free hit
counters
Crankcase ventilation - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Che

Crankcase ventilation

Quick question, what system does the V8 uses for venting the crankcase?

How do I know if my crankcase has too much pressure?

Is there any maintenance parts needed to replace or something?

Never mind the first & 3rd question, I found the answer when I did the search.

I just want to know why my intake plenum (v8 plenum coming from the turbo compressor) has some oil.

Once in awhile I got some blue smokes (only during idle or after I boosting and deceleration). Not all the time.

I thought could be my crankcase ventilation but the thread said there is no

crankcase ventilation system in the Esprit. I'm guessing between the turbo or could be bad valve seal.

Edited by Che

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

there is an breather pipe from every valve-cover that goes to the air-cleaner cover next to it. This means the engine can have oil moisture within the inlet way, just up to the turbo and into the plenum. This oil can irritate the ECU on fuel-mapping ..or just burns together with the fuel and creates an rich mixture with notable carbon deposits on the rear end of your car.

If the exhaust is smoking more 'blue' clouds instead of 'smokin black' you can calculate that the oil is entering the exhaust way just after the engine (what means it was not part of the combustion process) -this would guide you to determine if the turbos have an oil leak or not.

First step in anny case: undo the breather pipes from the air-box element. Clean out the airboxes and filter elements. Block the pipe inlets on the air-box on both sides. Fit an pressure 'test pipe' onto the breather pipes from the engine covers. Clean out the turbo inlet ducts [and if possible plenum too..] from any fresh oil that is in there. In short words clean as much as possible and go on for a test run with all performance conditions you have mentioned before.

If there is no pressure on the breather pipes, and no new oil in the inlet duct between air cleaner box and your turbos the fault is probabbly oil running from the hot turbo side directly into the exhaust.

If there is no serious over-pressure and oil moisture on the engine breathers (as from engine 'pumping' it via worn internals..) but you can still find oil build ups on the short inlet ellbow side of the turbo it could be oil that drips out on some load changes on the spinning turbine shaft.. .

to be on the safe side you should also inspect your oil level -especially for the possibility of 'pumping' fumes and moisture on overfilling situations.

As usual, Gunther you been very helpful. I will test all the areas you mentioned.

I will let you know.

Thank you.

sadly, there is no note on 'oil-consuption' within the workshop-book ...as far as I know it.

This on the other hand would be usefull on comparision .. and on the other hand you could simply collect the oil fumes comming out of the breather pipes within an seperate bottle and measure the amount of oil that is running out from the crankcase.

Most of our cars have got an more or less complete rebuild now (liner issues or what ever..) -so we will never know how long an stock engine would run with regular maintenance on complete stock internals ..and how fast the engine wears out on those special components, compared with 'ordinary' passenger car engines from the same production period.