free hit
counters
Problems with Cobra car alarm - 2001 Esprit V8 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Problems with Cobra car alarm - 2001 Esprit V8

Hi everyone,

Here is my problem. I have a 2001 V8 Esprit and the battery went dead. I charged up the battery and I noticed that the alarm LED was failing to blink or even light up for that matter. MY alarm is set to auto arm and the LED should be blinking. When I try to start the car the starter disable is engaged. I can hear the fuel pumps kick in but the engine does not crank. It appears as though the alarm has died. Is there any way to bypass it?

Please, I understand all about the alarm disarming wand and the key fob batteries going dead. When I plug in the disarming wand the car does nothing. When the alarm was working and I did this the car would respond like I had pressed the unlock button on the key fob. The alarm is acting like it is completely dead. I believe that there is a separate battery for the car alarm, is it possible this could have died? If so, how do I replace it?

Please help me get my car back on the road! I am running out of summer!

Spunbearing

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm ............

According to my Owners Handbook the alarm is a Cobra 6422 so might be worth sticking that in Google.

There is certainly a battery in the alarm key but no mention of one in the alarm itself.

Try arming the alarm whilst the rear hatch is open. This should sound a warning buzzer and the siren will sound if the hatch isn't closed fully within 40 seconds.

If the alarm part is working but the car refuses to start it might be a crank sensor. I had this problem. The alarm would disarm, the fuel pumps would charge up but the engine wouldn't start.

One of the crank sensors was not reporting to the ECU so the engine refused to start to avoid damage being caused. That said, the engine was turning over just not starting. I imagine if you have an immobiliser issue then its simply silence once the fuel pumps have finished priming.

Sorry I have no magical answer/cure

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I'd suggest disconnecting the battery again with the doors and front bonnet closed and unplug the rear tailgate sensor. Keep your keys out of the cabin - just in case! Leave for a few minutes, then reconnect.

If no joy from pressing the buttons on the fob, you'll have to re-sync the system. The manual suggests:

****************************************************************************************************

Firstly the 'Touch key':

Use the mechanical key to unlock the door and enter the vehicle, causing the alarm to be triggered.

With the ignition OFF, insert the touch key into the receptacle on the tunnel top switch panel. This will disarm the alarm and mobilise the engine. Note that if this operation is performed with the ignition O/V, the transmitter key codes will be wiped, and must be reprogrammed

(see below).

Passive immobilisation will still function after the appropriate delay (see above), requiring another insertion of the touch key, with ignition OFF, to overcome.

**************************************************************************************

//Then//

1 . With the alarm system disarmed and mobilised, switch on the ignition. Note that if the transmitter key codes have been wiped, the alarm must be disarmed using the touch key.

2. Insert a touch key into the receptacle on the tunnel top switch panel. The alarm tell tale will light steady.

3. Press, simultaneously, both buttons on the new transmitter key for about ten seconds, until the tell tale in the key stops flashing and goes out. When the buttons are released, the key tell tale will light steady.

4. Press either one of the transmitter key buttons; the transmitter key tell tale will blink, and the alarm tell tale on the fascia will go out for one second.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all other transmitter keys to be used, up to a maximum of four. When all keys have been programmed, switch off the ignition (the alarm tell tale will go out).

Note that this programming procedure erases all existing transmitter codes, so that all keys to be used must be reprogrammed at the same time.

There is a battery in the siren unit, it's so that when the thief disconnects the main battery the siren still sounds. If you've left the car for a while (sounds like it if your battery is dead) then this battery could have died too. It's also not uncommon for it to die and begin to corrode, taking some of the PCB of the alarm system with it. Take the siren out and open it up to check. You can buy a replacement siren from ebay/lotus/breakers, they're not expensive.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not without getting your wire cutters and soldering iron out. Have you tried any of the above? Especially disconnecting/reconnecting the car battery again. Are you 100% certain the car battery has accepted a charge after being allowed to die?

But is there any way to just bypass the system so I can start and drive my car?

Also you are unlikely to get a public response to this. Giving instructions on how to bypass the cars security system in a public forum isn't a good idea!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Ug....

Yes, I have disconnected and reconnected the battery and I have a good charged battery to start the car with. I have not removed the siren unit to see if the battery is leaking. I will do that this weekend. Thanks to Bibs for a helpful hint. Now I know why I could not find an external battery.

I may not get a public response to this but I would hope that someone could point me in the right direction. I am one of the only V8s in my club and the local dealer only knows about Elise and Exige which does not do me much good. I would hope that anyone reading this and knew how to help would at least PM me. Just because the question is public does not mean the answer has to be.

Honestly, after 9+ years of ownership, I am to the point with this car that I wish someone would steal it. I just need to get it running for them....... HA!

Leave the keys in the ignition, maybe a seasoned crook could get your alarm working for you? :lol:

The same alarm was used on the Elise/Exige, your dealer should have a clue but I'm 99% confident you'll find what I suggested. Also, ring 01953 608000 and ask for 'Technical', the guys at the factory may have some suggestions for you too.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

".. Just because the question is public does not mean the answer has to be. ..."

Even if we could PM you with advices on 'how to power up the ECM manually..' -we don't know you in person, so there is no verification that you're in fact an legal owner asking for help

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

And I have to say UG again. Are these cars really that hot of a commodity that we have to be worried about thieves? It is not like Ferrari 458 Italia, those cars are so hot they are burning up! (check the news if you don't get the joke!) I would hope that 2 intelligent people would be able to come up with a way to convey ownership of the car beyond a shadow of a doubt. Maybe I assume too much.

Am I missing something? Where is 'how to power up the ECM manually..' quoted from? Is it a hint of some sort?

I'd guess Chicago.

Evora NA

Andrew, I'm only asking as if, for instance, you were within a reasonable distance of me I'd pop round with a module to bypass the system to at least make the car mobile so you could drive it to a shop.

Failing that I could make suggestions of a local experienced alarm guy who'd spend about 30 minutes with a multimeter before making the correct cuts and joins. Then I'd recommend a new alarm/immob unit to replace the very old, clunky, basic and easily bypassed Cobra system.

(After that, I'd probably try to sell you one of the trickle chargers from the Forum Shop to stop this sillyness happening again)

Maybe there is someone in your area who'd be kind enough to do any or all of the above too.

most 'immobilisers' simply cut out the ECM power suplly and/or ignition/injector drivers (the related relay) ..so just take a look into the wiring plans . *Ignition power* relay and the related other ones ...think this should be easy to understand :rolleyes:

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 2 weeks later...

How are you getting on with this, have you followed any of the advice in this thread?

Evora NA

• 10 months later...

I am now in exactly the same position as the original poster Spunbearing in that my battery went dead so I used a booster battery to start the car. Off I went to pick up a friend and on to Donnington Lotus Festival but after calling at his house and turning the engine off the car wouldn't mobilise. Key fobs won't lock run lock the doos and the LED on the dash doesn't flash. Got 6v at the alarm siren battery after I removed it to check but still the car is disabled. There was no finish to this thread so has a cure been found or anyone got the knowledge.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Follow the instructions in Pilko's post...

Evora NA

Bibs,

Of course I did all that but the no joy and the difference is that the alarm LED doesn't flash (remains off) an the alarm doesn't sound. The car is immobilised but everything else is working except perhaps the central locking if this is supposed to work when you manually open the door with the key. It seems to be an alarm fault not a programming issue.

Trevor.

Spoke to a slightly dis-interested chap at Cobra this morning and I will see if I can find any inline fuses as a first port of call. Anyone know where these might be on a V8?

Trevor.