free hit
counters
Window switch lights permanently on? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Window switch lights permanently on?

Evening all,

Since reconnecting a charged battery I have noticed that the window switch lights are on permanently?

Any thoughts?

Ta

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Rich,

Are you saying they are on with the key off and out of the ignition? If so, I've never seen that on any S4 or S4s that I've owned or worked on so I'd say something is not right unless UK cars are different from Fed cars for some reason.

edit:

In looking at the wiring diagrams, if you have a one-touch system then the wiring is different from our cars over here as we don't have that but I still don't see why your switch indicator lights would be on. Maybe there is a resistor that's gone bad...

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

LED lights should be off.

When you disable the alarm the LED lights will come on for a set amount of time, the same when you turn the car off. They remain on for about 30 seconds.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

OK thanks, looks like I have a problem, the interior light doesn't work either.

I'll investigate the delay unit and the interior light later on and report back.

Cheers

Rich

I had a 94 S4 and my window switch lights were on all the time too.

I sent the car into Lotus themselves and they said it's normal and such a minor drain that it would be fine......that said my battery drained in a week flat.

I am pretty sure, as Simon said, that it is meant to be like that.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I have the same issue and disconnected my switches for a week and the car is fine but it has been killing my battery in under a week. While mine is in bits for a week I'm going to rewire the live to the ignition so they turn off. Also buy a trickle charger it's been great in mine since buying a new battery.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I had another look and think they were actually off last night.... curiouser and curiouser...

Rewire is a good ide or at least repalce with LEDs so the drain is much lower.

• 2 months later...

Just an update:

If your window switch lights stay on your doors switches are knackered!

The window switch lights mean the windows will still work all the time.

I finally got sick of the interior light not working so investigated the door switch.

One of the connections was corroded - cleaned it up and it started to work and the window switch lights went out!

Rich

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I appreciate this is an old post but I can't see it stated what the actual situation is. I have always had battery drain issue on the car. Even with the interior lights / door lights working correctly. The windows switch light although very faint always seem to be on. Recently after a load of work on my car the door switches went duff so replaced and eventually got all door lights and courtesy lights working as they should. Well apart from the courtesy light going off immediately on door close which is a pain if it's very dark. Anyway the window switch lights are still always on and I'm still getting battery drain. I've also swapped all internal lighting to LEDs so I known it ain't those. Window switch lights or ecu, or any better suggestions?

Can the window switches be opened safely without damage ?

Would be great to put this issue the rest if anyone can help.

After several hours reading any and all related posts, it appears I'll be multi-metering the battery and pulling fuse to further isolate the issue. Frustratingly, plenty of reports of this problem but very little actual stated resolutions or confirmed causes.

Could the battery drain be related to the type of alarm/immobiliser you have? I can usually go a couple of weeks without recharging the battery. I assume modern generation alarms/immobilisers use less power.

I don't expect you to answer this (for security reasons).

I have a smart trickle charger from Cetek on my other car. It has standard and optional plug-in "comfort" connectors, so you don't have to clip/unclip alligator clips on battery terminals. Handy and safe. I'm not sure if any of the connectors suit the Lotus, though.

Cheers

Ian.

My window switch lights have always been on as long as I've had the car. My battery has also been prone to draining quickly, especially in the winter. I have checked the battery and never found a drain big enough to cause a quick flattening battery, although I do personally believe the drain is the alarm system, I have a Scorpion one fitted.

I have stripped the drivers light switch recently as it was being dicky and playing up. The led is a very small one in the switch, I had to clean the switch contacts to make it work properly again. Even after fiddling around with it the lights are still on, you can no longer get the switches from Lotus as I enquired, discontinued item, maybe on eBay. I swapped the drivers one after repairing it with the passenger switch.

My battery did recently die on me and would no longer hold the charge, so I swapped it with another good one I had. The car goes longer than a week now and has so far started every time. I do have a portable trickle charger to keep the battery topped up in the winter months.

