free hit
counters
ABS Light on until have covered several miles - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

ABS Light on until have covered several miles

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm - wonder if it's getting the vacumn it needs and after driving a bit it builds up enough for the ABS light to go out?

What happens if you start the car (assume the light comes on) and then gently keep the car revving at bit higher than normal (normal road engine speed) - does the light go out?

brake assist is from the plenum, RH on the front end (timing brelt side) an black rubber hose with around 12-15mm diameter outside ..this goes down in the engine bay in front of the engine , there is an 'one-way' valve in the lower frame area in front of the engine ...this hose goes up to the front of the car. You can feel an inconsistency on brake support if the hose is coming loose on the engine, or the hose clamp is loose, or the hose is brittle over time and the vibration of the engine causes an leak somewhere near the clamp.

As for ABS -what's with road speed signal from the sensors, do you have non factory tire applications in use ..or to much pressure differences front/rear or something like this ??

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks for the response Gunter ( appologies for missing umlaut ) will try to check that hose, as for tyres i am running michelin pilot of the correct rating and at the proper pressure, i have no way of testing the wheel speed sensors but feel that this problem lies elsewhere as the light does not go out when the ignition is primed before the engine is started had hoped it ,ight be a fuse or relay problem.Will remove and clean wheel speed sensors.Do you theink this could be something to do with either the accumulator or the brake pressure switch ?

as it is an V8-GT ,this car should not have the 4-pot *Delco* system with all its 'worries' ?! So on wich ''accumulator and pressure switch'' do you refer ?

The 4-pot Freescan/Espritmonitor or whatever Interface-projects in this forum are not ready in terms of V8-ABS so far as I know it. So it could help to contact an official Lotus service just for connecting an Tech1 (with the matching ABS cartridge) to the car. With the stored codes in the moment of starting/driving the car for the first mile (as within your description..) you have an base to work on. 'We' have a lot of informations out of the workshop-books here in the board. But problem for most is to contact ABS , SIR and imobiliser ...faults within the ECM are more easy to handle (as for the more improved DIY analysis tools/interfaces for that..)

Edited by Günter

As noted before , I would also say an 'sendsor irritation' ...especially as this can be simulatet on winter & icy roads ..with an serious wheelspin or drift. In most cases I've got an ABS warning too in such situations -and after some 'meters' or at least an straight away distance with sufficient speed the system 'recalibrates' and the light goes out.

Your discription sound similar in the point of 'recalibration' and the light goes out after some rotation of the wheels. So check for codes first until the light goes out. Would guess it will say 'unplausible sensor signal' ..or something like that. The cause for the implausible signal could be rust on the pole-wheel or and mismatch on the gap, or an faulty contact in the wiring-plug.