free hit
counters
115.2dB - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

That was the reading at Brands Hatch last night on their noise meter. I've got a cat bypass pipe and quicksilver supersports (straight) exhaust.

Now I want to do trackdays and that's not going to happen with that exhaust. I've been looking for inspiration and I need a solution (ideally temporary as I like the noise) or permanent without resorting to the original system. I'm aware of the bolt on mufflers and the like but they aren't going to be effective enough, can I add a silencer to the cat pipe or shall I have one added to the final exhaust? What sort of size would I need and is stuffed or baffled the way forward?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can you have a restricter fitted as Astons do, basically a baffle that you can operate to restrict the noise?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

$6,000.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Try one of these no? Can't promise it won't affect the overall handling though.

Noise Reduction

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Bolt ons would look queer anyways - I could hear you pretty much to larkfiled the other day btw.

FWIW it dont sound that good, none of the 4 pots really do becuase it's just noise RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA so consider just turning it down, it's actually painfully loud.

If you'd have called at 18:36 I could ahve told you on the phone yesterday (was playing with 4.2 litres of straight 6 loveliness) - jetex made a small muffler that I use in the GT2's cat position which kinda works, this might be an option.

I simply cut the pipe to the CAT and bolted it on - thats something you might wanna try.

Have a gander.

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetexcustomexhaustparts.php

I havent tried this under race temperatures so, but it should be OK, perhaps a small duct up there would help ?

facebook = [email protected]

Over here your car would be impounded and defaulted, until noise reduced to below 90 db. I had to put a restricter in the tail pipe to comply for the original engineers certificate. Unfortunately it has since fallen out.:( A restricter will screw your top end.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I would have thought a silenced crp or a sports cat would do the job

Fitted the Larini, sounds beautiful, it really does.

110.8dB.

Getting there :)

Evora NA

when i tried to get a Larini 6 months ago they told me they had stopped making them for the 2.2 esprit so i got the same system you had, Bloody loud or what., with all my engine mods its growling and banging like an angry whore,..!! still it sounds great and it hasn't been out of the garage yet..... Track days may be a problem.!!!

Bibs,

I was looking for the Larini buy thread but found this instead. At 110db it is too noisy for me as I would like to take it on the track too. I have a Larini on the VX220 which is very good. Can they make a system to the same noise output as my VX as that has no probs with track days.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

My problem is lack of cat Trevor. I'm going to re-install it, that will get me low enough for trackdays.

Evora NA

Simple solution:

http://www.esprits4.de/S400/MODS.html

Electric bypass valve, just need to make sure the streight pipe is on the cut off side.....

It still vents throughthe muffler side when opened......

Cheers

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg