free hit
counters
Lotus T125 - Page 6 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus T125

Great looking car, even if it's as affordable to us guys as a castle on the moon, it's great to see our Maker producing mental stuff for the sake of it again. IMO cars like this and the 2 eleven (even if i won't ever own either) make lotus a more credible sportscar maker than they would be if they just turned out fibreglass TT/Cayman alternatives.

:)

As i said before, they have milked the best E names though. Its good the new Esprit has a decent name ready to use again.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A knock out as what ?..... masturbation..??????

Okaaaaay . . . . :huh: Well, don't let me spoil your fun . . .

To get anything similar you would have to buy a classic or late model Lotus or Ferrari F1 car and hook up with CTL or Ferrari's Corse Clienti factory support. So, as of this moment, the new construction, factory-supported customer high-end formula car ownership experience is a niche and likely to get some takers.

Spoke to a few people at the Monterey events this week, and everyone (including non Lotus people) are applauding the Exos idea. I think it's amazing and wish them all the best, can't wait to see it on the track!

You seem to have a thing for dodgy ankles. This new T125 will appeal to the very wealthy who want a ridiculous frippery. That's it.

I would imagine that anyone who is shopping at the Ferrari price point will also be thumbing through a McLaren brochure having already glanced at Lamborghini's offerings. Why shouldn't Lotus have a product that is worthy of consideration? They certainly have the engineering expertise to compete on such a level. They've proved that already with the Evora. This is what the PR department at Hethel are building up to as we head closer to the Paris motorshow.

Well stated. My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I have no idea whether they will make money on the product, whether they will sell all 25 or whether it will convert Ferrari owners and the such like to the Lotus brand but I do like it. I think it was smart to have it look so much like a current F1 car although I bet they cursed when everyone went to blown diffusers losing the top-exit exhausts. Having an on-board starter is a great idea so, when you have a harmless spin, you aren't stuck on the track waiting to be towed back to the pits.

I suspect the engine is the Cosworth LMP2 engine which never found a market in the Le Mans Series so it should be good to run for a long time at those revs. No air springs for the valves to worry about, either. I wonder how big the cockpit is? It will have to fit normal--sized people rather than racing driver jockeys. I guess it's more like the cockpit of an Indy car than an F1 car. hope the hydraulics are more reliable than those on the F1 car. I'm assuming it's got power steering and drive-by-wire throttles although the gearshift, throttles and steering could all be electrically powered although packaging the steering motor might be a tricky job so I assume it has a hydraulic system.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

can't help myself ...this whole thing is still looking like a Caparo for me -so all we can hope tha the branding *Lotus* on the paint job also means some more improvement on relayability (just mention the Caparo on Top-Gear..) :detective:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

So much for the ability to get things right ....100 hrs. to paint a track car...scared011.gif

Lotus need to build a better Lotus than the one I have now, or I will not be buyin another Lotus....... This is a rich boys toy not even made at Lotus...

What sheep will follow is amazing....

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Makes you wonder what they've got up their sleeves for Paris! :D

The Exos is a 640hp car with unique tub and construction for accommodation similar to the Evora, it can fit drivers from 4'8" to 6'4" and all in between.

A funny thing happened to me today, as I set about the task of releasing (elsewhere) the latest squirrel that had foolishly entered my trusty [non lethal] trap on the back deck. As I picked up the cage, the hapless captive turned to me and said, "If you promise to relocate me in a really nice upscale neighbourhood with lots of feeders and a good water supply nearby, I'll let you in on a little secret." Intrigued, I agreed to his proposal, whereupon he told me that the Paris show's "New Esprit" concept car's engine mount dimensions and bolt pattern was identical to the T125's. The bits of the puzzle began to fall into place, and I asked him what his source was, but he made me sign an NDA on the spot.:innocent:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

For one million bucks someone could buy an actual Lotus F1 car driven by Andretti, or Manell and maybe even Senna. Or a prospective buyer could save some cash and buy one driven by J Baily, P Lamy, S Nakajima, or A Zanardi. The vintage cars allow one to go vintage racing, which is a plus.

