free hit
counters
Front tire sizing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
M3S2k

Front tire sizing

Been shopping around for a new set of tires but having a heck of a time finding a matching set in a brand that I'm willing to run. Wondering if anyone has gone with other sizes in the front? Or does everyone stay with the 235/40 17's? Anyone running 245/40's? Been looking at some of the Yokohama Advan sports.

Edited by M3S2k

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

you invest in tires, on the same trime as your car is listed as: 'for sale' ?!

..anyway, step away from 225/35 on 17 inch for the front (this was [is] on the S350 fronts I've got from Bibs [MikeRing]) ..the front is far to deep on the ground, even with an ordinary (not lowered) factory suspension. And the riding seems to be really stiff (as for the 35% hight of 225mm ).

The rims are also to wide for those smaller tires, so the danger of curbing is always present. If you don't use track-distance extensions (wheel-spacers/adapter) you can use 245mm or wider on the front -maybe without bumper-edge contact on cornering . The thing is with this all: speedo accuracy and the limitations in the wheelhousing comes in mind -especially if you look how your wheels are positioned in the rear end. The rear wheels seem to be not accurate in the middle-axis of the wheelhousing on mine (both sides..) -not sure if this is only on mine (and therefore comes from the old trailing arm bushings in the front of the arms ?) ..it looks as if you would youse an 265mm-295mm wheel with non factory 45% or 55% hight the wheels could rub against the front edge of the wheelhousing :unsure:

Yes of course. I look to keep my car in top condition until the day I sell it.

No no, I was never looking at 225/35's. I currently have 235/40's on the front of my car, but the Yokohama Advan Sports I'm looking at only come in 245/40 17's. Just wanted to make sure I would be safe with these. I'll still be running the 285/35 18's in the rear.

with 40% of 245mm you could calculate the bigger diameter with an calculator to know the diameter exactly [should not be much more], and as for the fact that nearly every tire does have an slightly curved edge on the top -think it will not be importend. Lift up your car on one side in the front, and also on the square position on the rear end -this will cause an full 'on blok' situation on the dampers. Turn in the steering, until your front wheel is pointing just to the edge of the front bumper. Now add the increased size of the tire -does it look safe ?