free hit
counters
Handling/Ride - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I originally posted this under another thread, but thought I might post it here in the hope that someone possibly with competition experience may have some ideas.

"Strangely I've got an odd thing going on at the moment, in this cold snap I have noticed the ride being more "robust" early morning just for the first few kilometres.

I've eliminated the polyurethane bushes as being less subtle in cold ambient conditions, because they where on the car for almost a year before fitting the shocks.

It;s not tyre pressure because that drops in lower temperature.

So I'm left with the viscosity of the fluid in the shocks?

Problem with that theory is that I just turned 60 and doubt that in my hay day I could have picked that up, even in a car half the weight of an Esprit.

I think this is what I mistakenly deduced was a bedding in period as I originally fitted them in winter.

Now if I could just convince Protech that there is life beyond Dover !:welcome: "

• Like 1

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I originally posted this under another thread, but thought I might post it here in the hope that someone possibly with competition experience may have some ideas. "Strangely I've got an odd thing

Roger, I doubt it gets cold enough in Coffs for the oil in teh shocks to be affected. What brand did you fit? I''ve got the Lotus engineered Bilsteins in my 87 and no issues as you describe. My Elise also has original Bilstein shocks, it always feels like a go cart for a few kms - but I suspect it is just my butt getting used to it again.

Cheers,

Guy

I also have noticed this phenomenon in both my stock suspensioned 94 S4 and heavily modified/lowered 85 TE suspension.

Especially after not driving the cars for several weeks, I get in, and for the first 50 miles or so the ride is very harsh... feel every little pebble and paint lines in the road..... bangs the car harder..... then, after the 50 miles or so, the ride gets smooth..... stays smooth for up to a week or so(if not driven). I tried to figure it out, and I came up with the thought that the shocks are much stiffer than normal suspension cars, and with a very light weight of the chassis, it reacts to the shock oil being sluggish until it has a chance to get "kneaded" and soft. ALso, it could be a combo of enging mounts, bushings, etc all working together.

It is definitely something that I have not noticed on any of the other cars I drive, except my Cadillac Allante' which does it a little.

All the best,

Paul

I had this on my Honda with the Honda lowering kit, I think its just that the fluids etc have not been moved around.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Thanks guy's this does make sense, but not having experienced it before I was starting to think I was kidding myself.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)