free hit
counters
Lotus T125 - Page 5 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus T125

as the car has a dry weight of 650, they haven't managed to get it above 1000 bhp/t *booo*

building just 25 of them doesn't sound like a healthy profit, however it might keep Danyboy from hiring two or three more ex-Ferrari chaps.

more info and pics over at http://gglotus.org/blog/?p=1409

Edited by Tico

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

"available in any color including Camel yellow or JPS livery"

Thats damn good marketing imo :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

well, this "available in any colour" will only sprout some gay idiots asking for one in pink, gold or flip-flop colours. However, in this price range you might need to offer full free choice. It might have been a smarter move to offer lets say 10 in JPS, 10 in Camel livery, 10 in Gold Leaf etc. (ooops, too many, they'll only build 25 + 2 replacement chassis for Jay Leno when he crashes the first one).

building just 25 of them doesn't sound like a healthy profit,

i think therein lies the achilles heel

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Is it designed/built by Dallara? I remember news of Lotus & Dallara working together on motorsports and Dallra have recently produced an F1 customer car for Hispania of course, so that would save a good bit of development cost - I doubt that Lotus would have had the funds themselves.

Just noticed the Golden Gate Lotus Club interview

http://gglotus.org/blog/?p=1409

Stephen Wright says being built in Norfolk.

Edited by BrazierD

You're joking aren't you Rog? There'll be a huge profit margin in this. It only has to satisfy the requirements of a track car. Engineering a vehicle for worldwide safety, lighting, crash and emissions legislation, let alone NVH is very time consuming and expensive.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hehe, sorry chaps in advance, but I love all the 'doesn't make business sense etc' comments - someone's clearly done the maths on the car, if they say they're making 25 then 25 was the target for budget and if they all sell of course thye'll make a profit or it'd never had made the paperwork !! But no, wait, people on a forum have more of an idea just for seeing a picture of the car....hehe sorry :innocent:

TBH they'll make the money on the after stuff like he was saying, the fitness, driver training etc. Just like any other car, the profit is in the aftersales and add'ons.

It's as close to being an F1 driver as you'll ever get for 99.999999999999999999999999999% of people unless you buy and old (and more expensive) ex F1 works car. As they market it, it's an EXPERIENCE so expect the car just to be a component of that ? Whats the cost...btw ?

I think it's a clever idea, clearly trying to push the F1 aspect of things, sure all 25 will be snapped up.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

£650,000 or $1,000,000 depending what side of the pond you're on.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

£650,000 or $1,000,000 depending what side of the pond you're on.

OK, so the price point of a Veyron... :(

So, $25m in gross revenue if they just sell them all. The first race may be entertaining.

isn't the veyron a (proven) road car - (ugly IMO)

Graham...i'm unexcited about the 'huge profit margin in this' it's business dynamic is not my concern :sleeping: ; i'm less excited about its potential :sleeping: ...it will never be somehting I drool over...wow so it sets the bbc top gear lap record (possibly) - but if iemember correctly wasn't a tax disc and lights part of the requirement for a top gear lap...otherwise it pales into the insignificance in which it seeks to be in the first place - so 25 irrelevant to me million/billionaires get to drive round in circles on a Sunday...(a bit like F1 :sleeping: )

i'm sure it will be as successful as some of the recent and not so recent lotus 'business'

SLEG_Rog.jpg

So long as there are 25 people rich enought to take this up (which I have no doubt there will be), I suppose Lotus are not bothered what we all think!

Its certainly a halo product and will give the brand a huge lift in terms of its image, and daresay attempting to bring people over to Lotus who would have been Ferrari owners. Their FXX programme obviously paid off, so why not do the same with a car that actually looks like an F1 car?

I wonder what the repsonse would be for it to be supplied in Red with "Marlboro" on the side.....? Its not as if those heading the design at Hethel would not know how that looks!

