free hit
counters
SAVE THE ESPRIT VARI MOULDS - HELP REQUIRED! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

SAVE THE ESPRIT VARI MOULDS - HELP REQUIRED!

I'm in need of a kind benefactor with lots of space.

Lotus have the VARI moulds and bonding/fettling jigs for the Esprit and they're headed for a skip as they've sat in storage for some years now.

Fibre_Glass_In_Mold.jpg

They've been offered to me however I need somewhere to keep them, TLF HQ isn't an option and I don't want to get into long term storage costs.

Rather than see them destroyed we if we can find somewhere for them then they'll be available ongoing. It's unlikely we'll be able to use them as VARI units however they'd be usable for handlay moulds and their existence would offer some sort of path for future parts/panels rather than not.

We'll also need help moving/transporting them.

Anyone? :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I volunteer to drive the van down to Mike's place, as I missed out on popping in earlier on this year.

Me !... I have storage space ;-))

I volunteer to drive the van down to Mike's place, as I missed out on popping in earlier on this year.

:D Legends :D

I once had the original aluminium handbeaten moulds from the GT40...Mk IV iirc, it was a looong time ago. I thought they were safe in a friends garden, but the space was wanted for a garden pond and......without any reference back to me.....they went down the tip; a fate from which I had saved them in the first place!! Let's not have a similar tragedy with these moulds....a major part of Esprit history.... is it just the X180 moulds or all of them?

Know a space where other (KIT-car) molds are stored too..

And as far as I see it, *streetz* already asket something about those Esprit molds lately ?!

:detective:

I do have the storage space. Long term and the costs are not a problem . Its my facility.

But i'm located in austria. I guess thats a little bit far away to be a help ...

Haha, dragi it would be even nicer to have the moulds closer to Berlin! ;) and Günter is right, i was asking for the moulds Dur to thoughts about Building an Esprit made of carbon... I would help using the moulds from time to time =)

But i Could also help moving them, if i have time.

Andyclements has a huge barn full of broken down cars :rolleyes: and it's only a couple of miles from the factory. So if you don't want to drive down to France I would suggest asking him :yes:

I guess the question of in- or outdoors depends on storing or using it. Also keeping nature in mind, I wouldn´t want the moulds to molder ;) In case, the moulds are somewhere inside, I would think about using them to build a carbon-Esprit myself!(If the place is not too far away)

Edited by streetz

WOW missed this thread.

I know you we talking about it last time we chatted but didn't realise it was happening!

Its an awesome opportunity and its fabulous that there are volanteers to store it. If I had indoor space I'd offer. Wouldnt want them stored outside I don't think that'd do them any good at all......

We're still struggling with transportation and time is getting tight. I'm guessing getting them to France is going to cost around £1k for truck/crossing/fuel etc. Any ideas?

7.5 tonne curtain side 3 day hire for £438.75 Would that be big enough? Ferry fuel... etc..... I guess £1k is about right, maybe a little more?

Is it just the X180 moulds or is it the later V8 type too? Is there a difference? is it top and bottom?

Don't we have a HGV driver on here who volanteered for something before? Was it Kimberlillyloo or am I dreaming?

I'm not able to assist in the physical logistics of this till late November unless my schedule changes which could push this date later than that. If it can wait that long then I'm all hands on to help.

I may be able to offer Temp dry storage in South Wales if that helps at all while the bigger picture is organised? and if it will all fit into a double garage which I doubt.

From experience, driving this neck of woods is approx £180 return in Diesel from yours. Obviously extra to get to Norfolk and back. Tolls about €40 return, if you avoid Paris and come via Rouen. If you try to stay close to Paris tolls go to €65. Route through Paris looks shorter, but more hassle/stress. My route through Rouen is only 20 mins longer calculating by Satnav, and in practise works out quicker when you factor in Paris traffic, however..........

Those toll fees are for a car. I've done the journey in a van and its been the same, but on one trip, the toll booth spat out a ticket from the high level dispenser (for lorries) and that incurred a higher charge at the next Peage booth. I'm not definite on this but I think some of the booths have a height measuring system which in a large van may kick you onto a different tariff.

You already know I think, not to fuel on the autoroutes. If you are def coming over I'll forward you details of a "half way" petrol station I use that'll give you non autoroute prices, but not too far off the beaten track.

I can't help but feel that yet again you're exploring the depths of your own pockets for the greater benefit of the community.

If you commit to doing it I'm publicly committing, here, that there'll be £50 from me towards it. A small drop in the ocean, but hopefully it might tip anybody else reading this to consider helping out the same way.

As far as manpower goes, I'm in the UK last week of Oct catching up on docs, dentists, taxman etc. Planned to fly back Fri 29th. If you make the journey around then I'll happily bob over, lend a hand, and drive down with you?