free hit
counters
Esprit V8 Dipstick Tube - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit V8 Dipstick Tube

Guest modifiedv8engines

Can anyone out there measure ( acurately please) the overall lenght of the V8 dipstick tube from the union/fitting on the cylider block to the top of the tube.

Just about finished my engine rebuild etc etc and have discovered the dipstick tube cannot be fitted with the exhaust manifld in place .......handy !!

Old DST was badly corroded so intend to make one up out of some areoquip pipe I have left over from the turbo water/oil pipes I made

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that you´re approaching the end of your rebuild.

All of this info is in the Service Manual - you really should get one. :thumbsup:

I think that you may struggle to get the dipstick positioned for an accurate measurement using a flexible pipe... there is also the sealing of the tube to consider. :dizzy:

The standard dipstick position is measured from the bottom of the tube to where is exits the block. I would recommend getting hold of a new tube, which are available from aftersales.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Beware though, they are expensive. The tube I bought in May of this year was about £110 and the flexible inner was just over £16.50. The tube and dipstick can probably be made for less than that but you need originals from which to make patterns. Mike's right about the Service Notes.

Edited by Winter

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that Mike and Winter

The reason for making my own dipstick tube is firstly because I bolted on the turbos, manifolds and turbo pipework and dont feel inclined to remove them in order to fix a dipstick tube. I cant justify spending £110 quid on something that will most likely rust through again in a few years time. Should have been made from stainless steel on a £60,000 car I reckon !!

I am aware of the measurement to position the inner (110mm) so that the correct oil level is obtained but due to corrosion of the tube and parts of this missing it would be quite straightforward to make up something from the length of aeroquip stainless I have kicking around. This would look neater and add a bit of interest along with the stainless turbo oil and coolant pipes. ( once I find out how to post a picture on here I will add a couple of images of the now black and red valve covers and plenum )

As fortune would have it the lower part of the tube and fitting complete with olive is still okay ( where this sits in the block) - nice oily environment but the dipstick tube rotted through or rather fell apart when attemting to remove the thing which was pretty much the same story for the turbo water and oil feed pipes etc etc

Looks like an easy task to weld/braze a aeroquip steel fitting to the tube and use a nice anodized fitting to attach the stainless.

About to bolt on alternator, air con unit and sort the dipstick and the engines ready to go back in.

Just spent a good half day degreasing the engine bay ( horrible job) and will probably remove the inner side panel to check on the fuel tanks whilst engine out.

Mike, I have a CD version of the workshop notes and have found this to be okay but a bit tiresome to find the right info ............. a bit like the Service Parts List Book which again deals with more than one Esprit Model

Anyway thanks for your input ............fill with oil and work out which length of tube I need

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you can make it all work, then why not?

You are probably already aware, but the dipstick nut is also very difficult to access with standard tools. Depending on what you are using to thread into the block, you will probably need a split-ring or adapted spanner to access the nut.

Looking forward to some images of your efforts.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mike

Managed to fabricate a dip stick tube from 3/8 OD aluminium tube which has saved some weight !!!

As you know, removal of the manifold and turbo is mandatory to enable the 103mm part to locate in the cylinder block. Have made up or at least,have nearly made up the dip stick itself from a length of flexi bicycle brake cable with outer coating and inner removed.

Nearly ready for engine installation but dont know whether to take a chance on inspection of the fuel tanks whilst the engine is out or just leave it. When engine was previouskly fitted there was a whiff of fuel in the cabin area which seemed to be coming from the seat belt/cill area. Car also had a blocked cat at that time so the fuel odour could have been a esult of incomplete combustion .......perhaps.

Could I suppose rig up a pressure tester fro the tanks but by the time this that and the other has been blocked off probably eaier to pull the tanks

Any advice would be useful

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good news that you are getting closer to the point of installation.

I would recommend checking/removing tanks while the engine is out. Given the work involved in finding a problem in the rear future, it would be crazy not too.

Cheers,

Mike S

Hi Mike

Think you are right here as usual. Fuel tanks look awkward to remove which is pretty much the case for most things on the Esprit but a real arse of a job with the engine back in the chassis.

Maybe I will get to drive this car next year !!

One of my customers once told me a quote he had heard at a trade show in Germany which went like this...........

"the euphoria felt with that bargain buy, quickly dissapears with the first problem"

The author was spot on with this one

Here we go again ..................more work

Cheers

Paul

• 10 years later...

Hi Paul,

Do you happen to know the wrench width of the sleeve with which the dipstick tube is attached in the block?                                                                                                                          I have to correct the depth of the tube..

Thanks.

Cheers, Ruud Hensbergen.

M16 - a thin wall crow foot will be your friend.

• 2 weeks later...