They should have raced the twenty five cars before selling them. They could have had a five race schedule for charity where former F1 drivers compete in a master’s class. Get old geezers like Herbert, Mansell, Hakkinen to drive them. Another class would be for non-F1 drivers. That class would have young guns who might make it to F1 someday, plus drivers with some celebrity like Danica, G Rahal, whoever. After the five races Lotus could auction the cars or sell them individually. At least this way the cars might have some affinity, some provenance, or speculative value that could support the price.

As it stands now the over/under on selling all 25 cars is: five. Four of those will be sold to folks from Dubai, and the fifth???

The trouble with buying an older F1 car is the maintenance, parts and skills to look after are hard to come by and it's also a piece of history. You'll always be driving with a degree of mechanical sympathy with this in mind.

With a 2010 F1 equivalent (the Exos would be within the 107% rule I guess) you can drive it for fun and pleasure without worrying like you would in the classic car. If for people who are after this, not a classic and it's a market which does exist and is currently unserviced as well as the Exos services it.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Classic Team Lotus might disagree with some of that

Killer is that a piece of F1 heritage is likely to appreciate in value, whereas a 2 year old obsolete exos may have considerably less value, and will not give you the blagging rights into a number of prestige events. F2 costs £275K a year, I suspect depreciation on this will be higher. Trouble with superrich is that they can still be incredibly tight, and may look sensibly at the investment

I sort of think to myself that development costs on this would not be very high as it may be from a budget that was already spent. The T127 development budget. With this having an earlier T number and it obviously being of F1 design thought, is this not maybe a car that was designed getting to the T127? If so, the car is a part of an already existing development budget and is a by-product of that development. Lotus get it, add a different, more practicable engine and sell them to a lucky 25.

I think they'll make a big profit personally.

Be a darned sight more fun initially to watch these race than the current F1. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Ian, think you know me -I'm a serious person :gathering:

...now, what I meant was: why does Lotus need to paint this _Caparo http://www.lotus-central.com/images/stories/2010/Lotus-T125-Front.jpg in the Lotus-color sheme ..and have it on a Lotus brandet display ???

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Ian, think you know me -I'm a serious person :gathering:

...now, what I meant was: why does Lotus need to paint this _Caparo http://www.lotus-cen...-T125-Front.jpg in the Lotus-color sheme ..and have it on a Lotus brandet display ???

The car was painted in those colours for a customer. The car has also had some development done by Lotus and input from Jarno Trulli.

It's just a showcase of what Lotus Sport do for clients.

The Exos on the other hand is Lotus Cars answer to cars like the Caparo. If you think about it, Lotus have been doing some homework on other manafacturers cars.

They do the same thing with development of new road cars. The thing is Lotus have found a niche market with the Exos, who else offers a near enough spec car to a 2010 F1. Gives you everything you need to get up and running, then offers full support, training, Track Events. The thing I can see working is the cost of ownership compared to a classic F1 car, which needs a rebuild more often than not every time the cars been out on a track event. You need a support crew for classic F1 cars if you stall them on track, this is eliminated with the Exos. The cost of rebuilding a classic F1 is mega bucks, as parts are not ready available. The Exos parts are ready available off the shelf. So yeah a classic F1 car can be bought cheaper, but keeping the thing running out ways the cost of buying and running the Exos.

One issue I can think of, ex-works cars (like the Ferrari championship winning car of Schumachers which was sold to a british bloke iirc) you dont technically own, it stays at a secure location and you have to use the likes of ferrari to transport it to places - not off your tod. Also when Ferrari, for example, say "oi Fred, we're having a meet at Fuji speedway next month and the car is going and you have to drive it" - there is a clause in the contract that says you must oblidge these meets, the car's cannot be mothballed in your own private museums.

