free hit
counters
Essex 007 - Page 7 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
esprit22

Essex 007

So, that's the definitive list? Despite what you think of my opinions, I find that interesting.

However, you seem to have made a clerical error with 001.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

OK "For Yours Eyes Only GKP" we will now move this tread back to the Bond cars.

Essex 001 chassis 10858, engine number CD910791117542, Reg no. 459JTA, colour bronze (one of the two Bond cars) Peter Nelson had it in the Cars of the Stars Museum from 1988, you all know what happened next.

The other one 10930 remained at the factory until 1988 and was then bought by Peter Nelson at the Coy's auction.

Both cars were prepared at the factory, both originally white, one had a turbo engine and 0858 had the N/A engine but the log book was never updated prior to going to the film set.

10930 had a dry sump engine.

OPW 678W the confusing issue originally belonged to a Blue Series 3 Esprit from the Engineering Dept. at Lotus.

Steve T

Have you read the thread in its entirety? Especially the bit where MJK stated that no Essex cars were resprayed to be in any movie? Or are you relying on a proprietor of a museum who's livelihood depends on having unique cars to display?

These are the facts as I know them.

MJK used one of them as his wedding car (when white) they had to respray it bronze to hide the confetti stains.

Ask him about the Olin skis. :censored:

Steve T

I wouldn't rely on Lotus to give accurate statements about the provinence of cars in those days.

Their record keeping was somewhat flakey, to be polite.

You are more likely to hear the truth from associated sources (i.e those who worked on the cars) than you are from the official records.

A good (ex-Lotus) friend's Dad (ex-Lotus) used to get sent by ACBC to drive an Esprit round the countryside for airshows etc on a sales "drive" at weekends.

He used different cars but with the same number plate .. imagine the "havoc" that would play with the records.

Having said all that I have no information to offer regarding any of these cars but there are plenty of people milling about around here who would.

Edited by Nifty

Keep off the straight and narrow

Guys, I've had a look at some old emails since my last post my reference to MJK is wrong please subtitute with PP.

Nifty, I hear what you are saying but there's a certain person who might be reading all this and putting a tick in the box marked correct.

Steve T

I think this is one of those situations that if you say something enough times and with real conviction, it will become true.

Essex 001 chassis 10858, engine number CD910791117542, Reg no. 459JTA, colour bronze (one of the two Bond cars) Peter Nelson had it in the Cars of the Stars Museum from 1988, you all know what happened next.

Forgive me, but what did happen next?

Chris

If I told you I'd have to shoot you immediately afterwards :ph34r:

Its a deal Baz, or should I say... Mr Bond!

"TELL US THE SECRET"

None of you guys actually know do you!! :hrhr:

Edited by esprit22

Wow. This one goes on a bit doesn't it? I will add a vote for telling us what happened next (the secret) that we "all" don't necessarily know. And I add "Please".....

So while in the paddock at LeMans 1980 I got my piccy taken in one of two Essex Turbos, how early was this pair of cars? It would be interesting to know the provenance (yes that's how it's spelled) of the cars I fell madly in love with all those years ago. It was one of my all time favourite Lotus highlights. Sorry if the pic is a bit poor but that is yours truly behind the wheel (in the pic, not the model) and trust me, the smile is huge.

essexespritmodel1.jpg

No, I don't think she looks cold in the way suggested, but I would imagine she IS uncomfortable considering Old Blighty, the grey appearance of the day and the way the folks milling about are dressed. My original of this pic is 1400X800...... :-)

espritturboposewhiterf.jpg

This thread needs more pics. It's hard not to appreciate a pic of a beautiful Essex Esprit. I have to agree with some here, likely the most attractive model of the lot.

lotusessexespritwallpap.jpg

lotusessexespritandf1ca.jpg

espritukessexrrcarpark.jpg

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Great pics the one of the girl in the Bikini Im hoping to recreate when I get my car done as its taken in Norwich where Habitat now is!!

Baz sorry I thought the auction ended a few days ago!! So many selling, then not, then is again I didnt know if I was comming or going!! lol

Buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Steve/Bazza (or anyone else who knows) – what’s the story with the “ESSEX” cam covers? Do either of your cars have them? I see from the pics on eBay that David’s has the standard covers with “LOTUS” on them (as my ’81 Turbo does).

And oh yeah, and what DID happen next?

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...)

Max

Yes mine does have cam covers with "Essex" written on them. No idea why some do and some don't.

Hopefully Steve may know the answer.

Robert

The pic of the Essex with the 2 F1 cars was at Bell & Coville about 3 years ago. it was an open day as I remember. The Essex road car was No.100, the ex Mark (where am I?) Thatcher car and was up for sale at the time.

the one of the girl in the Bikini Im hoping to recreate when I get my car done as its taken in Norwich where Habitat now is!!

I just hope it won't be you Scott,that will be wearing the bikini :lol:

Steve just to confirm 017 is still under cover and garaged but has been SORN for some 8 years plus......

Still looks a million dollars though - the clutch and Turbo are seized but its all perfectly sortable.

And we didn't get anything from AutoArt for use as the model! :stuart:

The ESSEX camcovers are a bit like the rear TURBO bumper - some did - some didn't. Depends what was to hand on the build day IMO.....

A friend of mine has an ESSEX cam cover in his garage - picked it up a few years ago from the Beaulieu auto-jumble. Now he just needs the rest of the car to go with it....

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...)

So it didnt make £12K Shame and with Ians S1 looking great on ebay for only £16K looks like prices have taken a bit of a nose dive ;-(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-LOTUS-ESPRIT-RED-/220668206571?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3360d99deb

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Interesting thought, how can one put an actual value on an Essex? Guess it comes down to the price that someone is willing to pay...or not.