free hit
counters
One last look at the Evora? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

One last look at the Evora?

Stirling_Villeneuve

I've been a Lotus owner for over 20 years, I love the marque BUT here's my problem...

I've had various Elise's for 10 years now and I need a change. I've thought very seriously about Esprits and decided finally they're not for me after a fireball incident put me of slightly! However, all was not lost as the Evora came along, although for some reason I've never been convinced. I had a rather sedate test drive last year and I'm sure drives fantastically but for me at least the styling's not quite there, the 2+2 is beyond useless for anyone over the age of 3 and the reports of early car build quality quite honestly reminded me of the Lotus of old!

I'm a patient sort of guy though so I thought I'd give it a year and see what the market is like. A year later and for less than the price of a s/h or demo Evora I can take my pick of Aston Martin Vantages, there's a lot of low mileage cars out there, many from official dealers too, 05, '06 models with the factory backup plan. To me the Aston just exudes class, great styling, a real supercar and with an engine to match the price!

I would honestly love to stay with Lotus, I can see running costs being less but to be honest for upwards of £42k the idea of owning an Aston is about to lure me away. The other thing that worries me is the fact I've never seen an Evora on the road, not one... ever! Did they sell any?

So I'm quite serious here.... any reasons why I should take a final look at the Evora?

Thanks in advance! sofa.gif

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello,

well, maybe I can add my thougths and experiences with the Evora I received 9 weeks ago.

Yes, built quality is now (much) better than in the early ones.

There has been development in many details.

For me, the quirky Alpine left aside aswell as the radio reception weakness, the Evora 2010 is a great car!

After about 3.500 km I can say that it runs like hell, I do not miss any "extra power".

Especially on winding country roads, with 50 to 130 km/h it is the best I ever had the chance to drive with!

It works fine aswell in town for all-day-purposes.

During the first 3.500 km it consumed between 9 and 11 litre per 100 km.... I like that more than 18 to 25 litres that other "supercars" are in need of - for a similar cruising-fun.

And my 7-year old boy is happy on the +2 seats.

Up to about 1.55 - 1.60 m height he will be able to sit in the second row.

Comfortably!

I like the car, I like the whole spirit.

And I can live with the fact of seeing thousands of Porsches in Germany, but maybe only some 40 or 50 Evoras...

Greetings from Southern Germany,

Alexander

3 month waiting list for an Evora, they're selling very well. :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That's good to know, I'm just really surprised I've never seen one on the road. Anyway, I'm going to take looks at my local dealers stock tomorrow, see what's about and talk a little Lotus...gathering.gif

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I'm guessing you're UK based in which case Lotus only planned on selling 400/year to this market so there aren't many on the roads. Think how many Elise/Exige have been sold and they are still a rare sight, the Evora has an exclusivity that a limited supply provides. You'll turn heads due to this, something that won't happen in an Aston unless you go down the very expensive DBS route or similar as there are a fair number of DB9/Vantage's on the road and they've been on the roads for some time. As nice as they are, comparatively they're 'old' cars now, the Evora is new, fresh and multi-award winning, the thinking man's and indeed the 'drivers' choice.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Main reason I'd buy an Evora is the handling (not much use if you dont push it), the exclusivity and the liklihood it'll hold value which modern Lotus' do fairly well.

Astons.....see 3-4 a day serious they are getting like Porsches now....

...but £50-60 gets you a good looking Aston, what I'd be looking at is why their price has face planted.

Brand new DB9 is £120 big ones.

Add 4 years and a few tips to the theatre (30,000 on an engine like that is NOTHING, prob not even run in) and they're under £50 grand....whysat then ?

£60 grand would net you a vanquish again thats a £140 grand car

Evora or Vanquish...since you put it like that...LOL

facebook = [email protected]

Hmmm interesting discussion but does logic come into an emotive purchase when it comes to cars like this? I know you are not coming new to Lotus like I was so obviously not a truly logical decision making process up to now anyway but balancing new Evora against 4 year old Aston so much will come down to what is feel good for you personally today. I would never try and say one better than the other and each offer different experiences. Yes my very early car has had some build issues (& the dealer has been great so far) and yes I love driving it. I also think the Aston is nicer looking and know exactly we here you are coming from on the styling. I love the Aston look. I also have heard all the usual horror stories from a DB9 owning friend as well as a friend in the trade.

