free hit
counters
How to guide? Drivers side steering rack gaiter, Elise S1 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How to guide? Drivers side steering rack gaiter, Elise S1

Can someone with experience of such things post a quick and easy step-by-step guide how to change the drivers side steering rack gaiter on an S1 Elise please?

Any potential problems to look out for, is it an easy job?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

even if 'drivers side' means LH for me -yes, after you find that there really is an way between all those unused 'simultainusly mirror image fittet rivets' within the ali-channel !

The sometimes mentioned FIAT X1/9 ,Fiat UNO (see Seloc) part does fit and is still available (around 5Euros in aftermarket motor store..) ..sits tight on the rack housing (as it is slightly smaller compared with the OEM) , but does have the same step within the gaiter.some examples, have to see which one I've used on mine... http://www.teilesuch...-83556?c=100201

http://www.teilesuch...2699&view=83927

first step: undo the bolt holding the steering-shaft joint onto the steering-rack (inside the footwell)

second step: undo the track rod-end nuts from the track-rod on both sides (or alternatively, if you not want to 'realign' the steering later on : undo the whole track-rod ends at once)

third step: undo the four screws holding the steering rack in thje ali-profile channel.

fourth step: tilt the steering rack , in a way that it is possible to move it sideways (there is not much space between the hole in the footwell front sheet & the steering rack 'short shaft' ..) , fiddle it between the rivets more sideways, until you can get it out at all -or until you can just reach the point were the gaitor is attached onto the steering rack casing.

...and of course, on reassembly -after you have 'fiddlet' the rack into the chanel again, first attach the steering rack shaft joint onto the spline in its position. Otherwise , if the steering rack is bolted on to the channel first (with the four screws..) you get in tropuble with the intermediate shaft between shaft joint & the rest of the steering shaft under the dash -as its to long. Sometimes it does help in such cases just to loose the srews holding the whole steering on the dash (behind/under the cover that does have the stack in it..) . Other point, the splines have an position marking for the screw, it does not fit all around if you push it together to far -so keep that in mind .

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..