free hit
counters
Nurburgring - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Ok, I was only a passenger and it was in a 911 GT3 but what an experience! Got plenty of laps in, amazing car and driver and brilliant time there with beautiful weather and company, awesomeness :thumbdown:

Saw 194 on the autobahn, we tried for 200 indicated but it wasn't to be. Germany is ace :shock:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ewww!

post-1-013360800 1279704920.jpg

post-1-051177500 1279706709.jpg

Anyone else driven the track? Anyone taken an Esprit on there?

Nuerburgring (F1 track) or the Nordschleife (old track)?

Took the Elise, Excel and the Esprit there, but I was not really 'pushing it'

The trackday was on the Nordschleife (north loop). It a hell of a place, I had to stop initially after 3 laps in the passenger seat to rest as the intensity of the experience was too much to take in!

I took the F150 there for a slowish lap. Awesome experience. We waited in the bar as the regulars and wannabies all rushed to their cars and queued when the circuit opened. But once they'd all gone, we got to the barrier without queueing and then had little pressure from quick cars while we were out - just got lapped by about half a doz of the first out of the blocks. The F150 was supercharged to 340bhp and very quick, but only in a straight line. There aren't many straight lines at the Nordschleife(!) and the cart spring handling left a bit to be desired! There are several bits that look very similar so I'm guessing it takes a great deal of experience there to get the lines right. There's quite a few corners that tighten so you have to be a bit wary of going in too quick. But we really enjoyed it - definitely recommended.

Obviously we weren't timing the day but a good guess had us doing 8.20's. They did say that as it was a track day there was only to be overtaking on the straights and you're right, it's hard to know what that is as there are so few places that aren't a balls out gut wrenching corner! :)

This is me in 2006 I also went the year before, we had a mini convoy me in my Esprit my mate in his Subaru and a couple of friend on there bikes. Had a great time the Esprit did not miss a beat, as long as you keep you head you can stretch the legs of your machine, a trip there should most defiantly be on your bucket list.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v126/74/19/719460732/n719460732_504299_6858.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v126/74/19/719460732/n719460732_504301_7485.jpg

Edited by GoldenGT3

I did both the Nurburgring (F1 track) and the Nordschleife last year en route to Switzerland.

4406947285_f855e40e22_z.jpg?zz=1

4406948151_07766645c2_z.jpg?zz=1

We had a great time but I took it easy on both tracks because it was the start of our holiday.

I would have liked to do the Lotus only event in September this year but the dates don't work for me.

Next year I plan to do both the Lotus only event again and also combine it with Spa.

To give you an idea of the pace we were doing, here's my pal Simon out for a lap around the middle of the day.

I thought they had banned in-car cameras?

Friends keep egging to go but I'm too chicken. Mine would be the slowest most embarassing lap in history, with my miniscule abilities I just couldn't risk my lovely Esprit . However I would LOVE to spank the family Vovlo over there !

Awsome, so total cost for the day plus new underwear from that giggle when the car slid out.. I have got to go at some point but I will take the Suburu with the Lotus on a traller. Drive the Suburu around 1st then take out the Lotus. Use the skills I got from Millbrook and also the hrs of playing the Nurburging on the PC, to learn the track.

If you go I suggest going to an organised track day there and not just one of the normal open days.

I did the nordschleife in a VW golf (LHD !) and there were bikes and people carriers and all sorts of vehicles. As we were leaving the track a 53 seater coach was just going on :thumbsup: Given that most of the corners are blind, going into a corner with some commitment only to find a coach going 20mph round the corner isn't an experience I want.

Tourist Fahrten (TF days, it means tourist rides) are when the track is open to the public and anyone/thing can go around it for €22/lap. We were out there on a closed session with 150 cars so it was much quieter and indeed much safer, well as safe as the 'Ring can be. The trackday was £495 through Bookatrack, getting there/back and staying was perhaps £400 which we shared and fuel on the trackday was about £200 I think so somewhere about £1,000 for the day + wear/tear on the car. It's not cheap but it will change your life :thumbsup:

Bibs

Thanks for posting prices it is interesting to know how much these things cost.

I know I posted this before but I like it!!

Buddsy

Edited by Bibs

I agree with Oneshot. The Ring is an awesome place but the public days are not the best for those who are new to the place. I have been going for many years now on bikes and in cars and my first few visits were before the popularity explosion. The first couple of years were very quiet with maybe 20 - 30 cars and a handful of bikes attending the day and not all were on track at the same time!

I too have seen all sorts of things on the circuit, a bus was one of them only it managed to get on going the wrong way and I met it while it was performing a many point turn to fix that problem!! ;)

Here is a picture of a trip about 2 1/2 years ago. :)

post-879-046425200 1280326131.jpg

cheers

-Chris

How well does the 350 cope with the 'Ring Chris? Ken and I are planning a trip in 007 later in the year, I'd be interested in your thought prior to our laps. ;)

Bibs,

Please delete the pic of the Sport 350 it may cost me money. Looks at home there too.

Trevor.

