free hit
counters
"Cleaning" up turbo, little oil blowback.... - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

"Cleaning" up turbo, little oil blowback....

Greetings. First post. I just drove my (new to me) '87 HCi from New Hampshire last Sunday and have been having a blast with the car so far. Its very clean and well sorted and has been perfect thus far. :D Incidently - if my car looks and.or sounds familiar, its because I did purchase it from a member here.

I did notice that there appears to be a little "gunk" building up on the small fan-blades right after the turbo which a friend said was oil "blowback". He said its normal. The turbo works great and there arent any symptoms to report but I was wondering if there is any benefit or reason to wipe this area down with some simple green orother cleaning solution just to keep it not only as clean as the rest of the car/motor but I also assumed that this build up may eventually become an issue.

Thanks - looking forward to talkin Esprits with ya'll. :cheers:

Some pics of the car:

post-10601-075809300 1281362361.jpg

post-10601-073899900 1281362375.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't visualise exactly where you mean...is the gunk inside the turbo compressor output pipe/trunking or in the pipe from the air cleaner...or is it outside and visible without dismantling? It could easily be simply from the cranckcase breating arrangements. No harm in wiping it off, anyway...!! Nice clean car, by the way. I think they look better without all the stripes and decals.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I can't visualise exactly where you mean...is the gunk inside the turbo compressor output pipe/trunking or in the pipe from the air cleaner...or is it outside and visible without dismantling? It could easily be simply from the cranckcase breating arrangements. No harm in wiping it off, anyway...!! Nice clean car, by the way. I think they look better without all the stripes and decals.....

This is outside and visible without taking anything off or dismantling. I probably didnt say it right. Eitjer way - I cant see any harm in wiping it down either so I will.

Thaks for the comments. It really is a great car and Ive driven it every single day since I brought it home last Sunday on a 450 mile trip from NH to upstate, NY. :thumbsup:

Hey Mike,

I can't help it , it reminds me last year at about the same date when I drove mine for the first time from customs in Lacolle to my place near Montreal.

I didn't have blast though, original belt with 20K on it so I drove it like my grandfather would have...

I bought mine in Pensylvania just on the border of NewJersey, we should compare serial numbers...

Where are you in NY?

Luc

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

Hey Mike,

I can't help it , it reminds me last year at about the same date when I drove mine for the first time from customs in Lacolle to my place near Montreal.

I didn't have blast though, original belt with 20K on it so I drove it like my grandfather would have...

I bought mine in Pensylvania just on the border of NewJersey, we should compare serial numbers...

Where are you in NY?

Luc

Hi Luc - I am about 15 minutes west of Rochester, NY. You have a PM.... ;)

Mike, looks like a great car, but a few vital things are missing to make it complete: Chrome skull shifter knob and chrome skull valve caps !!!!! devil.gif

(maybe it only applies to black '87s) Glad you waited for this car!!!

-Bob

Mike, looks like a great car, but a few vital things are missing to make it complete: Chrome skull shifter knob and chrome skull valve caps !!!!! devil.gif

(maybe it only applies to black '87s) Glad you waited for this car!!!

-Bob

Thats right! I forgot about the skull mods on that one we looked at.

Hilarious.... I will place the order for the skull upgrade kit this week sometime... :thumbsup:

Hi Mike, I'm glad you got the car you wanted. It looks great.

All the best with your new Esprit, hopefully we'll get to meet up at some point.

Adam, Atlanta

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.