Edited by OwenGT3

Thanks for the comments. My alarm immobiliser is whatever is stock. There has been something additional fitted at one time as there in an additional small key hole a little nearer the steering wheel from the ignition.

It will be weekend now before I can run the fuse pull tests but I'll report back my findings. I'll leave the window switches alone for now.

Mine appear to be on all the time. I just changed the battery for a new one because I flattened it by "fixing" the non-functioning interior light and didn't realise it was on 24/7 as was the bonnet courtesy light due to a duff switch. 

if the battery goes totally flat then it *may* not be recoverable, depending on the battery state and how long it's discharged for.

Therefore a CTEK charger or similar is the best option if you have power available in your garage.

I got mine from here:

Yuasa Car Battery - call MDS as the car batteries are collection only - 0800 310 2100

(Note: they also do Odyssey Racing batteries - more expensive but better) - http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/departments/department003.asp?DepartmentID=248&DepartmentName2=Odyssey+Extreme+Racing+Batteries

CTEK Charger - http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/departments/department003.asp?DepartmentID=203&DepartmentName2=Battery+Chargers

:shock: Cant quite believe this! I believe I've stumbled on a major break through about the window switch lights mystery.

After messing with my CC pump tonight, I knew my battery would be drained and probably dead if I left it over night. So I went back out unlocked the car, opened the bonnet removed the Window switch relay closed the bonnet and sure enough the window switch lights were off. Put the relay on the drivers seat ready for the morning, closed the drivers door and the courtesy light stayed on! WTF!

Locked the car and the courtesy light went out. Tried this in reverse, so unlocked the car, got in, shut the door, the courtesy light stayed on for about 20 seconds and went off all by its self!

Checked again on existing the car and the courtesy light stays for a while so you can lock your car.

So Rich H was totally correct! - The window switches lights should shut off automatically when the courtesy light goes out but they don't because we have the wrong relay type in our cars.

What is interesting is that the new relay appears to be missing a single pin contact from one of the corners. The original relay as well as the relay socket in the car has a plug but on the new relay no pin for it.

My relay is new recently from SJ Sportscars listed specifically for the S4. Its a Hella (4RA 933 332 - 15) 12v 40A.

For some reason this relay is disabling the courtesy light delay circuit. My guess is this is also leaving the window switches permanently full powered and the window switch lights on seriously contributing to battery drain.

OK I've done the hard part :thumbsup:. Now what relay should we really be using in our cars so I can get those bloody window switch lights off finally!

Please can some one whose window switch lights shut off with please let us know a part number on the Windows Switch Relay ?

So this picture shows the original relay and the pin configuration. All correctly matched to the parts manual.

The SJ relay I bought is missing the two corner pins. But has all the same 5 male spade connectors. The windows work perfectly, but clearly this relay is supply permanent 12v to the window switches and leaving the window switch lights on. If that was bad enough I also stops the courtesy light delay from working and to top it all off - my best is this is also the cause of the infamous battery drain!

Anyone know of a truly suitable replacement part for this relay ?

post-558-0-15299500-1439505766.jpg

post-558-0-48443100-1439505773.jpg

Hi Qavion,

Don't know my VIN off hand but my S4 has the new revised wiring harness and plastic header tank. However, I did just miss out on getting the Brembo brakes by a few cars. :-(

And yes should have made thank more explicit - it is indeed the Window Lift Relay!

Sorry, I must have been cross-eyed. The part numbers are the same for the S4 (pre/post revised wiring harness change). Prior to the S4 (Early Stevens), however, there was a different relay.

In the Early Stevens book, the Lotus number is A089M6057 (1 off), fitted to the underbonnet relay rack.

In the S4 book, the Lotus number is A100M6104F (4 off), fitted on door access panels. This seems to correlate to the numbers provided by the major distributors of this relay (De Roures, Elise Shop, Belle & Colvill, etc). SJ Sportscars seem to have their own relay (SJSJ089M0012). Perhaps you could ask one of the other distributors if they have an original Lotus relay?

Cheers

Ian.

Edited by Qavion