The Sport 350 is by far the happiest Esprit on a circuit in my experience which has many notable exceptions. I first took my '87 Turbo HC but it was far too nice to modify and the brakes and suspension were a limitation. It would behave a little bit like a space hopper on certain parts of the circuit 'bouncing' a fair amount on the long suspension travel but always in a controlled manner. I added braided hoses, SRF fluid and Mintex 1066 pads (if memory serves) and it made a huge difference to the feel but ultimately they would fade and needed careful adjustment of driving style to look after them. It always looked great though...

post-879-083642200 1280404378.jpg

Next I had a 2000 V8 GT which was fun but too soft again. The Brembo brakes were terrible on the circuit and judder and fade were very common. I hatched a plan to upgrade it with brakes and suspension etc but someone suggested I buy a sorted one and be done with it. However it also looked good on the track...

post-879-099133900 1280404480.jpg

I was fortunate to find #29 which was in great condition with about 20k miles on the clock. It had had the liner problem sorted so a deal was done. Again even the AP brakes weren't 100% happy on track after a while but they fared a whole lot better than anything else I had had before and the Pagid Blue pads were excellent. In an attempt to fix this once and for all I fitted 343mm x 32mm on the front and with careful spacers was able to retain the standard calipers. However this has affected the balance so I am keeping my eyes open for a similar system to the one Bibs is working on shifting the 4-pots to the back and adding 6-pots to the front. The car is great but as usual there are always things I would like to tinker with. Adjustable damping would be good since it could be firmer on the track. Poly bushes or mixed bushes and rose joints similar to the ones Mike S recently fitted. I am about to pull the engine and am carefully reviewing all of the home brew intercooler options. I would love a pair of those, bizarrely it is adding a rad upfront which is my mental stumbling block at the moment. I just don't fancy tackling that so I am going to have to push myself.

One piece of advice when visiting the Ring would be to take a spare set of brake pads with you. If you rack up a few laps at speed you may be surprised how quickly you can get through these. I have tried Ferodos and haven't liked any of them. Pagids have been great, the Blue are probably my favourite but the Orange seem good too but maybe a little too hard. The Mintex ones on the HC were great but I haven't found them for the APs (haven't looked too hard though).

Here is another one to temp Trev a little more, the 350 looks uncatchable here...

post-879-039721000 1280406156.jpg

Sorry Trevor, I couldn't help myself and in the long run its for the best. ;):)

-Chris

Cheers.

We are heading for Nurburgring in August with two Esprits. Arriwal is Thursday 19/8 and return is early Saturday 21/8. We are planning on driving the GP track and the Nordschleife. Really looking forward to this.

We are staying at the Gasthaus Ringblick.

Please feel free to join us!

Edited by PER

I am going green with envy as I haven't been for a year or two.

Naturally there are the common bits and bobs to keep an eye on when doing track work, oil (tranny and engine), water, other hydraulic fluids etc. Tyre and brake wear as well as tyre pressures, everyone has their own idea about pressures. I found I needed to set them to about 26-28psi cold at Bedford to stop understeer when up to temperature. My aim was to keep them close to stock settings when the tyres were hot. Let the engine idle a little in the car park to cool down and don't use the handbrake or keep your foot on the brake pedal when doing so. The car park has shallow drainage gullies in front of most spaces and you can let a pair of wheels settle in this while the engine idles.

Also without wanting to put a downer on things, I was at the Ring when Dan from the forum had his 350 engine give out on the circuit. This just highlights the need to watch the gauges and check levels before each foray onto the track. I think Mike S bought and fixed this one last year.

When on the circuit keep an eye on your speed if you are new to it. You will be going much faster than you think and if you don't know your way around it will catch you out. Use your mirrors A LOT fast stuff will appear out of nowhere like magic. Indicate right and keep out of the way of faster stuff when appropriate. It is much less stressful to let them past so you can concentrate on your own line once they have gone.

Here are some sobering reminders of what can happen if things go wrong - it is dangerous...

post-879-018256300 1280409813.jpg

You'll be pleased to know that both occupants are fine now. One walked away and the other had a short stay in the hospital due to a bang on the head. They are attributing their lucky escape to the CG-Locks that were in place locking the lap strap of the seat belt to hold the occupants firmly in their seats while the car was upside down as it slid along the top of the Armco. You can find them here and are worth every penny http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/ they were not wearing helmets and I doubt one would have survived without this little device. All of my petrol head friends and I wear helmets and CG-Locks whenever we are on track now.

Lastly remember to slow down off the circuit (I sound like my Dad now, and am feeling a little hypocritical with this one sorry) but the track has the effect of recalibrating your brain and you don't notice the speed so much after a lap or two. Here is an example of what can happen on the way home (again no one was hurt, fortunately)...

post-879-013373400 1280409985.jpg

This used to be a nice 911 GT3RS.

Have fun and take lots of pictures. ;)

cheers

-Chris

Edited by cweeden

.... and don't forget to look out for the white spots on the entry and apex of most corners. These are painted on the track by BMW driving school to help in their driver training programmes.

The spots are not on the exit because the theory is if you get the line right in the entry and at the apex, the exit takes care of itself.

That's what we were told on our track walk last year as part of our Lotus only Event.

They are quite easy to spot..

4840981544_1979978c20_b.jpg

Bibs, Chris,

Stop stop stop, I am too weak. 360 has gone up for sale now so will see what happens, mind you maybe my latest purchase will keep me busy for a while ;)

Trevor.