I also know exactly what you are feeling because I ordered the Evora a year and a bit before I ever took delivery of it and meanwhile every time I visited my dealer in my common old Porsche I had to walk past rows of Astons as they like many do both marques. My wife & I were tugged for sure. To this day I can see plusses and minuses

The choice we can never make for you.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

..... the Evora has an exclusivity that a limited supply provides. You'll turn heads due to this, something that won't happen in an Aston unless you go down the very expensive DBS route or similar as there are a fair number of DB9/Vantage's on the road and they've been on the roads for some time. As nice as they are, comparatively they're 'old' cars now, the Evora is new, fresh and multi-award winning, the thinking man's and indeed the 'drivers' choice.

I must admit I can't tell which Aston is which. They all look alike to me. They are gorgeous but they do seem scared to go away from the basic Vanquish styling.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I'm an Aston Martin and Lotus dealer.

When you drive them, concentrate on..

a) Ride quality on a bumpy road

b) Quality of gear selection

c) Quality of steering feedback and feel

d) Feeling of nimbleness and agility

Also consider cost of ownership (servicing, tax disc, P11D value if a company car, fuel consumption).

When you've made the comparisons, buy the Evora.

Stirling, why not go and see Guy ? If I were in the market for either an Aston or a Lotus Strattons would be one of my 1st ports of call (if not THE 1st)

Is it one of those things where an Aston is something you turn up in, an Evora is something you enjoy the ride so much you sod the event and go hooning with :lol:

Sadly never driven an Evora :(

I should get my ass in gear but my local dealer is miles away :(

2 miles infact... hehehe

Out of interest Guy what is the service cost on a an Evora vs something like a Vanquish ?

Definitely some food for thought there... perhaps all is not lost!

Here's my thoughts right this second. Firstly having seen an Evora today it's much better looking than I remembered although I'm not too sure I agree with Bib's comments. To me the Aston's a classic look, that grill is timeless, on the other hand I don't think the Evora is an individual a design as it could have been. it's essentially a big Elise from a lot of angles and that's been around a long time. In short for me at least the Aston still has the edge in the looks dept.

One big advantage of the Evora would be servicing, etc. but at the moment there's plenty of Vantages for less money than any Evora I've seen on the forecourt so I guess things may well even out over the years of ownership. I'd love to hear Guys service figures on the pair, I'm sure it would make for interesting reading, prices on things like brakes, clutches too would be good to know. I've tried looking around at official Aston service prices and they're not exactly forthcoming... either that or I've not found the right site yet!

I agree that comparing a 4 year old Aston to an almost new Evora isn't wholly fair but that's a situation the market has made possible, I've no idea why the Aston has dropped so much, probably running costs, etc, but it'll be interesting to see in the percentage terms what you pick an Evora up for in another 3-4 years. For the record I discounted my '3rd Option' a while ago... Maserati 4200 or Gransport and they're even less money, an '06 would set you set you back £30-35k. A proper 2+2, nicely understated styling, another great engine and a potential money pit with the added bonus of Italian electronics and Ferrari service costs. In short I'm not that brave/daft depending on your viewpoint!

Anyway, thanks one and all, this is proving to be very helpful.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Must agree the Aston is a superb looking car. One of the best looking cars on the road. Timeless design. Its quite simple to look at which makes it timeless. Cars like the 458 etc will date quite quickly I'd imagine.

I think this is what Lotus were aiming for, similar to McLaren with the MP12 thing, they went for the more simple timeless look.

To me, the S1 elise and exige although still nice, look dated. The S2 elise and exige will also date IMO.

Servicing on the Evora is about £399 a year (Guy could confirm this?) but I'm not sure what the Aston is. I have looked but not had much concrete answers.

I found that with Jaguar, my misses wanted one a few months back an no dealer would come clean about the service cost.

When you consider my 4 pot Esprit is...

£300 A service

£750 B service

£1200 C service

I know the Evora is cheapr, but like you I dont find some car companies very convincing about the service costs - now if they are going to keep things from me as a perspective customer do I really want to buy into that vehicle ?

My dad works for his mate 1 day a week and they are restoring a DB5 and some of their dealings with Aston have been, interesting to say the least...

I also agree Astons are beautiful, if not one of the most perfectly designed cars about, problem is they are common and not really a head turner anymore - depends if you want that from a car ? personally I couldn't care much about what people think of my car, I like it - I didn't buy it for other people.