I'd give both my livers, 3 teeth and a toe or two to own my personal hero, Jim Clark's Type 49, I marvel and wonder at it everytime I set my eyes on it, but not everyone thinks like Lotus enthusiasts, some people just want a bit of the action that this car delivers. My mate LOVEs Esprit's eversince I got mine he's wanted one - for me ownership is much more than the car, it's all the feel nice gubbins - he wants one just becuase they go like stink and look good - he dont even really know who colin chapman is. Some poeple just wanna drive and have the support to do it - without rules.

People have always been able to buy herritage cars, it's possibly the step I want to goto when I am a millionaire (in about 2 weeks time hopefully....) but rarely are they ever yours. The T125 is a great idea, I dont know of a factory issued F1 (lets face it, it's 99% and F1 car, or F1 lite) car that you can buy and run yourself - people like Sultan of Brunei (personal friend of mine) will likely have 2 of these and make his own pretend F1 team etc, drive 20 miles in them and then leave it in a carpark somewhere along with the XJ220.

If I had the money (which I will in a few days time....hopefully....well not really) I'd have one and paint it in my favourite livery

facebook = [email protected]

I would think if you have £650,000+ for what is a track day toy, you would not be to bothered by the parts costs.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I like it anyway.

As to what the super rich want to buy? I'm not really qualified to even guess, as i don't know any, and if i did i'm sure they would invite me to a meeting where they all reveal what they are going to buy next.

Yes, in this case (as their current finacial status gives them a knowledge of such things that i can only dream about) i'll default to the forum 'experts in a millionaires lifestyle and spending patterns'.

:thumbsup:

Oh and what do you suggest the company should with it's profits? Use it to fund R&D of their new models or use it to think of more ways to annoy owners of old plastic sportscars?

far be it from me to suggets what the almighty do with their money i'm not one to worship at the turnip termple...but in my opinion since the demise of the esprit; the europa, evora and those go karty things have done little else.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Easy way to find out, just talk to people

Plenty of them around at boat shows, classic car meets such as Goodwood revival - majority of them are very interesting people, this super rich guy from California at the Revival had his friends do all the pit work on his Ferrari LM car, they did it for free just to live the life - spent...30mins talking to him about it. Rich people mostly arn't that different to you and I, they have the same passions and interests, just more money to carry them out.

Chap I met at the boat show, rich as f... all he does is deliver and drive boats for the super rich (Monaco, Cannes, Peckham), but his core interests are the same as mine, sailing boats just that I could barely afford a £26 grand one he'd go and buy one for a few million.

facebook = [email protected]

I think this is seriously excellent news for Lotus and all Lotus owners. Who doesn't benefit from a halo effect car? VW have benefitted from the Veyron even tho they made the mistake of calling that a Bugatti.

I'm guessing the Exos is aimed at a JK type, but he's just a famous face to illustrate the breed. I went to see some fairly serious grass cutters back in June and met the Owner/MD of a reasonably large company that I'd never heard of before. We got talking about cars as you do, and he races in various historic series with at least two and maybe more cars. What I'm saying here is that there's an amazing number of super rich people these days indulging their passions and they just aren't "known" like the Sultans and Rock stars. If you look at Top Marques and Classic cars genre, they're completely stuffed with toy cars being traded at the £100k level - cars that not long ago were sold new for twice that or more. Koenigwhatsit, Pagani, Gumpert, Moesler, Caporro, Mclaren etc etc are making a go of selling into the $million sector and thats without the mainstream Fezzas, Lambo, Porsche, Mercedes and their tuning shops. So there's definitely a market, and theres definitely money about. Lotus just needs to market it well and deliver on making these people feel good. Given the uniqueness of what they've announced it'll be hard not to - just wish I was one of them!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Perhaps they meant Heikki, the GGLC article isn't a press release.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.