free hit
counters
Aftermarket springs and dampeners advice - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Aftermarket springs and dampeners advice

I would like to reduce body-roll in hard cornering. When pushing hard, my 99v8 seems to lift a bit more than I like in the rear. . It doesn't really oversteer, just lifts a bit more than is comfortable. I have installed a 350 anti-roll bar and the car turns in and sticks really nice, however the body roll feels like it could be better. Thinking of installing either 350 or final edition springs and dampeners, front and back. I'm a believer in factory engineering an parts as far as proper balance goes, however when confronted with saving about half price; I was wondering if anyone can give me any realworld advice about springs and dampeners like the Type s 350 setups from P.U.K. or any others which are specifically sold for V8 esprits...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pose your question to the factory.

Or, if it's only body roll you're trying to reduce, a stiffer front ARB, and a smaller adjustable one on the rear, to balance out the understeer a stiffer front one will produce.

Having said that, you would need to know the characteristics of the current ARB which leads you back to the factory.

Also get some one to take some pics or a video of it hard cornering so you can see exactly what it's doing.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

install an roll-cage, connected to all of the spring platforms. This at least makes it possible to fit any stiffer springs like in track-cars from factory -an effective suspension can only work best with an stable chassis. :rolleyes:

All other options with stiffer springs in aftermrket suspension-kits will in the end suffer from the *central-chassis* conception . From my point, I have body roll and an wheel lift to on track, but would say that an LSD can cure most of the wheel-spin resulted on wheel lift ?! So the car will still be drivable without all those hard suspension changes as any other stock V8 from factory..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thank you for replies. I'm out here in the shadow lands (USA) and appricate the help. I'm flexable and not at all set on one coarse...The cure can be worse than the disease. For fast weekend, road driving, do you think installing final addition or 350 springs and dampeners actually add significant cornering stability, keeping in mind, fast is never fast enough, but enjoying the car and having fun is the final objective.. I'm I correct in assuming 350's are somewhat harsh riding as would be the case for a more or less track ready car.

normally the S350 should be the lighter car ?! So the kN-load setup on the springs should differ notable.. . If you now fit those springs from the new factory engineered Eibach/Bilstein suspension kit into your '99V8 -do you really think this will handle well ..?

From point of 'daily driver car' , and drivable on open road/town in general ...isn't the suspension specially calibrated for the ordinary (SE/GT) V8 far more usable instead .. :rolleyes:

Take a look into the tables (the link should be there , ask Bibs..) from the Lotus-factory suspension. So you can even 'adopt' other springs (more locally available) from the aftermarket with similar kN rates. And you can use dampers as you like -otherwise just go for the factory-replacement kit.

For me it would be an more stiffer main chassis first (fully *race ready croll cage*), prior to any stiffening on the springs or ARB.

Thanks for reminding me of relationship between curb weight and suspension specifications as well as points cocerning rigidity. I need to do more research. For my purposes -- fast cornercarving, to forget all the other crap for a moment-- the car is more than enough. http://www.youtube.com/user/TurbohosesRD#p/u/u-all/1/w774OM2w9po in this video at 5:15 to 5:55 is car on track. Not the greatest, but somewhat viewable. In the video you can see I was making up time on the modified Noble ahead by hard braking and pushing through corners so I take nothing away the car. After driving logging truck for 18 years, the feeling of things starting to lift and bodyroll are sences which become accute. I'm thinking the lotus feels how it feels, and thats probably how it can do what it does....which is alot.

• 1 month later...

Removed toyo T1s and installed Nitto nt05's.. big improvement - car feels much tighter in cornering and cleaned up spungee sensation on turnin and exit....an added bonus .. the car feels different enough that my wife for the first time had enough confidence to push the car though a corner.. "Hang on "

you let your wife track your car ? -so it's not only your wife that feels confident then ?! :rolleyes: