free hit
counters
Polo! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Polo!

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do Evora owners (or indeed potential owners) really hang out a polo matches?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Think they are just trying to find a new target audience don't you think?

I'm assuming they will believe most will turn up in their German motors and will look to steal a number of them away. Just my take on it a little

Have you been to a polo match? Looked in the car park? I'd imagine it's full of either Bentleys or Range Rovers.

Umm... No I haven't EVER been.....

Was just a thought, however there may be a few Bentley owners looking to upgrade to an Evora, what do we know, were not marketing gods like the boys at Lotus :)

Never been to a polo match, but then again I'm not in the market for a £60k car either. If it ends up being a toy for the super rich whose everyday transport is a Bentley thats fine.

I dont think they will be looking as an only car :)

It is a British sportscar, for the crowd it might be an alternative to the Bentley / Aston / Overfinch

Super-rich people don't buy Evora's as toys, much the same as they don't buy Porsche Caymans either. They buy Ferrari's and Lambo's, the 2nd toy car is not the market the Evora is aimed at. 90%, if not more of Evora owners have it as a main car or main transport at least, it's not a toy like an Elise or even more so, an Exige and there are very few Evora owners who have it as a weekend toy. It's a 4 seater to be useable, that's part of the idea behind it.

My point is that this appears to me to be another mis-shot by Lotus at the demographic that the Evora should be aimed at. Deny it or not, the Evora is aimed squarely at the 911/Cayman type car market so they need to target those owners, who, I personally, don't think would be seen dead at a polo match, or horse race, or Salon Prive show (£150/ticket). The sort of people who attend this type of event want a £150k+ car, not a sub £50k car, it's all about bragging rights and overtaking the Jones's which is why they are at these places in the first place.

Personally, I think a batch of Evora's outside a city pub when the banks have just kicked out, at a docklands car show, where the people who drive Caymans' hang out will be 1m times more effective. I think the marketing dept at Lotus are far from Gods, I think that they aren't engaging with potential owners at all.

Agree with Bibs

I work in the City and at 6.30am the place is buzzing with Astons and 911's and the odd dancing donkey.

Sad to say that I've not seen a single Evora in the City.

I think the marketing dept at Lotus are far from Gods, I think that they aren't engaging with potential owners at all.

The smiley was describing my comment as tongue in cheek to say the very least... :)

I think its a little silly...

Maybe they are priming the market for the next Esprit supercar that will be in the price range for those in that economic demographic....

I think the F1 team is doing more for Lotus brand awareness than the factory can possibly hope to achieve, especially with trips to polo matches on the expenses card. The Lotus Racing motorhome at an F1 race should be surrounded by green and yellow Evora's, now that's what's needed.

Remember most people think that Lotus Racing/Lotus Cars are one and the same, they don't care enough to look into it more.

I've not been to a match yet, but some friends who've just moved to Cheltenham have as part of their explore of the new area. Apparantly it was pretty good so we've agreed to join them for the next one (not that they happen at all often it seems).

I hadn't realised quite the scale of the thing. You dont get your chappie up there on his horse....you get your chappie and his string of ponies and he uses them in rotation for a few minutes each. So there's big logistics involved and lots of staff per player. Must be tough on horse and rider. If you have to show up with a lorry full of amazing looking animals just to take part, its obviously not something for the penny pinchers and realistically not prospective Evora owners. But those are just the Wayne Rooneys with nobs on. The audience are as likely to be wannabes as the real McCoy - just the same mix as you get at Goodwood I expect. So while they might be a bit Algenon and Precilla they may not have the wherewithall to keep up with the Fotherington-Smythes. Would that lot go for a well marketed Evora? Possibly...

A few naive comments about the world of Polo here guys, i'll attempt to put the record straight if i may.

:)

Some years ago i applied to join the Mosely on the wold Polo second team, as a tradesman i freely admit that there was a fair bit of snobbery from both me towards the Polo lot, and from them towards me when i parked my van up. It was suggested i join them for a mornings punting followed by an afternoon pissing off locals in an otherwise nice country pub, i had a spiffing morning and in no time at all the curly haired boys with put on deep voices, beards a cat could lick off and fake laughs were chatting away to me, and the stick thin stuffy little blondes that drop their knickers whenever they hear someone has a title were at least attempting a smile or something quite like it. They taught me to speak just like them by 'quaffing plums', this is done by placing one victoria plum under your tounge and tucking another between your top lip and teeth and then trying to speak. In no time at all i was all 'Oh Tarquin darling' and one of the gang.

A week later we met at the nearby village of Racist upon Thames for me to have my first trial for the team, here it became apparent that being able to ride a horse was a mandatory requirement and that everyone else had been bought a horse by their mum and dad. My only prior experience was pony trekking across dartmoor when i was in the scouts some 25 years earlier. I had to sit the game out on a rocking horse, pretending for the first game, and was given a hobby horse so i could join in for the second game, i can't argue enough that you really do need a proper horse. Then it was back to the clubhouse for my initiation and drinks with the team, lots of drinking followed and some singing of stuff like 'Who takes care of the caretakers daughter while the caretakers busy taking care?' and 'Berlington Bertie', all went well until i found out that to be in the team you had to kiss the captains willy. Quicker than you can say 'News of the world reporter', i made my excuses, spitting it all out as i left.

Great bunch of guys though.

:sleeping:

Can I ask a dumb question? What prompted the first post? The rest kinda hinges on that and i have seen nothing Evora/polo orientated.unsure.gif

Ooops. Never go to that page as I come straight into the Forums and never any reason to look there unless a link taking us there...................... No link in 1st post = didn't look. as for the 'real' news - never. Just depressing.

I realised working away so much and not always being able to get the news meant not knowing the news made no difference to my life as the important stuff gets mailed out one way or another. The news is all death and depression and the bigger the number the better. What you don't know doesn't worry you.

I agree with you Al

I never watch the news, never read a newspaper etc.....

I guess I'm just not a 'want to find out all thats going wrong in the world' type of person.

People have given me very strange looks before now when I've no idea about some kinda disaster thats been going on for days....

Can't see me changing for quite some time

I must be going to the wrong sort of beaches. I've never seen them playing Polo with the ponies when I've visited.