free hit
counters
Elite Concept Car - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cazna52

Elite Concept Car

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Love it! :thumbsup:

Better looking than the Evora, doesn't look like a big Elise. Has some Ferrari resemblance, but what car nowadays doesn't look like another, especially current design trends, but I still love it. If this is the new bench mark then the Esprit will hopefully be fantastic.

Owen

I actually like the design.

But my first thought was :

FERRATTI... then I thought no, MERRARI.....

There is something to be said about similarities, Mr CEO. :detective:

I hate myself for being so pinchy...

Ups , sorry meant MASERARI......

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

http://sniffpetrol.com/

:rofl:

Lotus today announced a concept called the Elite, ahead of the car’s official unveiling at the Paris Motor Show.

‘That’s right groovers,’ said a Lotus spokesman in a cheesecloth shirt. ‘Our boys have cranked up the Slade, wolfed down a fondue and got cracking on this exciting new 2+2. Trust me, this baby is going to be more popular than the Morecambe & Wise Christmas special!’

Hethel sources say the Elite will be joined by concept cars dubbed Esprit and Eclat and that the trio are tipped to enter production ‘by the start of 1975’.

‘We’re going to take Lotus upmarket for the first time,’ said another Lotus spokesman in a suit with extremely wide lapels. ‘I mean, what could possibly go wrong? It’s not like we’re going to do anything crazy like try to compete with Porsche and Ferrari but find our quality standards are woefully short, causing our business to repeatedly fail, struggling on through successive owners, eventually coming up with a front-wheel drive roadster which we then kill off after less than three years before ultimately deciding that the past 20 years have been a complete waste of time and getting back to doing lightweight sports cars which is what we should have stuck with all along. I mean, that would be silly.’

A source later attributed any fucking stupid ideas about moving Lotus Cars upmarket to the Engineering division’s recent experiments with a prototype time machine. ‘Don’t worry,’ he said, ‘It’s based on the Elise chassis.’

Regardless - the sniffpetrol boys often hit the nail right on the head...very quick

facebook = [email protected]

Unlike you! :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Absolutely spot on for the US market, love the shape, performance and 4 seats - it's a winner.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

is the suspension design an derivative out of the work for the actual Skyline ?

is the chassis-concept based on the Lexus/Toyota Drivetrain (as in rumors out of all those postss..) -so is it just an reshaped Lexus GT (+2 seater type)

thoughts thoughts ..so many thoughts :detective:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

would be interesting to know what this 'all around' glass-roof concept does wheight, in comparision with sheet GRP or Aluminium ?!

..other thought: the slightly to long VW/Bosch single blade flexible wiper could benefit from an covered rest position behind the 'shield' in front of the windscreen ..the way it is in the *embargoed pictures* spoils the cleaned lines.. (again , just a thought..)

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Well I like it.

Couple of quickies though, DB9 does not have anymore space in the back than an Evora or a 911.

I would have thought that the Evora will fit in quite well now as an entry model at its price and engine spec.

Will be surprised if the esprit doesn't look similar to the R8/MPC-12C/458 as they all take design cues from each other and always have (countach/merac/308 etc etc)

I think this is a good thing, look at older ferraris, they generally plateux at around 15K value wise which bodes well for our cars futures I would hope.

Even the likes of Morgan have had to move on with the way they're cars look to appeal to wider markets. I'm afraid to say that the future is coming and short of a blue box or a wooden box there is no way of avoiding it. Better to embrace with both arms and get on with it.

Thing is that whinging uses up valuable breathes that we may well need at the end of our lives!!!!!!

The more I look at the thing the more I like it! I'm still not sold on some details but it is not an ugly car at all! I think the design will grow on people! It's a very consensual design in fact and as we all know the finished product will be a bit different!

I was just thinking at the price tag and realised something! The most expensive and powerful Lotus will be cheaper than the cheapest Ferrari! While having a more reliable powertrain! There's nothing wrong with that! With the weight being 'real' but I'd say contained around 1680 kg, versus 1735 for the California, 1702 kg for the SLS, 1735kg for the DB9 and probably the same for the Scaglieti replacement, it will be marginally lighter than the competition!

However Jaguar XKR, future BMW M6, Audi RS5 and Mercedes SL AMG will also be competitors for the Elite and they will probably represent the toughest competition at the bottom of the range!

So it seems they have done their market research correctly:

- Reliable engine = check (it's a Toyota blown but still a toyota)

- Contained weight = check (5.0 V8 GT 2+2 are generally heavier than this)

- Green tech =check (215g of CO2 in this category is just unheard of)

- Precise steering = check ( it's still a Lotus)

- Design = check (it will be popular in North America, the Middle East and Asia!!!)

