free hit
counters
Things to watch out for - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ads_green

Things to watch out for

Just doing some routine checks on my 211 and found a couple things:

1) the Fuel line has a plastic clamp to fix it to the coolant expansion tank. Its not a great it (well on mine anyway) and had popped off. It had then started rubbing on one of the large coolant pipes nearby. Nothing major but a noticable shiney spot so would have eventually gone through it (the fuel line is tough so no marks on it). Just make sure the bracket is firmly in place - I used a small scredriver to physically open the plastic feet so they are in properly.

2) Accusump filter - mine is covered with a very (and I do mean very!) thin sheen of oil. I suspect either the fitting to the filter or the hose to the fitting is not quite right. It's due a replacement anyway so I'm going to pop open the accusump valve and leave it overnight to make sure it's got rid of the oil in the hose and then have a decent look. (as an aside - why could lotus have put the filter right up by the accusump and not down between the engine and the bulkhead!)

Oh - got round to fixing some dynaliner to the front wheel arches... ahhh... so much better. No more massive Crracks! as stones pummel the crap out of the front clam.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Keep a close eye on the engine mounts , front and rear in particular , they have a habit of coming loose.

When I added the stiffer inserts I made sure that the bolts were thread locked as I'd heard that too.

The problem is that the service manual has no reference to the appropriate torque for these bolts so it's a bit hit and miss.

I replaced my intercooler pipe hose clamps with t-bolt style. I smoked my engine for leaks and the factory clamps allowed

the intercooler hoses to leak slightly. No leaks with the new t-bolt clamps.

Dan

Dan

When adjusting the ride height for the new slicks I found that both shock locking nuts, (height adjustment), were loose. May not be a common malady but something to look at if they've never been touched.

Keep a close eye on the engine mounts , front and rear in particular , they have a habit of coming loose.

I can confirm this. One of the rear engine mount screws was loose last time I checked.

snapback.pngcphbc, on 14 July 2010 - 03:59 PM, said:

I can confirm this. One of the rear engine mount screws was loose last time I checked.

Ditto to the above. Both front mount bolts were out and both rear were out as far as the mount would allow. I had not read this post so did not expect anything like that to happen. My bad. The dealership completely missed it, or just did not bother to look when I asked them to give the car a good once over as I figured they would be more savy to what might be amiss. My bad again.