free hit
counters
Oil stat? - Page 4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rich H

Oil stat?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Where are you ordering from Glyn?

Ordered from Burton Performance Ian.

You have PM.

A thought just occurred to me...

Fitting the oil stat to a rebuilt engine with new coolers etc will mean everything is dry. When the engine is first filled with oil it will give a false reading. And worse will be when the oil is up to temp and the engine starved of oil whilst the coolers and oil lines full up and the oil level drops.

Drawing my own conclusions now but must the oil cooler pipework be filled and any techniques which folks use?

Glyn

Hi Guys, just to answer a couple of questions.

The plate came with everything required to fit it.

As for priming, I had this thought and called Mocal. Their response was that the stat will never physically block oil from entering the cooler, there is simply a bypass that is open when the oil is cold. This means the oil will take the path of least resistance and allow the lines and coolers to fill. When hot, the bypass closes and forces the oil to go through the cooler.

Although they have said it's designed this way to avoid the need to prime. My advice would be to prime the best you can, then pull the plugs and injector fuses and crank by hand followed by the starter. Might be OTT but better safe than sorry.

Cam

I back filled my cooler lines and new cooler until they overflowed before I connected them to my newly rebuilt engine.  They took quite a large amount of oil.  Im not sure I would fire the engine up on empty lines. Too many things to think about and one thing you know for sure its they should be full of oil.

That's my thinking too but it was just to clarify that flow to and from the coolers isn't blocked by the thermostat, the oil is simply given another option until it's warm, at which point it's forced through the coolers.

There's so much oil in the cooler lines I have often thought there should be a drain tap at the front end to reduce the amount of dirty oil left in during a change.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I'm wondering how much engine oil is in the coolers and pipelines? By the amount that leaked out on my garage floor overnight when I took the engine out, I'd say about a litre, maybe a bit more. Whatever, it was a few rag's worth.

Margate Exotics.

Oil stat fitted this afternoon. I did have to file one corners off each fitting to clear the oil filter.

A nice addition but only with an oil temperature guage to cover you for the day the thermostat packs up and doesn't open.