- Built quality = the jury is out on this one (Don't screw this one, it's time to really use Lotus Engineering to get the interior quality that's needed)

- Pricing = check (at 115,000 pounds or 185,000 usd it will be competitive in the category not that I'll be able to buy one)

Now the question is : How many do they want to sell 1000-2000 on a yearly basis ? Considering the tooling cost it may prove a 'long shot'! Other question raised: will the Lotus Esprit also be made of aluminium and not composite?

This car will come in S (standard) and R! Lotus needs to clarify their range calls S, R, SC...

They certainly do, they're model designation is ass about face presently.

Click to Vote - 2014 Lotus Elite - Hit/Miss/Maybe.

Evora NA

Please don't take what I'm saying as Evora knocking. I think it's a great car. I do think though that longer term the realignment of the Lotus model range is a def shift from the prev regime, and for me its marginalising the Evora from a marketing perspective and going to drop its sales, much like the new Europa is a very fine car (I've driven one), but doesn't sell because it has no market it wins in. (Just my opinion!!)

This Elite is almost totally unappealing to me, but it's class, type, and market always will be (whenever i need a four seater i buy a cheap as chips used car then sell it or bin it when i'm done, i can't spend real money on a bus!).

I actually feel fortunate.

:)

By this i mean the last car Lotus have made that i'd want to own is the Mk2 Exige. As i would not want even as a future used option (regardless of how good they are if you like that kind of thing) a Europa, Evora, 2Eleven, and this Elite (if they made it).

This means that until they bring out the new Esprit, everything i want to own by Lotus is within grasp and realistic.

:thumbsup:

...err, apart from an Essex Turbo, as their value, apparently, does not stay still long enough for you to ever know or agree what it is.

I hate to say this BUT.... if the Evora had been a proper 2+2 I'd be driving one by now. Don't get me wrong... I love the Evora BUT it's never going to be a half decent car for a family and without that it's a £60k Elise! I hope the Elite does the business although by the time it arrives, even if I can afford one my family with probably have flown the nest...

Meanwhile where does this leave the Evora? The new Europa??

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

The Evora is in the 60,000 price range while the Elite will be in the 120,000 price range!

Two different kinds of clientele I believe! Evora is selling rather well I heard and with new versions it will keep on selling! It will not be the entry model in the range but will be for people who know their cars and want something different. The Elite will open new market for lotus, it will be the absolute halo car! Other than the Esprit S or R it will be the most expensive car in the range!

Unlike the Europa, the Evora was more adequately marketed and was bringing something new to Lotus! I liked the Europa but it is not what most people wanted, the Evora is a more sensible Lotus!

• Like 1

The Evora is in the 60,000 price range while the Elite will be in the 120,000 price range!

Agreed but I'd wager it'll be a better seller than the Evora. Don't get me wrong I love the Evora, but has it really sold that well? Now it's official, it's a car with no future... ok, so Lotus will strap on a supercharger and use it as a testbed for the flappy paddle gearbox that's bound to be on the new range, but really that's all the Evora will ever be. I can't see the Evora picking up sales now Lotus have essentially ditched the model and given everyone 4 years notice!

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

My knee jerk reaction is that there is a nod towards the Fiat Coupe in there, no?

I like it, but a lot can happen in 3 years, to taste, economy and so on.

PaulC - the essex pricing you refer to is the economic version of Schroedinger's cat, no?

Edited by RichardS3

It gets a thumbs up from me and I prefer it over the Evora. At the price quality control needs to be spot on.

Cheers, Gavin

PaulC - the essex pricing you refer to is the economic version of Schroedinger's cat, no?

Thats mindbending stuff mate, i'll stick to Murphys law and figure if you butter one side of an essex and drop it then the buttered side hits the floor.

£120,000? I actually missed that as the pics were enough for me, will people really spend that on a non supercar Lotus? That would be quite something if they do and good i guess.

What would/could they buy instead?

I hate to say this BUT.... if the Evora had been a proper 2+2 I'd be driving one by now.

So would I! As it stands I'm unlikely to walk in to my friendly Lotus dealer as I think I'd miss 4WD too much in the winter and the Elise is staying. The Mrs keeps suggesting a Panamera would make a very good compromise in 4S form and I've already been dragged to the local 'Porsche Zentrum' to have a look. If it was a similar price to the Porsche, even for a lower power version, I might be able to make a case for keeping the existing car in a local barn for winter trips to the slopes.

A series hybrid driving motors on all wheels would be a different thing altogether.

Anyway, 2014 is a long way off.

Same performance as a Ferrari 599, they start at over £200k and the Elite is hybrid with KERS and with similar emissions to a 106 GTI. You don't get that sort power and technology cheaply and just because your not currently looking to spend that sort of money on a car doesn't mean it's expensive. £120k isn't a lot for a 600bhp+ car nowadays, in fact it's pretty cheap.

Considering a car like this probably represents £100m+ in development costs plus probably £50m+ in tooling it's actually starting to look like good value for money in the company it will be keeping.

Evora NA