free hit
counters
Stop SMOKING ! - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Stop SMOKING !

richardvg

YES after 27 years of those ridiculous things in my mouth , after all the self pity when i have tried before , after all the wrong reasons to stop - I know all the issues as any smoker does !

NO ONE LIKE TO SMOKE - ASK A SMOKER !

SMOKERS GO THROUGH LIFE WISHING THEY HAD NEVER STARTED !

this is all true ask anyone who smokes cigarettes , do they enjoy it and the answer is NO !

The habit is the difficult part to break but here is a secret for you ! the mind in the correct frame makes it easy.

I FEEL LIKE A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN SET FREE FROM A LIFETIME IN JAIL !

SO FOR ALL OF YOU THAT SMOKE - ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO STOP.

ps this is not placed for any form of financial gain or advertising - i will at least have an extra 150 pounds ( rand equivalent ) to spend on my Lotus every month.

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish!

Your post is full of sweeping generalisations. at least 50% of which I could not even begin to agree with.

You are, however, entitled to your opinions. Incorrect though they may be......

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Personally, I hate and detest smoking with a passionate intensity; I have never taken so much as one puff. Foul idea. My mate Bob, on the other hand, smokes because he likes it....the whole act of smoking is enjoyable to him. He is a serial giver-upper, and has managed several years smoke free in the past....but he always goes back to it, because he really enjoys it. I, of course, cannot understand that one bit....

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I quit smoking just over two years ago now and whilst I think it's one of the best things I've ever done with my life (and I now can't abide the smell of smoking, being around smokers etc) when I did smoke I loved it! I enjoyed smoking, I enjoyed that first ciggie of the day, I enjoyed the smell of it, the taste of it the social aspect of a cigarette break and so on. I must admit though I enjoy the exrta ~£2k a year more though!

Never tried it, never going to - best way to stop is never to start,

I can't stand it either and its so nice with smoking ban to be able to go into a pub and not come home smelling like an ashtray at the end of the evening, I used to be in a band some years ago and it could be so bad after a gig that I couldn't have the clothes I had worn that night in the bedroom when going to sleep!

Also a major reason I broke up with my last GF, she smoked and I just hated it.

Well done for giving up!

Edited by Nelly9000

I gave up about 2 & 1/2 years ago, after many years.

Am I pleased, yes

Do I miss it , yes

I think after 2 & 1/2 years I am classified as a non smoker

What paid for the re-spray of my Esprit earlier this year, the cigarettes I didn't smoke

When I stopped I opened a savings account and paid the cost of a carton of cigarettes per week into it. I still do,

That's why I have never started again.:animier:

How I budgeted to restore the Esprit :animier:

And hopefully pay for my trip to India at the end of the year. :animier:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hey Wookie

you are obviously a smoker and if i can ask you a simple question ; Last year 300 people died in the UK from Heroin ovedose . 120 000 Died from smoking related illness .Of those that died 115 000 wish they had never smoked .Of those 102 000 believed they were hooked but could not stop.

question ; which category of them do you fall into ? When you read this , if you are a smoker , what is the first thing you will do ?

think about it - the cigarette companies love the fact that they put the fear of hell into you , because as a smoker , fear makes you light another ciggie doesn't it .

GOOD ON YOU RODGER !

i reckon that ehat you think you miss is not really there - you at least admit that sometimes you maybe reach for the packet , it's natural for the brain to do this.

So all the smokers - take Rodgers experience , all that money ,He's a rich man now , car done , India trip etc.............

I have been there and done that. Smoked and given up. I made my own mind up though. I do believe that whilst we all have the capacity to make our own minds up, people resent being told what they must do.

My own personal view to others is mind your own business and not mine.

Im very much in Laura's camp. I could have written that myself ;)

My other half still smokes and thats her perogative. I hope that she will choose to stop. Not because i want her too, but because id rather have her in my life for the longer term :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I used to be a smoker and enjoyed it. I smoked in two periods in my life, giving up the 1st time for about nearly three years. I am ok if people wish to smoke, i am not a firm believer in the passive smoking theory. Having studied and worked in toxicology for 16 years i am just not convinced that the low doses passive smokers recieve would cause the harm that is claimed. If we are to believe that then would should outlaw bbqs to help reduce the amounts of GI tract cancers

Excise and Tax revenue for 2009 for tobacco products was 10.5 billion.

Research estimates for the cost of treating people who smoked in the NHS are between 2-5 billion pounds, so for worst case scenario smokers donate an extra 5.5 billion to the NHS. No other social or health catagorised group of people donate anywhere near as much. Smokers more than pay their way in life.

Edited by Alex --GT3--

If I can just add this,,,,,,,,,,,,,

All the adds on TV to tell how bad it is to smoke

All the aids to stopping smoking

All the clinics

None of them work without one massive comitment from you, and the will power to stick to it, it ain't easy.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I quite agree with the giving up smoking option, Have done it myself after smoking for ten years, but bitten by the bug again a few years later started again and have been smoking again for the past couple of years, I enjoy smoking though and always have done, not a major heavy smoker, Still run mountains and am physically fitter than most other people my own age, Have to say though reformed smokers arew the worst! Also if you have never smoked its hard to understand the addiction.