Edited by Nelly9000

Some on here seem to be struggling with what this car actually is. It's a toy. Plain and simple a toy to take for a whizz around your favourite circuit (which you have hired for the wekend to share with a small group of like minded friends, some of whom have brought along their own toys to enjoy too). It's not for crossing continents, it's not to out Arab the Arabs in London, it's not for going shopping in, it's not for the BBC programme makers to get excited about. It's a toy.

Think of it as something to add to your trinket collection which already includeds a couple of boats, the odd helicopter and a garage stuffed with automotive cliches. There's also chance that the complete support package will improve your driving and enhance your ownership prospects.

There will be 25 people who will happily pay a mere £650k for the exclusivity of a racing car that is easy to use and has modern F1 connotations. These 25 people will be paying to develop the new Esprit and I thank them for that.

+2

There are way more than 25 people who already do this kind of thing for fun. It like 211's - they may be road legal but plenty people criticised me for spending 40k 'on a toy'. This is no different just much higher up the bank balance and exclusivity deal.

I don't think development costs would be massive - proven existing engine, chassis from a third party, even the wheel is off the shelf. yes, putting it all together effectively is the trick and this is something lotus do well.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if all 25 are already sold.

Obviously Lotus is flush with cash. Otherwise they wouldn't have the resources to implement such a project as the Exos. I hope the new bunch at the helm aren't digging a huge hole.

As has been suggested before, the beans have surely been counted ad nauseum before trotting this out. This is from the release on Dallara's new Indycar chassis (don't know yet if there will be a Sato-driven Lotus-badged one of these :D ) :

Dallara’s rolling chassis will cost $349,000—a 45 percent price decrease from the cost of the current Dallara chassis.

The new chassis, ready to race, will be 185 pounds lighter than the current car, ensuring similar performance with the projected 550-700 bhp power output specified by the League’s latest engine rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "group buy run of 25" construction costs may thus be closer to the order of $500-600k giving a decent margin on the front end with other oppportunities to skim cream from the "experience." To get anything similar you would have to buy a classic or late model Lotus or Ferrari F1 car and hook up with CTL or Ferrari's Corse Clienti factory support. So, as of this moment, the new construction, factory-supported customer high-end formula car ownership experience is a niche and likely to get some takers.

Anyone know how one can sign on as a "team physician?" :innocent:

Spoke to a few people at the Monterey events this week, and everyone (including non Lotus people) are applauding the Exos idea. I think it's amazing and wish them all the best, can't wait to see it on the track!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Its certainly a halo product and will give the brand a huge lift in terms of its image, and daresay attempting to bring people over to Lotus who would have been Ferrari owners.

So the new toy makes all the would be ferrari owners change brand and buy......

....wait for it....

...an evora?

Nah...can't see it and therein lies the achilles heel....as for the notion that this funds the new Esprit...dream on!

SLEG_Rog.jpg

I think all this is just good news for Lotus and good news for esprit owners. As Lotus become more exclusive the older cars will start to get more recognition. Try buying a Ferrari 308 for 7 to 10 grand? You can't..... Maybe my lovely esprit is on the rise thanks to Lotus pushing into new markets.

Mark my words this will be a success and this format will be copied by others. I belive even Mclaren considerd doing similar.

So the new toy makes all the would be ferrari owners change brand and buy......

....wait for it

...an evora?

Nah...can't see it and therein lies the achilles heel....as for the notion that this funds the new Esprit...dream on!

You seem to have a thing for dodgy ankles. This new T125 will appeal to the very wealthy who want a ridiculous frippery. That's it.

I would imagine that anyone who is shopping at the Ferrari price point will also be thumbing through a McLaren brochure having already glanced at Lamborghini's offerings. Why shouldn't Lotus have a product that is worthy of consideration? They certainly have the engineering expertise to compete on such a level. They've proved that already with the Evora. This is what the PR department at Hethel are building up to as we head closer to the Paris motorshow.

Oh and what do you suggest the company should with it's profits? Use it to fund R&D of their new models or use it to think of more ways to annoy owners of old plastic sportscars?