamber outer part gives you better accessibilty, but I think you can do it without. Get the old bit out from the back and slide the new pivot in from behind...washers and nuts and there you are!! If you can't get the front part out because it hits the bulkhead, grasp the broken pivot with molegrips and remove the nut and washer...then slide the thing through and remove it from the back. You'll probably find it easier to undo the alternator adjustment screw from the bracket too..13mm spanner and socket will do all the alternator fastenings, but the other end of the adjusting strap is larger. The alternator pivots on two bushes which are a press fit in the alternator body...and may need some adjustment to get the pulleys to align; maybe even spacer washers. Worth checking whilst you're at it!!

Thanks jeff. The car is grounded for now. as advised by john, i will fiddle with it and report my progress. i appreciate all your input.

Thank you all, John is dot on the matter. i slid the snapped part of the stud from behind, but the piece of stud left up front gave me a good run for me money. Shall i saw it off? as the biggest molegrips i had were failing me. Please advise Thanks again. Nothing like a bittersweetfeeling

I can't see any problem with sawing it down to make it short enough to get it out as it's broken already although it may be difficult to hold while you try to cut it. Don't put those molegrips away just yet.

Molegrips were a very hand tool. I sawed the stud once, slide the remaining stud with molegrips, sawed it a second time down, slid the remainig stud with the molegrips again, sawed it down a third time to slide the last part out, from standing at right mid side. i once dropped the mole grips, which vanished, and were a struggle to retrieve. Do you have to be a contorionist to fix things? i guess you do. this half of the matter. the second half is to fabricate a stud, and drop the spanners again. Thanks folks

Well done...

Yes the majority of things on these cars are a pain in the ass, never particulary difficult just the access is a pain!

You'll be happy when she's all bolted up properly, just keep an eye out for any shimming washers you may need, nothing too special, just to stop any of the casting mountings from being flexed.

Thank you every body. Johns motivational skills are outstanding. It took me a while to find the proper stud 13 from a hardware store (there is a story). after work i came home and slid the stud(grade 8) from behind(underneath the plenium). after 10 minutes of determined fiddling, the stud slid right in, for me to secure it on other end. The vibration went away, and she purred like a baby(Music party)

Lessons learned: a. Always pay attention to the decible feedback synchrony of your engine. Ground the car untill you find the source. find and Use right tools, and angles. use a wrist band surfing like contraption attached to your spanner(wrench, ..molegrips) so its not only the tool but your hand is trapped also), take breaks. Try to put in the the proper stud in, as fabricated ones have thread on both side(weak point), and they snap, which end.....Thats where mine snapped. Check your engine mounts. and gaze at your engine time to time, for good fifteen minutes,at idle.

If it was not for this forum and its wonderfull members, to aspirate my inate fear, of FIXING MYSELF, I will not be able to fix my car. Thank you all

I have the same problem. Cannot slide pivot stud past plenum to remove alternator. Not even close. I believe the mounting bracket can be removed but must be replaced with silicon bead on one section to avoid oil seeping out.

i can understand, that. just push the stud in a bit(towards the firewall)a bit only, try to screw it in( use wd40 with a focus, nothing should get on the timming belt), and than try again, as to depress it a little(the stud) to clear the fins of the plenium( check for the washer, if its in the way, or if all fails, a small saw job, very carefull and be patient) keep wiggling it, time yourself, it will slide right out good luck there are fins like projections under the plenium for cooling, see(feel) if they are just catching the stud

Undo and remove the plenum...not a problem. Just remove the bolts holding it together and get the "lid" off it. Inside are small trumpets for each inlet..if you find you have to remove the backplate as well as the lid, these have to come off. 1/4" drive 10mm sockets are really useful...could try using a bit of BluTak or similar inside the socket to retain the nuts etc. .. it's a bit fiddly, but then so are most things Lotus. One point...whilst grovelling in the back, laying on the engine. a woolly hat is good to stop the scalp being peeled back by contact with the engine cover....then again, you young chaps will have hair to do this for you!! As ever, proceed slowly and logically and everything comes good in the end. Taking the alternator bracket off is a bit more of a hassle, so I wouldn't do it!!

Thanks, a great start for me to know the plenum. trumpets, my curiosity cannot be bridled any more...is it true, that it is a lifetime project