free hit
counters
Low Turbo Boost - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
84 Turbo

Low Turbo Boost

84 Esprit turbo with forged pistons. I had a mishap with my turbo where the air intake tube came off and a piece was sucked up by the turbo and unfortunately damaged the blades.

After I put the rebuilt turbo in my boost is very erratic. I was originally set up for 10psi but now it will go up to 7.5 but not hold under full acceleration dropping down to 3-4 psi. It will then go back to 7.5 if I keep it to half throttle. Based on how hard I accelerate the boost is all over the place. Although if I find the sweet spot it runs great but still only 7.5 psi. Engine wise it revs and runs fine. BOV is fully closed under acceleration.

Looks like waste gate issue but it’s odd that it happened just after I installed the new turbo. What do you guys think?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have had full boost coming out of the world's most knackered turbo...wobbly bearings, broken blades, the lot. So I doubt it's anything to do with the turbo itself...could be wastegate with something stuck in it .... Does the car's performance hesitate as the boost readings fall off? Could be a gauge issue...some of the foreign objects got into the gauge fitting or pipe?

Ithink that your problem is a leak ....primarily after the intake (turbo)

when you boost ....you are forcing at high pressure therefore only after the turbo turns will you loose boost and not before.

check your outflow pipes that there is no leaking.

richard

I'll check for leaks again but everything looked tight. The car does hesitate when I go from half throttle to full as indicated by the boost drop 7.5 to 3.

What occurred to me was the air hose from the airbox to the turbo infeed. I have a new one which I connected with a 3 inch piece of silicone hose as a coupling. This piece may be collapsing and restricting airflow when I try to boost over 7.5. This would explain why it runs fine at half throttle and stays at 7.5 psi if I feather the throttle, as soon as I fully press it then it drops since the sidewalls of the silicone coupling could be getting pulled together. Tonight I will take a short run with the hose disconnected.

Problem solved, it was the silicone hose sidewalls closing in as the tubo tried to pull over 7.5 psi. Now it hit 10 instanty, hardly and lag in 1st and none between gears. I had added a vacuum controlled BOV at the output of the dump valve and it works great. I never felt so much power from the car since I built it, I can finally start having some fun.

Thanks for the input.