free hit
counters
Ohhhh... So how was my Lotus day, you ask?? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Ohhhh... So how was my Lotus day, you ask??

Soooooo.......

Since I was lazy on Saturday morning and missed out on gorgeous Crystal Cove I decided to go to EuroSunday this morning out in the valley (San Fernando Valley, north of LA). I have always heard good things, especially the last Sunday of the month, so I made the drive at around 7am. Heading out there from LA, I bumped into a BMW M Coupe (the hatchback) and a Murcialago on the freeway and paced with them on the way up ...

Once I get there, I park the car and start looking around. Lots of beautiful cars there. Just to name a few of the more rare ones: countach, muira, merc slr, noble, carrera gt, hemi cuda, etc. Lots of fun. I had a lot of people come up and ask me about the esprit. :P I was the only Lotus other than a few elises and exiges. Here are a couple pics...

2resizeDSC03282.jpg

resizeDSC03280.jpg

resizeDSC03285.jpg

resizeDSC03286.jpg

resizeDSC03287.jpg

resizeDSC03290.jpg

resizeDSC03292.jpg

resizeDSC03300.jpg

resizeDSC03302.jpg

resizeDSC03304.jpg

resizeDSC03308.jpg

21c728a0.jpg

resizeDSC03340.jpg

resizeDSC03346.jpg

So the Muira was a barn find from Oregon. Completely unrestored, even on the original tires. Talk about impressive. B) He had pics documenting everything...

So far, so good...

Had a lot of fun and stayed there until 11 or so. After seeing the Muira, I decide that I should head back. Just in the car, start it up, and pull forward. I notice that there is a slight backfire but keep driving to exit the lot. Once on the road, the car seems to start backfiring loudly and dies. I get it through the intersection and try to troubleshoot roadside as I have done so often before...

2resizeDSC03365.jpg

2resizeDSC03375.jpg

2resizeDSC03378.jpg

2resizeDSC03369.jpg

Ok so that was just an excuse to post more pics of my car. :angry:

Now back to the story....

So I pull out the tools and mess around a bit, checking what I can under the undesireable circumstances that I have found myself in. Unfortunately, after an good amount of time tinkering, I can not get my car to behave as desired. Still popping and not driving. :angry:

Without success, I decide that it is probably time to call a tow truck. Explain the situation, and ask for a flat bed that can tow an exotic. Now over the 2.5 hours im sitting there waiting for a tow truck, 3 flat beds and a regular tow truck pass me on the street and keep driving. :( I find out later that one of those guys was my driver but he changed his mind when he saw the car! :(:( But it all worked out. The guy who finally came was a really nice guy. Turns out hes quite the car enthusiast and he has an el camino that runs 9 sec quarter mile :blink: I drive teh esprit onto the bed and he secured it in place, using rags where anything touched the car. Great guy, was careful with my car like it was his own.

2resizeDSC03386.jpg

Soooo, Does any of the resident Esprit experts have any suggestions as to what the backfire problem is??? Im going to check the timing and replace plugs/wires and see but anyone have any ideas????? any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I think this means I wont be with the Esprit to the Lotus event on the 1st. However, if one of the SoCal guys plans to attend and would like a passenger, I have been know to be good company :P

Long day and it makes me want to take a nap...

Shah

2resizeDSC03389.jpg

Edited by JRTurbo909

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

holy sh!t! why do you have to create so many emotions in me in one thread :angry: drama queen! :angry:

Just think of it this way. Everyone else probably thought you were pushing the tow truck :P Good excuse for some pictures. At least you break down in style.

Seriously. That sucks :P I had a similar problem with my car when I first got it... lots of backfiring, died at idle... exactly how did your car die? I can offer up nothing more than having the fuel injection system cleaned out specifically the fuel control valve which solved my problem, but that's not really useful in your case at all is it? :blink: Did you ever get your rotor problem sorted? Think it's related to that?

As for the show... wow, something for everyone, especially me :( love the lambos. Looks like an early vette there, I have a soft spot for those. I might have to swing by there some time.

Seriously. In the meantime, if you need someone to stare at your car looking clueless or turn a wrench a bit, feel free to call me up anytime :(

Good luck with her whatever the case. Here's to getting back on the road in no time :(

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Shah, great pictures! :angry:

Looks like you saw some absolutely terrific cars. :P

Re. the Miura Pm. me with any info you have on the owner or how I can contact him. Did you photograph the engine/ chassis /interior of that car? :angry:

As for your Esprit, I recon your fuel pump has called it quits. :P

P.S. Your car looked extra sharp (even broke down) :blink:

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Wayne's suggestion of faulty fuel pump sounds sound. Can you hear it clicking when you turn on the ignition? Blocked fuel filter or faulty fuel shut-off solenoid are other possibilities.

What style, taking photos of your car as it's broken down at the side of the road.

Nice pictures. Loved the Miura but particularly like the dark, wedge-shaped car in the background.

Where is this meet? Never heard of it before.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks for the kind words guys...

slade, as for the emotions, I just wanted you guys to get an idea how my day went. Good :angry: (seeing the Miura) to bad :angry: . I havent gotten the rotor situation figured out but I changed that at the first sign of trouble. So i dont think it has to do with that. I will take you up on your offer for the wrenching definately. Unfortunately grad school may pick up a tad in the next couple weeks so we will see...

