free hit
counters
Ohhhh... So how was my Lotus day, you ask?? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ohhhh... So how was my Lotus day, you ask??

My dad has four: 57 and 59 with dual quads/283, 01 coupe (automatic) and an 04 Z06.

I'm visitting in a couple days, so I'll take/post pics for yall :lol:

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know i have been toying with the idea to get an old stingray as a daily driver. My commute isnt too long and i love the lines on those old vettes. Parts would be cheap too. It would be fun to have a torque monster to balance out the esprit...

i guess we will see if I can find one for a good price...

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

One thing to note....

This Lambo below just finished a twin turbo conversion this past week. I believe he was breaking it in. He showed up to Crystal Cove on saturday as well...

MAB_108.jpgMAB_078.jpg

Impressive...

Shah

Edited by JRTurbo909

I's sure I saw a Starsky and Hutch car in there somewhere as well. Great pics. Have to ask tho, how come you were on the side of the road for 2 1/2 hours and never got mugged :lol:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

My dad has four: 57 and 59 with dual quads/283, 01 coupe (automatic) and an 04 Z06.

I'm visitting in a couple days, so I'll take/post pics for yall :lol:

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell your old man that limey sonofabitch Wayne sat in the Mako Shark II Corvette when G.M. bought it up to Canada 6 years ago :lol:

It still looked fantastic(save for some cracking in the 40 year old lacquer paint) B)

65ChevroletMakoSharkIIfsV.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

I's sure I saw a Starsky and Hutch car in there somewhere as well. Great pics. Have to ask tho, how come you were on the side of the road for 2 1/2 hours and never got mugged :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha. felt safe with all the nicer cars to mug down the street...

Shah

I remind you i was going to buy a Vette before I find my Esprit

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same Jussi - I had enough for a late (cheaper vette) but kept waiting for the one I wanted....in about 10 months I had almost doubled my savings and realised I had enough for my ultimate dream car :lol: If it weren't for the Vette I doubt I wouldn't have accumulated so much to get the car I always dreamed about but never thought I'd be able to afford.

facebook = [email protected]

My friend talk sense to my head :lol:

He said: You can see Vettes everyday (even in here in summer) but when you have seen Lotus last?

So I was quite convinced, however he's the guy who fixes my cars :lol:

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Tell your old man that limey sonofabitch Wayne sat in the Mako Shark II Corvette when G.M. bought it up to Canada 6 years ago :D

It still looked fantastic(save for some cracking in the 40 year old lacquer paint) B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Wayne, but my dad's interest span in cars ends after 1965 (when the Mako II was made as I recall... but my dad will still look at it and see a 68 Vette and be turned off by its newness :D

CIMG0335.jpg

CIMG0327.jpg

CIMG0315.jpg

CIMG0316.jpg

CIMG0333.jpg

The only car my dad has ever really been interested in is the 59 Vette, and in 1995 we pulled a hulk out of a eucalyptus patch and rebuilt his dream car in about a year.

CIMG0332.jpg

CIMG0314.jpg

The 57 came about only as a father son bonding thing... which worked well to a point, til I went off to college and he lost initiative in ever getting it painted :lol: So it sits in my parent's garage, still being the best running car we own, but still just a body on a running gear with the exterior trim and interior in its entirey stored in our dining room :) (my mom's thrilled... we made up for it by putting a powerglide automatic in it so she could drive it). If it was painted it would take maybe a day or two to get it in running condition. it'll be seafoam green with the white cove

CIMG0317.jpg

I rebuilt the engine in that car (second engine I ever built), and did most of the bodywork (I like working on fiberglass but not metal... still needs a lot of bodywork that's beyond my scope).

My dad confirmed to me that he doesn't care about new cars, and only bought the new Vettes because he wanted a daily driver with the corvette nameplate :lol:. He confided in me that he didn't care how crappy it was, if it had a lawnmower engine and sh!t styling, as long as it had a corvette nameplate on it he was willing to drive it.

CIMG0337.jpg

CIMG0322.jpg

Thus came about the 01. Which he later grew to intensely dislike because he ordered it with an automatic (so my mom could drive it) and then some moron in a civic sideswiped my mom on a grocery trip and totalled the car after she spun out and slammed into a tree... bent frame, every body panel needed to be repaired but our insurance company cheated us and wouldn't let him just get a new car. Once it was all screwed together again it never was right, and still isn't.

