free hit
counters
Replacing rear bearings - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hello. Well I'm going to. Replace the rear bearings as if the drive shafts need doing I may as well do these as well any tips are these lotus only parts and do they need pressing in and are there 1per side?

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Assuming rear Best with the driveshaft removed - then just drift it out from behind with a hammer and wooden block.

for future readers, purchase new hub nuts and new hub to carrier bolts along with the bearings an impact wrench works fine to loosen the hub nuts I had to use an plain allen wrench (actually 2) and

Removing the rear hub and bearing from the hub carrier is easy to do (6 no. cap head screws) but you will need a press to separate and refit the bearing from/to the hub.

Edited by sailorbob

well got the hub nut off, and thought that there was a bit too much play on the drive shaft for it to be the wheel bearing so after cleaning up the hub nut was retightened and i pretty sure that at least a turn and a half was added so a lot less play and now no noise, i will replace and tighten all hub nuts over the weekend. how we undid them was to remove the wheel put it on axle stands put x2 wheel studs on put a crowbar between the wheel studs and undo with a big bar

It's Oogies turn to boogie

• 3 months later...

what kind of noise was it making?

my car sounds like I'm riding on mud tires

and there is a resonance around 60 mph

today, I openend the sunroof and the sound was more pronounced and sounded like coming from right rear

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Probably wheel bearing....have a look at my threads on the Giugiaro section...it's a sorry tale!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Place the car up on a lift and with car in neutral rotate the wheel whilst having a mechanics stethoscope along the radius arm. A failing wheel bearing will resonate with a rumble at hand turned speeds. You can listen on the hub carrier but actually it is easier to hear it on the radius arm.

My grinding sound was more pronounced when taking slight bends at 80kph. Disappeared on the straights.

raised the car and had about 2mm of movement when wobbling the rear wheel.

Bought my bearings from SJ's

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

anyone know what size the hub nut is by chance?

I am not clear on the best way to break it loose

rear on stands, wheel chocks on front, long breaker bar?

any tips to breeze through the job are appreciated

chris

90SE

Going off memory here but I think it's 28mm.

I know it's a pain the arse but take the rear wheels off, push out the centre caps and put the wheels back on, and back on the ground. Then pull the handbrake as hard as poss, put in gear and if you have a slopping drive work against the slop, use a breaker bar with pipe extension. With all my 65 ks my feet were off the ground, swinging on the end of the pipe with the car walking up the slop, I won eventually ! :rambo:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

or use a 12v impact wrench, it will spin it off.

Best £15 I have spent has saved hours of frustration

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Hi Christopher,

Its just a cheap 12v impact wrench from ALDI (cheap supermarket over here) I just plug it into my 12v portable charger pack, it is great for getting off rusted/tight sockets.

I do also have a breaker bar

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

although there was no play, the right bearing was toast

I could not tell while still connected to the driveshaft

the left side seemed OK

anyway, now it has 2 new bearings at 69K miles

impact wrench spun the nuts off after a few seconds

and I rounded 3 of the hub to carrier bolts so bearings are not on just yet

why does it seem that the right bearing is the first to fail?

chris

90SE

Just to add to this discussion.

It is a sensible precaution to always replace the hub nuts with new ones whenever they've been removed.

My GT3 recently failed its MoT with a very loose left rear hub nut even though it had been checked 2000 miles previously.

The consequences of loosing a wheel at speed are too serious to risk for the sake of a few pounds

why does it seem that the right bearing is the first to fail?

Everything on the "near" side, curb side is prone to failure first due to the camber on the road and drainage.

Or so I was told many years ago and it seams to hold up.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)