Regards danny just my two pence.

A

Quit 3 years ago after 19 years of buffing away. Finally did it on my 5th attempt. Toughest thing I think I've had to do from a mind over matter point of view. Can't stand the smell of them now and I certainly don't miss the early morning cough to kick start the lungs.

Edited by GavinT

It's easy to quit but its harder to stay off them, I have quit over 4 years then two years ago had a couple of packs then quit again now haven't smoked for the last 2 years. No I'm not going to pick up the habbit again but it's easy to do. We all know the filling the fag gave to us and how we felt smoking it and thats why its easy to start again. But its also easy to stay off from smoking as knowing what they can do to you. I don't care about if someone wants to smoke or not its up to them, same as if someone wants to drink or eat themselfs to death. We all have a one way ticket all depends on how you want to get there.

sig.jpg

I've been 23 years smokeless and enjoyed every minute of it, like others I can no longer stand the smell of smoke or being around others who smoke.

My come to jesus moment was when I could not stop coughing without lighting up and I stopped by the docs to get the gist of what was going on and he told me what my grandfather had died of when I was 4.... Galloping lung cancer that killed him in 3 months and he was a 40 a day like myself and died young. I left the docs office dropped the fags in the bin and promptly moved to eating more chocolate than I could stand for 6 months after that. It was the whole fingers, mouth thing that prompted the chocolate binge plus it kept me mellow to a certain extent like the cigs.

Have not regretted making that tough decision, but it is a tough decision.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

The fact that it is so difficult to stop tells us of the addictive value . Imagine that it was cocaine or heroin we were discussing so casually , there would be 20 police at our doors! ( probably with fags in their mouths) , arrest us and search the house..................

but here is a ligit drug that kills an average of 5 million people a year , GOTTA BE THE WORLDS BIGGEST CON ! ( like the pharmacetical industry !)

Richard

Having studied and worked in toxicology for 16 years i am just not convinced that the low doses passive smokers recieve would cause the harm that is claimed. If we are to believe that then would should outlaw bbqs

that's a good point I had never considered.

I haven't had a cig for 1 year, 10 months, 6 days, 12 hours ...... And (can you tell) still miss it. Used to really enjoy it especially after food or with a pint.

Got through 4 packets of Hamlets in Le Mans this year (enjoyment factor only) but nothing since.

No problem at all with anybody around me smoking.

I sure I am, but don't feel any healthier or wealthier since stoping.

Those that don't - well done. Those that do - enjoy! :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Alex

one thing you can say is that " nothing has changed since you stopped "

therefore begs the question " why start again then ? "

Lots has changed in my life since i stopped smoking, but none of them yet has pushed me to take up smoking again, doesnt mean i never will though.

I think that to state that of the 120000 people who died of smoking, 115,000 said they wished they hadn't smoked doesn't really surprise me!! I thought it would be more! It doesn't really prove the majority of smokers want to stop. Who wouldn't regret doing something they know has killed them!

I have no probs with people smoking, but I do expect them to show a little respect for others who don't. I can be mildly asthmatic depending on my state of health, and if someone is puffing away merrily a foot or so away from me, it makes me cough a lot. I respect there right to smoke, and would also expect them to perhaps show a little consideration and move a little away.

I don't like the entrenched views that both smokers and non smokers seem to back themselves into when the smoking/non smoking debate gets going.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

aaah Trevor , herein lies the trick that the advertising companies realised ( smoking) ;

smokers believe that the ciggies help with tension , anxiety and stress , hence why they collect a myriad of ciggies in case ....

so when a smoker has a slightly raised blood pressure whether it be by stress ,anxiety and fear , what is the first thing they do ;

LIGHT A CIGARETTE !

and therein lies the best advertising...

Richard

The worst non-smoker is an Ex-smoker :rolleyes:

I gave up at 32, 10 years ago, after smoking since I was 15, a packet, sometimes 2, a day. What stopped me? Well, the cost was getting expensive on my budget, We'd just had my twin boys, so, with 2 girls as well, the budget was tight. And lastly, there was the little case of my wife having cancer in her throat (she was a smoker as well).

For me, and it purely is for me, I'm not preaching, waking up every morning with newborn twins and a wife who was undergoing operation after operation (they found it had spread) and radiotherapy, was a nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The thought of waking up without her finally kicked me into touch, quitting smoking and committing to my new life, proposing to her shortly afterwards, after 6 years together.

Anyone can smoke if they want, I'm sure you think "it'll never happen to me"....but it does. Just be aware of that.

I've never missed smoking, since I gave up. If you do, then you gave up too early or for the wrong reason. If I need reminding why I look at my kids or the scar on my wifes neck, from ear to ear.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Good on you Kimbers

as you say ,people don't believe it will happen to them !

Hopefully the message reaches all those smokers out there in their Lotus's and hopefully they decide to kick the habit !

Richard