free hit
counters
Scared of driving it for the first time... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Scared of driving it for the first time...

Rich H

Hey all,

I need to get this S4 MOT'd but I'm not that happy about driving it for the first time without a working water temp gauge.

I was planning on booking the MOT for tomorrow so I've got a couple of days to fix stuff before I want to go to Tatton Park so I'm unlikely to find a replacement sender by then.

If I'd extracted my finger I could have had one in the post by now...:censored:

The rad gets hot so the cooling system is working, the oil stabilised at 80 degrees, the oil P is half a gauge at cold idle and drops off to 1.5-2 tick marks when hot, the sporadic miss seems to have got less frequent

But I've not run it until the fans kick in and the heater is still cold... Should I let it run till the fans kick in and keep an eye on the temp with an external thermometer strapped to the thermostat housing?

Should I stop being a mincer and just get on with it or should I delay and change the sender first?

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Mincer! the temp sender should be available locally - go for it!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

:lol: Cheers!

I'll bung some more fuel in it (It's down under 1/4 on the gauge) and run it.

Any ideas where I might find an appropriate temp sender locally? I figured it must just be a GM part but I've been searching but can't find anything....

TIA

Rich

OK will do!

Phoned local parts place, they haev 2 in stock. Looks like it's an alternate part with a spade connector in place of the stud but I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers

Rich

Just phone Peugeot and they can get new tanks for £31.26+VAT but I have to go in and pay before they will order one

So I have spashed out on a S/H tank for £8 as it includes the level sender which is knackered on mine!

If the S/H one isn't much cop I'll just pinch the level sender and buy a new tank.

Cheers

Rich

:sorcerer: MOT booked for tomorrow

Drivinging it legally on the road fro the first time!

It's going to take time for me to get to trust it not to blow up and adjust my paranoia down to sensible levels...

SJ SportsCars have the Temp sender for the gauge (A082N4040F for £23).

What's the rush for the MOT by the way? Do you feel it's ready to cruise on the roads?

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

Always have a backup plan - I have one of those thermometer jobbies with the leads on to help me in these circumstances.

The 106 gets'hot' but not sure how hot so I tape a sensor onto a pipe and look...

Can you not freescan it ?

facebook = [email protected]

No freescan cable :thumbdown: I'm hoping Superdave will come visit and bring one with him!

I'm also working on making my own...

The hope is to get to Tatton Park classic can sportscar show on Saturday!

There is nothing more I can do without getting some miles on it and finding the faults....

Also I just want to drive it.... :cheers: I've been working continuously for 2 weeks bringing it back to life and I've only driven it on and off the drive!

I know you know this, but whatever you do, don't let it overheat due to the dodgy sender/gauge. If you have an air pocket as you described earlier it may idle and the coolant temp be fine but then shoot up very quickly once you start driving.

1995 S4s

Paranoia will be set to 11...

I'll take my thermometer with me and poke the outlet pipes to get a direct temp reading after driving there.

If anything isn't spot on then I'll stop and go straight home after it's cooled.

I'm hoping a drive will help get any remaining airlocks shifted but it stopped bubbling yesterday.

Edited by Rich H