free hit
counters
Evora Convertible - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Myfavedave

Evora Convertible

Hello all,

I've been thinking about taking the plunge for a while, but I've been holding on for news of the convertible.

My local dealer has just told me it's at least two years away, and I wondered if any of you can confirm this, or provide any further insight?

Also, the dealer seems to think that performance will be lost in the convertible due to losing the structural rigidity that the hard top provides. It has always been my assumption that the Lotus alumiminium tub chassis is strong enough to handle a convertible (in the same way the Elise was designed). Any thoughts?

I take most of the dealer's info here with a pinch of salt, only because the answers he gives me will encourage me to buy now rather than wait!

Cheers all

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Heard the same from Tony Shute at Snetterton (whilst looking at the polycarbonate roofed Evora hybrid concept!). Personally believe that it is all bull ,and they are keeping their powder dry for Paris.

Convertible & supercharged Evoras for sale would be my bet, and an Esprit to dribble over, maybe a hybrid also.

from the launch booklet if you squint

post-6502-001101300 1279545090.gif

The whispers I've heard for Paris are:

Evora S

Evora Auto

Esprit V8

Esprit V10

Some other V12 super duper car of a new name.

No mention of the Evora Convertible though ;)

I have read that they will be showing the new Esprit and 2 new Front engined GT cars.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Whatever they show I cant afford!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've been told, there are 4 Lotus cars being unveiled at the PMS.

Wide Bodied Exige (V6 probably)

Evora S

Esprit Concept

And something else.

I hope the Convertible S isn't launched, or I might find myself back in the showroom! ;)

Various other threads on this subject many times. Try a search for all the various details. When on Factory tour pre launch in Jan 08 deposit givers were told by design team of the day that Convertible was 2-3 years away at least as they did not want to pi$$ off new owners so soon after launch with a 'better' model. However with new management that can have changed I appreciate. First thing 1 year in was to be the auto. We are almost there now and nobody even mentioning that for Paris! Then it was to be Supercharged and then Convertible. I'd like to think still a year to go, if not two, but who knows. Roll on Paris.

Strength question I asked on that tour and was told so strong is the new chassis design from all the 20 years of lessons learned that not an issue. The roof off the car has all the rigidity of a wet dishcloth anyway so it is the complete bonding process that stiffens everything up and not just the roof. My biggest concern will be the ever reducing luggage space as it is to be folding where the rear seats are. At least with roof up there should still be present volume.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

I feared they may not be selling well, but my local dealer said that all cars sold now would be model year 2011. Also, I am waiting for a new headlight assembly (my front right indicator only works sometimes, and apparently you have to replace the whole thing), and it's taking a while because they are putting them into new cars.

They're selling very well, there's quiet a queue for dealers to get their hands on more cars. I think it's 3 months+ at the moment.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

4 month lead time from my dealer right now (Salt Lake City, UT). Don't know how much of that is due to the slow boat though.

2011 Lotus Evora 2+2

DigSquid,

Be aware that ~3months ago Lotus changed the internal plastic housing of the Headlamps, from a gloss to a matt finish - so just make sure you get a matching set when the replacement arrives!

DigSquid,

Be aware that ~3months ago Lotus changed the internal plastic housing of the Headlamps, from a gloss to a matt finish - so just make sure you get a matching set when the replacement arrives!

Ah thanks for the tip! Wow it would be kind of crazy if they have to replace both entire headlights just to fix what I assume is some loose connection on the blinker LEDs!

Do you have any idea why they made that change?

Edited by DigSquid

I assume you have the gloss finish then?

I believe the change was simply to assist in the production of the headlamp itself. The gloss finish attracts dust, finger prints and other marks which may not be noticed until the unit is sealed by the lense. By then it's a costly rework, especially if it's already on the car! Obviously, the matt finish doesn't suffer from this.