free hit
counters
Pilot Escapes Glider Crash - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Pilot Escapes Glider Crash

bingoking

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a video of the events...

I think it was going to be a crash from the point he cast off the tow...

A fairly severe back injury..hope he makes a full recovery. I remember the late Neil Williams crashing a Stampe at Biggin Hill Air Fair..he ended up still strapped in and sitting in the seat...but the airframe had gone (!) ..very much like the second photo.

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

:huh: I visited a glider school at the weekend, kinda hoping to take it up again! :(

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs, any hints as to why he would have abandoned the tow so early on?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I am sure there are pilots on here. I have done similar to this, albeit in a hang glider, but nearly the same result. I have seen the clip of this on youtube and it describes the pilot as a very experienced person. If I turned that steeply to a base leg run after flying downwind and with low altitude, my instructor would have shot me. Since it looked like a fairly quick sort of effort to get to the ground and the early release on the tow, I'm with John, you'd have to assume that something went wrong in the aircraft or with the pilot and he had to get back quick.

Hope he recovers ok.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

It seems that they were doing a towed display at the airshow..before the video I posted, the glider had done several rolls whilst under tow. After this, the towline had gone slack and the received opinion is that the glider pilot realised that the transient force on his glider as the towline went tight again would be too much for the towline attachment...so he released at that point. It was apparently a very blustery day with much turbulence, as can be seen from the glider control surfaces moving about with the pilot's necessary control inputs....but the final turn ended up too tight and it looks like a classic tight turn/low airspeed/fall into the ground thing. Exactly the same sort of thing that did for my friend and the Jet Provost by the River Severn some years ago.

The hang glider golden rule is Never Turn Towards the Hill.... The only undercarriage you have is, er, YOURS!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein