free hit
counters
Drove car low on gas/ car won't reverse/ feels like e brake is stuck - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Drove car low on gas/ car won't reverse/ feels like e brake is stuck

I took the esprit on a trip and ran really low on the gas meter. When i try to restart the engine, the car won't reverse, it feels like the e-brake is stuck on. I put in 2L of gas and the e brake still feels stuck or the brakes because the car won't roll back on a slight hill when the car is in neutral. I can drive into first, but i can't reverse.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you talking about ??

There is no electronic braking on the V8 ... :unsure: Or do you mean your Nissan 350Z ? :rolleyes:

If you have problems with the small Brembo (Renault) sourced rear brakes (with the parrking brake ability on..) on a S4s/V8 Esprit -just inspect for correct alignment of the caliper to the brake disk .

If the caliper(screws) are gone loose, or the sliding bush is not placed right -the whole thing wobles around and blocks the brake-disk on revers action.... .

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Sounds like the parking brake mechanism (handle portion) possibly isn't releasing anymore. Causes can include stuck actuator cable, improper adjustment or failed brake handle assembly. When you pull off in first, does it feel like the brake is still engaged? If you pull the parking brake handle, how far up does it go before you get resistance? If it's completely loose, it sounds as if the brake mechanism isn't releasing and will likely need to be repaired/replaced.

. . . or have you not depressed the button in the end of the handbrake lever? If you haven't, the warning lights on the display will remain illuminated to indicate that the handbrake is still engaged.

It's not the handbrake lever. I think it's just stuck or seized. I drove my car on a really hot day and drove it to the bottom of the tank. I parked the car while it was in first gear with the clutch in and that i pushed the lever when the engine was off and i think this might make it stick. The funny thing is that i can drive forward,i just can't reverse but im stuck somewhat in a driveway. I looked under the back wheels and the hand brake was pushed in even when i released the handbrake.

not sure about what this is all related to 'low on gas..' but anyway:

If you have followed the owners instructions on use of the 'foldable'-handbrake lever (with his 'return in engage'-function) .... just slide your seat as far to the front of the footwell as possible. Or just use a 13mm spanner/ratched socket or equal and undo the 4nuts under holding your seat down to the floor [see hem under the car under a possible coat of road dirt.. use WD40 or antirust-spray]. Undo the seat from the car, pull the carpet back on the side were your seat was, this will open enough access to the cable support. Undo the nuts 1cm contered to the bowden-cable wiring and slacken all until you can free the brake by just pushing the bowden-cable hull.. . On the brake end use an lever to lift up the mechanism until it is close to 76mm distance between lever arm on the caliper and the bownden -cable rest on the casting nose. This should free your car and you can manouver it in the home garage.

Undo the bowden cables (use an pilot wire for refitting, as one side goes under a fuel-tank. for refitting /rerouting).

If the bowden cables are not stuck, undo the brake calipers and inspect for rust on the outer sealing (where the 13mm srew-head holds the lever on the mechanism..) , maybe an injection of WD40 with a small needle (undo the lever first..) just behind the axis can free up the outer mechanism, as the inside is fully coverd with brake fluid and should not rust. Be carefull nit to damege the sealing ring, or brake fluid will drip out on the caliper under actuation.. . Inspect the lever mechanism inside the car too... for unwanted free-play or worn bushings.

Other way to free up the cables is (have done this by my own car..) - unhook & lift up the cable ends on both caliper sides. Undo the small grommet on the bowden-cable hull -and innject WD40 or other usefull anti rust/ gun oil or whatever possible into the cable end. This will run into the cable and frees up the rotten cable slightly. But normally those cables do not need grease or oil, so inspect for broken sections or other causes for water contact, and therefor rusting. It is just an temporarly fix if you not cover up the cuts on the bowden-cable. And if there are already broken wires into it -just replace the whole stuff -think you can find usable bowden-cables everwhere in the boat and mashinery stores.. .

• 3 weeks later...

so David, what was comming up ? ...any real faults in the system?