With the Evora winning so many awards I would expect it to hold price for a while - S1 Elises are bounding now (seem to have stopped at £8k mark) - Exiges are stupid money (early £20,000 even the S1s are holding fast and in demand)

Seriously if I had this kinda money to spend I would get on the blower to Stratons, sure they'd be delighted to set you up a few demos.

• Like 1

When talking about Aston/Jag, keep in mind the DB9 styling derived from the DB7, which was in itself originally going to be the new Jag F Type back in the day (when Aston and Jag both owned by Ford). When the bosses saw how nice the design was they nicked it off Jag and put it into Aston Martin, leaving the Jag designers a nightmare race against time to come up with another design that eventually became the modern XK8..

You could argue that the Aston is derived from a Jaguar!

All this "allegedly" of course!!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I also agree Astons are beautiful, if not one of the most perfectly designed cars about, problem is they are common and not really a head turner anymore - depends if you want that from a car ? personally I couldn't care much about what people think of my car, I like it - I didn't buy it for other people.

Seriously if I had this kinda money to spend I would get on the blower to Stratons, sure they'd be delighted to set you up a few demos.

Hi Jonathan,

Quite the opposite, I've had enough of head turning... I'm looking for an altogether more sedate look, ( within reason!), so no isotope green for me! It's interesting to note that the cheapest Aston Vantage from an official dealer is Toro Red, sort of a Canyon Red colour, it looks great IMO but it's probably not the easiest of colours to sell an Aston.

I, like a number of others, was looking at a vantage (and R8) before plumping for the Evora. To say I was close to buying an aston is an understatement as I missed out on buying an aston by a number of hours twice.

I guess Guy's summary is not a bad one (he pursuaded me). In the end the Evora has some obvious compromises (particularly in the cabin/switchgear/interior toys), but I'm not sure the Aston is too far behind in the list of compromises in those departments even if it looks "swisher" inside on first acquainance. (Ask an owner about the Aston sat-nav, or reading the analogue speedo or the digital speedo in the sun). Equally I'm not really sure the build quality of the Aston is so far ahead of the Evora either.

The bottom line for me was this:

* The aston was lots more expensive (to buy and own)

* The Evora was an easier day to day proposition for me (softer/more comfortable/quieter)

* The rear seats are usable on occasion for under 10's (in my experience)

The killer was the Evora made the Aston feel like an underdeveloped tractor to me (not at all fair, but hey I'm biased). It was "lighter" and more precise to drive at any speed. If they where people the Evora said to me "hey come and have a drive and a chat, lets have a laugh" where as the Vantage was more along the lines of "do you know who I am, I'm a bit loud and deserve respect". I'd like to be seen with the Aston, but I'd marry the Evora!!!

The Aston is a lovely car (and without doubt in my mind more beautiful by far), but it was horses for courses and I picked the Evora for everyday fun. Let's hope Lotus see existing owners "right" with the S upgrades...

• Like 1

I found that with Jaguar, my misses wanted one a few months back an no dealer would come clean about the service cost.

When you consider my 4 pot Esprit is...

£300 A service

£750 B service

£1200 C service

My C-service when i took it to a dealer was £840, factory B service was about £460. You are been overcharged matey.

Now i use an independat, A-service was under £150! A C-serive at teh exotics is less than £840.

I thikn the esprit is cheap to run is some ways

Ok, here goes..

Annual service inc parts, labour and VAT Evora £375 V8 Vantage £895

Brake discs Evora £112 each V8 Vantage £117 each

Brake Pads Evora £134 set V8 Vantage £220 set

Cutch cover, plate and bearing Evora £235 V8 Vantage £1065

Servicing on Evora 9000 miles/annually and on the V8 Vantage it's 10000 miles/annually. All parts +VAT and fitting.

Tax disc Evora £235 V8 Vantage £435

Official Fuel Consumption Evora 32.5 MPG V8 Vantage 20.5 MPG

Hope this helps.

Esprit prices are from Lipscomb Lotus down the road.

I dont get over charged by more than a few pence, mainly becuase I do EVERYTHING now apart form Cambelts myself - I really find it hard nowadays to pay someone to undo a drain plug on a sump, tighten it up and pour new fluid back in :lol:

Full 50,000 service on the GTi just cost me under £125 inc a new radiator - DIY, way of the future...