free hit
counters
New Elite Project - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
EliteMike

New Elite Project

Having bought a 504 auto without an engine, we picked it up on Friday Evening, Saturday afternoon decided to take out auto box, and pop in original project engine and manual box.

Auto box and associated gubbins out, remove engine and box from first car and put into new one, well that was all completed by Sunday afternoon,

Decided Monday morning, thank heavens for bank holidays, to remove auto pedal box ready to order one from Lotus bits, couldn't wait, god so impatient!!!, so also took manual pedal box out of first car, and refitted into new one, don't think my back will recover from the strange angles you have to get into to do this.

However, apart from having to order a power steering pump bracket for our engine on Tuesday and reconnect the main hoses once that fitted should be ready to go, already MOT'd so just insurance and bit of Tax and should be able to test drive her, may have to swap diffs from auto one to manual one to get right ratios, but that's for another day.

Couple pf pictures showing progress.

_DSC9622.jpg

Engine out of original

_DSC9626.jpg

Engine into new one

_DSC9629.jpg

all fitted

_DSC9632.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good work Mike ,

Thats another one kept on the road :thumbup:

Regards danny

A

Hi all

Engine wasnt actualy touching nose of car but was quite close I have to say. think picture angle also makes it look closer. "No Lotus nose's were harmed in the instalation of this engine", I am pleased to say.

After picture taken lifted engine on hoist, lengthened rear straps around gear box to drop that down at right angle and carefully slid it in.

This is as it was going in.

_DSC9630.jpg

Mike

The sliver one looks nice - I was tempted myself when it was on ebay.

Being a sad anorak, I am trying to work out what to replace my missing waistline trim with on my Elite. I noticed that the waistline trim on the sliver one looks quite original. Any change of a close up photo of it?

Cheers

Herc

Hi Mark

Here are the photos of both the 76 waist band rubber strip, and the 78 one, not sure if that is original or not

_DSC9659.jpg

_DSC9658.jpg

The strip on the white one with red lower half, is black rubber and think may be original, if you want it, I am removing this as prefer the car with out it, may regret it later, but if you want it you can have it for the postage cost.

Not sure about the silver one, whether it has been replaced at some time I dont know, maybe you have much better idea than me.

Regards

Mike

Mike

Many, many thanks for the photos. I have a Brown '79 Elite just the photo in the Graham Robson book p65. This seems to have a stripe like your silver one - metallic outside edges, rubber in the middle. Is that a solid metal carrier all the way round the car, with a rubber insert, or is some of it plastic chrome effect?

I suspect there were a number of different stripes - Eclat promo photos seem to have something more like your white one.

Cheers

Herc