I will look into the fuel system. I know the pump still works from the ticking, so it cant be that. I guess im just gonna have to clean out the system and see if that doesnt fix the problem. I think im gonna use this excuse to get some other things done but im not gonna let this turn into a case of the "might as well"s. I dont think that I could go that long without driving her. I check the filter and the fuel solenoid first....

Wayne, sent you a PM regarding the Miura. Got plenty more pics, had to pick and choose which to post...

Thats the same with my car, if you guys wanna see more broken down esprit pics, I got plenty :blink:

Trevor, the meet is at Village Coffee Roasters in Calabasas. The VCR Website...

It happens every Sunday but the last one of every month is the biggest. We should all head out once everyone's car is in working order. There are some great driving roads in the hills up there. Would make for a great day! Hopefully that time we have better luck than I have had....

Shah

2resizeDSC03367.jpg

2resizeDSC03335.jpg

Edited by JRTurbo909

Great pics Shah and hope you get her all sorted soon! I'd check the fuel filter & pump.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Same with me Shah. I can't walk by my car without getting inspired with how it looks and wanting to take pictures :angry:

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

hey great pics and i hope you get your car sorted soon, what a day for you highs and mega lows..

all the best

Howard

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Shah,

Sorry to hear about your issues, but your S2 still looks great even on the flatbed. And the engine is so clean....

Can't wait to get my G-Car....

Edited by Joey

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

Shah, I take it as your pump is "Ticking" you dont have a High Pressure inline pump(Bosch or Lucas) :blink:

What is it (S.U, Bendix, Facet or?)?

Noticed you had installed an MSD unit.

Are you sure that isnt playing up? :angry:

That could be why your rotor arms arent lasting 5mins. :angry:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Thanks for the compliments...

The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner. I am unsure as to the brand, but I have the receipt at home and can check...

The MSD unit was suspected to be the culprit behind the rotor problem. Been debating bout going the distributorless route and ditching all that stuff anyways. Has anyone on here performed that modification on their car yet? I guess we will see what happens. Hopefully this issue is as easy as a clogged fuel filter...

Shah

Wicked pics (leaning back towards Southern california again) :angry:

Where exactly is that ? Looks familiar....

Some fantastic cars there (noted the E-type, looks like a series 1 from the back...must have been pretty rare at the time).

Your S2 looks amazing btw, great job - shame to see her on the low loader, hope you get it sorted soon.

Still think there should be some sort of tax on you lot posting all these glorious sunny pictures whilst we like in sub zero, water logged, hurricane season atm.

Wonder if we get a summer this year ?

facebook = [email protected]

Shah,

No expert but a back firing is more likely an electrical problem rather than fuel. The backfiring is mistimed detonation resulting in unburnt fuel being exhausted and igniting from the exhaust temp isn't it? I'd check the electics first and definately go electronic ignition, makes a big difference to the running!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Yeah the electrical was my first thought due to the backfiring. I figure now though, might as well sort the plug wires, spark plugs, and that stuff while checking the fuel issues. I will let you guys know what i find out...

so the meet is in the Westhills/Calabasas area north of LA. That E type was absolutely gorgeous. Concours condition. I bet it didnt look that fresh even when it left the factory in 65. The guy who owned it had a turbo esprit g-car for a while. He loved it but ended up getting rid of it in the mid nineties. He was a really nice guy. Has an 2005 Elise as well...

as for the tax on the pictures.. haha i just thought that i should remind you guys about the beautiful scenery in this area every chance i get :lol: Its funny to because whenever it gets cloudy, everyone out here starts complaining like the california snobs we are :lol: Just wait until i start posting the pics of the other forms of beautiful scenery (the women) out here... :lol:

Shah

Ahhhh yes - I spent time in Canoga Park and out that way - looked familiar.

I have decided on a suitable tax, and that is to have at least 1 stunner in each photo frame - 2 if you show your Lotus in such horribly nice conditions :lol:

All those in favour....

:lol: hahahah good deal. So Canoga Park? My company used to have a office out there so I have spent some time there as well...

I found two other links if you guys want to browse through some more photos...

frank4cars

ExoticCarSite

Unfortunately niether had enough love for Lotus to photograph my S2, but enjoy! :lol:

Shah

Edited by JRTurbo909

I didnt know you can buy Nobles in the US.  I thought you can only buy the shell of the Noble. and not the complete car.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to buy the car without the engine and have everything installed over here. Noble recommends one individual to build them since he has done it numerous times. Then you register it as a kit car. I think all said and done it will cost you a hair under $100k USD. There were two of them at the meet Sunday...

Shah

Not too sure on the prices Toua...

So Wayne, I asked around a bit on the Miura. No new information. A few of the guys i thought would know left before it came and have not seen it before....

I will keep looking for info...

Shah

it'll turn up in some magazine soon most likely

slade

69 :lol: that's when they have the stingray badge on the side.

aside from a ZR1, a big block 70 (coupe) would be my dream vette.

slade

Edited by slade

DING - correct :lol:

Actually I just looked at my Vette book and checked...hehe.

I can >||< this close to getting a vette just before I bought my 1st Esprit - guy 4 miles down the road runs Clairemont Corvette, by the name of Tom Falconer who is extremely well regarded in the vette scene.

Loved that car as long as I have loved the Esprit, would have one now but I only have time for one car in my life really and that's the Esprit. Guy wanted

post-9-1143493555.jpg