free hit
counters
Starting Hot & Cold - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GBreadner

Starting Hot & Cold

Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask what must have been discussed a million times before on the forum but could I have some advise on hot and cold starting. I've been told the following

Cold - Switch on wait for the fuel pump to stop clicking, depress accelerator fully twice start. ( no choke) Hot- hold accelerator fully down until it fires back off . Thanks! Gary

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a 1983 NA and use the method you describe cold, hot it just starts with no accelerator pumping - fires within a revolution.

I press the pedal 3 times when cold. If it doesn't fire then I will give it 1/2 choke. As soon as it fires then I close the choke to 1/4 then after a minute or so I'll close the choke all together.

My car starts without pressing the accelerator when it's hot. If the timing and mixture settings are correct it should just fire straight up. Always remember to wait a second or two after you turn the ignition on for the fuel pump to prime and pressurize before firing, even with a warm engine.

It is important to remember that the 907 engine has very low, almost zero, oil pressure for the first 5 - 7 seconds at start up. Best to keep the rpm's as low as possible until the oil pressure builds up.

Edited by GavinS1

Cheers, Gavin

The oil pressure always prevents me using the choke at all until it registers, two pumps is enough to get it running - help it out on the accelerator just enough to keep it going at minimal rpm until the oil pressure is up, then use the choke or it does tend to splutter a bit at the first junction I try and pull away from. Once on the main road can put the choke in altogether and it's fine.

better still get yourself a high torque starter or starter from lotus excel throws your engine over 4 times the speed and blows all your hot n cold starting woes away infact include iridium plugs they do away with flooding lots of trouble usually simple