free hit
counters
Just bought an S4S - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Just bought an S4S

Guest Mutley00

Guest Mutley00

Hi all,

I've just taken the plunge with an S4S http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEWAX:IT. I was the previous lucky owner of Robert Crooks immaculate white SE (must change my Avtar), but shoulder damage and a narrow tricky drive and road meant manoevering it with no PAS was agony so unfortunately it had to go, but the Esprit desire didn't. I went to look at the Essex one thats for sale on eBay, as I've had a 30 year desire to own one, but felt it was overpriced with too much cosmetics required for the then asking price of £16k. Bought my S4S from a decent chap in Stoke who is emigrating who'd done most of the maintenance himself but had neglected it recently with his immigration pending.

It was a Cat D in the early noughties so no log book or manual and precious few bills to speak of. There are things to do (noticably the steering wheel!) and I'm still not sure on the recovered sports seats and some prat has spoiled the rear lines by installing (now broken) parking sensors. The HPI check gave me a shock when it revealed a speedo change at 22k miles so the car has done 78k not 56k miles but it seems to run fine. Its booked in for a C Service and brake overhaul next week then fingers crossed its off up the road to the Peak District on a few quiet nights.

Is there any fellow S4S owners out there who wouldn't mind me asking a few questions of them - for starters how the hell do you get to the back of the front indicator/sidelight lenses and what's the 'snow' button for in the centre console?

Looking forward to future chats, regards, Andrew

Edited by Mutley00

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andrew,

Congrats on the car! I am not going to start up the which is the best Esprit model again, but you must be a person of great taste to have chosen a Norfolk Mustard S4s :thumbsup:

From the photos it does look as if its had an interesting life, some of the "improvements" can be pretty easily put back to standard. Steering wheels, seats etc do come up for sale now and again. Perhaps in the short term you could use some touch up paint on the parking sensors? Probably needs a new bumper skin in the long term.

As for your questions - from memory I have changed bulbs in the front indicators, there are two screws to take the front off. Suspect there are more screws to remove them once the covers are off?

Snow button? There is an ice warning light on the dash, but no snow button on mine. Perhaps it deploys skis out of the sills ala the Aston in The Living Daylights? Perhaps post a photo - it might not be a standard fit.

Alan

The "snow" button is in the centre console cubby hole. It resets the electric windows if there is an obstruction to the windows closing ( like someones head :D ) and they shut off. Its a safety device and the button is to reset the system.

The car looks well, some decent pictures would be good though Andrew. Personally, the seats look awfull as does that steering wheel! The rest looks in fine fettle. Watch out for those Futuras. They need looking after dude.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I went up and looked at that one .I thought too much needed doing to it.You must change the cam belt soon as it has not been done for seven years.I hope the price you got it for reflects this..

I think the S4s is the best sport 300 looks without the price.Cheers Paul

Edited by espritmania

Cat D in the 90s would only worry some people, if it's been sorted well after that (and I assume that's the case as it's been on the road for 10-20 years since then) you should have no issues.

So not only did you get PAS, but a few extra horses as well (nearly 40), what hardship! Hope it gives you the facility to enjoy it.

Guest Mutley00

Thanks for your honesty chaps - much appreciated. I've ordered a full Service Kit from SJ and disks & pads from PNM so just waiting for my mechanic to return from holidays. The steering wheel was the first thing to go. I managed to get a really nice new leather Nardi with a flat bottom off eBay for £50. You think the original looked bad - you should try driving 50 miles with a lump of shiny plastic in your hands! Believe it or not the seats do grow on you a bit - they are the original sports option just recovered. Paul if your trained eye noticed anything else amiss please let me know. Where does your oil pressure guage sit on tickover at operating temp?

I was looking forward to the parts fair but I'm Fell Racing that day. Would it be in order for me to ask any of you if you spot any raven seats with yellow piping to give me a call?

Regards, Andrew

Both the oil pressure sender and gauge are of questionable accuracy. If the oil warning light does not go out as soon as the engine starts thats the time to worry (or if it flickers at idle).

Your mechanic should be able to remove the oil pressure sensor and measure manually on a dial gauge if you have any worries. Unless the oil is correct type then pressure will be wrong as well.

Alan

My oil pressure gauge is always showing very low, but so was the gauge of an other S4s I tested prior to buying the red one. Cold engine, the gauge goes just slighlty over the 1st mark, warm engine, the gauge sits just above the red mark, sometimes just in it. I understand this is a common/"normal" thing.

You may find that the water temp gauge is giving incorrect readings as well and it's apparently a common fault due to defective gauge sender/sensor (different from water temp ECU sensor). A new gauge sensor fixes this, I'm yet to fit the new unit I bought off SJ.

The "snow" button is not exactly a reset button: it's an override button meant to avoid windows refusing to move up because of frost. If, for any reason, a window does not move up (obstructed window, frosty window or simply stuck window), you can force the window to move up by pressing the snow button whilst pressing the EW switch. My passenger window gets stuck whilst fully opened 90% of the time and I either have to use the "snow" button or press the EW switch a few times before the one-touch facility will work again. The window has a slight forward move towards the end when being opened and it simply gets stuck when trying to move it up again. Annoying grimlin but I can live with it....

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on your purchase. I've tried to send you a PM but your settings are set to not accept them or you inbox is full. PM me or send me an email [email protected]

I've got an S4s in Norfolk Mustard too and it is a wonderful car. So congrats on your new machine!

Edited by IanQ

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

• 2 weeks later...