So he passed down the 01 to my mom as her main driver now, and bought an 04 Z06. Thankfully despite my dad's eagerness to drive a crap car, the Z06s weren't crap and he learned to love his Z06 only after he bought it. (Sorry, he's driving it right now so no pics. It's red.)

He offered to flat out give me the 01 if I joined the Air Force as he did, but instead I went to UCR and bought the Esprit :P

My dad is very odd about car maintenance though. He doesn't even believe in oil changes for the older cars... til finally recently I made him change it. His excuse is he barely drives em 1k a year and is too busy, plus topping em off every few months is enough... forget the filter I guess :P

I'll leave you with some interior shots of that car... love the dashboard

CIMG0338.jpg

CIMG0339.jpg

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Nice photos Slade, thanks' for sharing  :(

I'm not a huge fan of 60's Corvettes but that one looks very nice  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks nice to you because it's a 59 rather than anything made in the 60s :P Chevy carried on with that style til 62, after making it slightly uglier in 61. The Sting Ray that everyone associates with the 60s began in 63. (and the Stingray began in 69, after one year of not calling it that in 68) :(

As a bonus, here's pics of the afforementioned dining room :( yeah, there's basically an entire car in it.

CIMG0351.jpg

looks ok from here...

CIMG0350.jpg

but not from here.

CIMG0352.jpg

slade

I'll leave you with some interior shots of that car... love the dashboard

CIMG0338.jpg

CIMG0339.jpg

slade

Looks like someone bled to death in that car....sorry, I no likeee.

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Looks like someone bled to death in that car....sorry, I no likeee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey. If somethings worth doing, it's worth overdoing! :(

My dad special ordered the interior on his C5 to be just as red. It's better than the dull black plastic I say.

They won't let you have anything but black on the Z06 though :P

slade

Hey. If somethings worth doing, it's worth overdoing! :(

My dad special ordered the interior on his C5 to be just as red. It's better than the dull black plastic I say.

They won't let you have anything but black on the Z06 though  :P

slade

Sorry to say that a C5 over here was either a Sinclair Electric vehicle or a new Citroen (piece of French poo).

Always forget the language difference :P

Anyways. I'll give you that the interior wouldn't be so red if my period weren't so heavy :(

slade

Always forget the language difference :P

Anyways. I'll give you that the interior wouldn't be so red if my period weren't so heavy :(

slade

My Mrs has a period for 4.2 weeks of the month. The 0.1 I get lucky.... :(

I like the red :( The interiors on the Esprit and the Buick are red :P

I remember the first 1959 Corvette I saw.

We were on a touring holiday of Europe in 1967 and we were making our way through Belgium.

It was parked at the Ferry terminal, and I can honestly say i had never seen anything like it! It made quite an impression on an 8 yr. old!

I have never owned a vette, but have admired, worked on and driven a few. :(

One highlight was doing 145mph on the M6 in an 1970 427 Singray Coupe with a tripower setup :(

My friend Mickey also had the fastest accellerating roadcar I had ever been in (up to 4 years ago). It was a 1969 Stingray roadster with an LS6 aluminum headed Rat with 12:1 compression. It would regulary eat sparkplugs and would blow the baffles out of its turbo mufflers.

Always wanted to meet Bill Mitchel , but no chance now as he has passed away. :(

BillMitchell.gif

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

The Checker was Bill Mitchell's last work as I recall :(

the 59 is an insane car to drive... the anti-lotus. Steering wheel in your lap inches from your nose, pedals miles away. Heavy gearchange (muncie) especially before the transmission warms up... Loads of torque from the dual quads, lots of play in the steering, very light rear end :P

My dad's only let me drive it a few times.

He lets me drive the Z06 whenever he's not using it... fastest thing I've ever driven. Amazing, impossble not to respect it. They even sorted the handlng on the Z06 (normal Vettes still feel like boats) Hasn't destroyed any plugs or baffles yet :(

slade

Edited by slade

nope. but it looks about the same anyway, all my dad's Corvettes are red currently, excepting the one in bare glass :P Z06s have a mesh "grille" and brake cooling ducts in front of the rear wheels, as well as no hatch.

Wayne, I always thought the Shark I and II were both the same car... didn't know they made two of at least one of them. Or time travel was involved in that picture... :(

slade

Edited by slade