free hit
counters
Still confused as to which model to get.... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Still confused as to which model to get....

ygb

This is my second post. In my first post, I explained that I am in the process of selling my Porsche 911(996) to make way for an Esprit and a daily runner (hopefully a Lexus). I sought opinion on what model I could get for up to

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs - were you not at Donington ? Had the same conversation with a chap there.

GT3 + V8 = totally different (see below)

Forget wings, they do not neccesaily denote the model, lots of people put these on and take them off.

Prices. Esprit is such a rare car expect prices to go all over the place. Some are 'known' cars (good or bad) and the price generally reflects this...bargains can be had, turkey's can be bought. I payed ott for mine becuase I simply wanted a red GT3, if you look only 100 GT3 off cars remain in the UK...divide that by the colour scheme and you dont have a lot of choice....the differene in a few quid can mean henjoying the car for a year or not - get the car inspected or pay what you feel comfortable with IF you really want one.

GT3, standard = no wing....the lip at the back is excentuated to increase downforce at speed. Wings are added mods (or possibly even factory options) on the GT3. Wing does very little for the car in conjunction with the lip - adds weight and drag. Same with the arches, this was only for the S4s and the V8 models due to the regulations on the tyre width over the body (iirc)

Early vs later GT3's - apart from the dash: New / better ABS, new gear change mechanism, ECU code (I believe this is 250hp as opposed to 240hp) - nothing major, the older dash has more / useful dials but the newer is more 'modern'.

Again very rare car (even by Esprit standards) bad ones

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

EDIT-->> Typical Jons just beat me to it!!! <<--- <_<

If you havent already check out LEWs models page www.lotusespritworld.com, it is very comprehensive with pictures too Also check out the owners pages for more info and pictures. Couple of simple things for you... There are significant differences obviously between the GT3 and V8. You really should get rides in them both. The GT3 has no wing and has a 2L chargecooled engine not the usual 2.2L chargecooled of the other S4/S4s/SE's. GT3 is considered the lightest/purest 4pot Esprit in some circles. Potential engine liner problems and higher service cost may also be a factor with the v8 over the GT3. There are also differences in the interiors between early GT3s and v8. I also believe that the later GT3's also got Brembo brakes which are much better than the toyota setup of the earlier cars.

Bottom line for me is that knowing what I know now, If I could afford the higher service/running costs I would have bought the most expensive v8 I could afford. Ideally with the liner issue fixed. But some people prefer the thought of the highly tuned, easier to work on 4pot of the GT3/S4/S4s. You need to look at the styles of rear wing, interior and dash, and factor in the service costs of either the v8 or GT3. A good V8 should always cost more than the same standard GT3. One last point of note is the brake system on the GT3 against the V8. I have spoken to a few owners now about the awful dead pedal brake feel on the GT3/S4. It really is dead and requires plenty of pressure to get the brakes working. The V8 has a total different brake setup and is described as a having a normal/modern car feel, as it should be.

As everyone will tell you, read LEW end to end, learn as much as you can and see as many as you can. You can easily spend a fortune putting the wrong Esprit right! Good luck on your search and keep us posted. B)

Edited by CarlC

haha, saw you 'replying' and had to punch the keys a little quicker to get it in - hehe.

Just a few additions - all the GT3's have Brembos, I think all Esprits had them after 1994 (dont quote me)

Ya, there are minor differences in the early GT3 vs early V8 interiors...with the GT3 the gear surround is colour coded, you get a big shiney gear knob, no finger tray, a really silly cigarette lighter, no lift up tunnel pouch or bulkhead pouch which is kinda irritating becuase I always found these good for wallet, shoes and stuff....in the GT3 you find everything goes on the floor or in the glove box (v.good point actually Carl <_< ).

You can add a bulk head pouch but not a tunnel one...easily.

I must admit my brakes I had on the V8 were exactly the same as the GT3 (same age car 1997), perhaps the later V8 has better feel but not sure becuase it uses the same ABS system (Kelsey Hayes). My V8 had different ABS than the GT3 and they're equally as dull, only way is to drive them and compare - never tried a late V8. You'll find with the ABS is when you push the pedal in it resists your foot and it's like sitting in a chair and pushing your foot against a wall.

Confused yet ? I am.

Interesting to see your comments on the V8 brakes Jon. I'd spoken to SuperDave about his v8 brake feel and he rates it compared to the S4s he had previously. Im just talking about pedal feel here not fade or stopping power etc. Ill have to tackle you about this some time. My S4 missed out by about two cars on getting Brembo's and June 94 is about right from what I've read. I had thought this applied to early GT3s too. <_< (Bloody know it all! :blink: )

Oh, I did have one other thought. You may find that a GT3 feels under powered at lower rpm (less torque) than your 911 given that IIRC the 911 is a 6 pot. So to reallly feel the power difference you may need to go for the v8. But then again I could be talking rubbish as I've never driven a 911 or V8 Esprit. :D

Any thoughts on this, anyone ?

Edited by CarlC

Yeah the V8 feels the same for some reason, then again not all GT3's I've driven are the same either, they all have their little quirks.

I'll agree Carl, V8's pick up from virtually any gear, I can remember in the first oxford run I did in mine happily going through heathrow at 40mph on the M25 in 4th gear and easily out accelerating everything when the speed limit hit 70 again, torque is insane even at low revs and low speeds - the turbos and torque were pretty much instantly on tap. You have to drive one to appreciate how powerful they are and how they can go from nice and doppey dog to a foaming rotweiler in about 0.24 seconds if provoked.

Bibs once likened it to having all your power in a jug of water and just knocking the jug over instead of pouring it out gently...nice analogy.

GT3 has none of this I will admit, if you want to get the best out of it you keep the revs high or change down to spin the turbo up quicker....driving it home for the 1st time I made a few mistakes expecting the power to be there and not having any joy - you get used to it......conversly it makes it easier to drive slowly and carefully in the wet (just change up earlrly and down late to keep out of the power). The V8 in the wet was nothing short of terrifying.

I find I can also feather the GT3 on the turbo as it tends to pick up slowly if you're not nailing it - its a good car if you adjust your self and driving style to it - if you treat it like a more powerful Esprit you can end up dissapointed...like where's the power gone !?!