Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How do I change the spark plug wires on a 1990 Esprit SE? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How do I change the spark plug wires on a 1990 Esprit SE?

lovemonkeysd

Hello,

I've got a 1990 Esprit SE, and I'm looking for a step-by-step procedure for changing the spark plug wires. I've searched this (and other) forums, but can't find a procedure. It seems as if the wires go through the center of the engine, underneath the chargecooler and intakes and plenums and turbos and everything else. I really have no desire to dismantle the engine just to change the spark plug wires.

Would someone please post a procedure for changing the spark plug wires on a 1990 Esprit SE?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climb (carefully) into the boot and you'll have a great view of the relatively uncomplicated route the HT leads take from the coil to the plugs. Replace one at a time, it's a lot easier when you can see what you're up against, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for all 4. :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Oh yeah,

looks about right, I have a Carbed Turbo and they disapper into the dissy cap in a similar manor, it is a shocking design, You need small hands,

It may help to move the charge coole out of the way, I'm sure some one will be a long to say.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Your leads are incorrectly routed,if memory serves i think that they all are routed together from the coils to the plugs,not different routes for the forward bank.At least they are on my S4s which i changed a couple weeks ago,made quite a difference as i had a top end misfire,caused by one of the leads chafing. as Bibs has said about 10-15 mins to fit ,bit fiddly but easily doable. And the charge cooler stayed in place,make sure you dont inadvertently knock a plug ,vac pipe, etc .

Nick S4s

Edited by fflyingdog

Simplest things first.

I'd say take the plenum off, it's a very quick job 3-5 minutes and save a lot of heartache. I would have thought the parts manual might show the correct routing, mines a carb version so I don't know.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hand on heart, they are correctly routed (nick, they are all together in that pic)

I have seen them dangled around the back of the engine taped to the water pipes but this is the correct route.

The only prob you might have is releasing the leads from the holder mounted on the chargecooler pump.

Other than that the hardest part is the heat shield behind the turbo, the ignition coil end of the lead is slimmer and will go through that abyss easier so pull and feed from the spark plug ends - do one at a time.

I didn't have a drama doing mine, you can actually reach your arm around the route under the plenum to grab hold of the lead as it comes through from the heat shield without getting into the car itself, no need to remove anything off the engine at all.

Just get in there and do it.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Is there any technical reason that the HT leads should be routed round under the charge cooler by the turbo?

I only ask because mine are just sat tied together with those plastic spacer things over the top of the engine, which to me seems a more sensible route than past the hottest part of the car, turbo and exhaust.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Hi Jeremy - fk me, long time no see ! :detective:

If the leads are fed behind the heat shield they're fine, and as long as the glass matting of the heat shield is intact it's fine - the silicone on HT leads can withstand about 280 deg c so they'll be perfectly OK in the engine bay - silicone also doen't rot as easily as rubber does, it's important to get either the Lotus cables or the Magnecore ones which will be upto the job. Yup the turbo and the exhaust are hot but radiated heat isn't that much - you can put your hand next to a glowing red hot turbo and it wont get burnt, even though it's hot, air is a superb insulator of heat.

I would imagine you can route them anywhere as long as they dont interfere with any moving parts I suppose - as I say my GT2 had them zip tied to the water pipes along the back :huh:

...but they were OK.

The only thing I can think might be a prob is the Electro magnetic noise on sensors etc - but in all reality I cant see it being a problem.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

hi Jon, has been a while :)

Ta for the reply, I was just wondering because as far as I know my HT leads have always been sat on top of the cam covers which to me seems a lot easier and even Geoff at Esprit Engineering mentioned it last time he had the car, to qoute

"Yeaaahhh, never seen the leads run like that before.... actually that's not a bad idea"

or words to that effect!

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle