Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
upgrade to racing quality hoses - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

upgrade to racing quality hoses

esprithk

I am thinking about replacing all the hoses in the engine area.

hoses that run coolants and engine oils, or even fuel hoses.

is it a good idea? (I look the aftermarket hoses look better cosmetically.....I see many Japanese racing cars do this with stainless steel wrapping outside, and very colorful hoses connectors,etc)

what're the good brands out there?

is it safe to do this?

I hope it won't break lose and start a fire/explosion.

what do I have to watched out?

**I know the engine oil running in the engine has pressure, therefore the hoses/ hose joints or hose rings must withstand certain level of pressure.

what's your recommendation on this?

thx

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about replacing all the hoses in the engine area.

hoses that run coolants and engine oils, or even fuel hoses.

is it a good idea?  (I look the aftermarket hoses look better cosmetically.....I see many Japanese racing cars do this with stainless steel wrapping outside, and very colorful hoses connectors,etc)

what're the good brands out there?

is it safe to do this?

I hope it won't break lose and start a fire/explosion.

what do I have to watched out?

**I know the engine oil running in the engine has pressure, therefore the hoses/ hose joints or hose  rings must withstand certain level of pressure.

what's your recommendation on this?

thx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can change out the coolant hoses with parts from JAE, they sell a nice silicone reinforced set for radiator and engine but look to spend about $500 for all of them, you can replace all of the vacuum hoses with high temp silicone or viton. Check out www.hosetechniques.com for silicone in many sizes and colors. You can also find new turbo hose couplings and clamps at the same site. It's not recommended to change out the fuel hose with anything other than fuel rated high pressure hose, you can go to steel braided hoses but you'll need to upgrade to -AN fittings which can get pricey, and if you aren't planning on running ultra high HP (500whp) you aren't really gaining anything for the cost. You can change out the vacuum hoses and coolant overflow hoses with silicone in a color of your choosing and make a huge impact in the engine's aesthetics.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

You can change out the coolant hoses with parts from JAE, they sell a nice silicone reinforced set for radiator and engine but look to spend about $500 for all of them, you can replace all of the vacuum hoses with high temp silicone or viton.  Check out www.hosetechniques.com for silicone in many sizes and colors.  You can also find new turbo hose couplings and clamps at the same site.  It's not recommended to change out the fuel hose with anything other than fuel rated high pressure hose, you can go to steel braided hoses but you'll need to upgrade to -AN fittings which can get pricey, and if you aren't planning on running ultra high HP (500whp) you aren't really gaining anything for the cost.  You can change out the vacuum hoses and coolant overflow hoses with silicone in a color of your choosing and make a huge impact in the engine's aesthetics. 

Artie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thx..sorry that I am not familiar with this.

but when you may vacuum hoses, you mean the hoese of "engine oil"??

thx..sorry that I am not familiar with this.

but when you may vacuum hoses, you mean the hoese of "engine oil"??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Vacuum hoses are the hoses that only carry engine air(ie, vacuum/boost) these are usually 4mm or 6mm hoses and usually get clamped on with simple pinch type clamps or zip ties if you want them secured. I wouldn't use silicone hose for engine oil as it is petroleum based and gets quite hot and may damage or split silicone hose. Samco hoses as mentioned may be a better route for you for engine oil, however, fuel line hose will work and is designed to handle high pressures, also since you don't really see any oil feed lines on top of the engine I would leave them as they are unless they are leaking.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm