free hit
counters
Why does the Esprit have 2 fuel doors/fillers? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Why does the Esprit have 2 fuel doors/fillers?

karmavore

Seriously... I've never known why? Is there a good reason for this?

I'm thinking about removing one of them while she's in for bodywork.

Lucas.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For the record, the Sunbeam Alpine also had two fuel tanks, but unlike the Esprit had just one filler. No breathing-time was required when filling the Alpine (at least with US pumps of the 1970s), but I suspect that not having the tanks squeezed in around an engine meant that the Alpine could have larger plumbing connecting the tanks.

I wonder how much trouble it would be to improve the inter-tank plumbing in an Esprit?

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

when filling up, I always remove both caps as it allows quicker filling, if I don't, either the 'trip' keeps cutting on, or the fuel comes up the filler neck and over the paintwork. I think this is due to the balance pipe between the tanks being too small to cope with the flow of modern pumps?

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Jaguar XJ6s and XJ12s had two tanks and two filler caps in the 70s. I think the GT40 also had two filler caps. Certainly saves you having to remember which side of the petrol pump to park.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

As above, it was purely a sop to convenience while taking advantage of the tank layout. The Stevens cars have a much bigger balance pipe, so there's no need to open both caps when filling. The later cars deleted the rhs filler neck completely and the filler door became a dummy.

I like the feature - when queuing to fill up with fuel you have the choice of all the pumps. Personally not sure that removing one or the other will improve the looks, but each to their own. Also if you remove one what happens when the other one refuses to open? I like the pop open action when you hit the button, but on my car the mechanism seems to be need to be kept clean, lubricated or else it sticks.

Alan

I had always assumed the main reason for having two filler caps and two tanks was that you now doubled your actual chances of getting a leak from a rusty fuel tank lol ;)

Like Dodgy said, I always opened both sides when filling - mainly for breathing but also used to like the confused look on the face of the person on the till.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

As above, it was purely a sop to convenience while taking advantage of the tank layout. The Stevens cars have a much bigger balance pipe, so there's no need to open both caps when filling. The later cars deleted the rhs filler neck completely and the filler door became a dummy.

Yep, that’s for sure.

My S1 has two fillers and the balance pipe is about 10 – 15mm diameter.

If you fill only one tank at the pump the gauge will read full then after a few minutes its at half so you have to fill both tanks.

On my GT3 I have one filler and the balance pipe is about 40mm diameter.

No problem what so ever with filling that up other than remembering which side to go to… just as well the filler open switch only clicks in one direction!

As a side note to that, its well worth having a look at the rubber hoses that link the tanks to the balance pipe.

I was having some work done on the GT3 a year or so back and we noticed that the hoses were badly perished.

Check yours out or you may be in for a nasty surprise!

Airbrakes, non?

Am I the only person who's parked in the middle and filled both at the same time? :huh:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

No, Bibs...I've done both sides at once, too! I like the symmetry of having two fillers...I've replaced the standard ones on mine with alloy quick release ones, having a locking inner insert. Look good and maintains the locking feature...no "flaps" as such on the 82 Turbo.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

So, basically, there's no good reason. :-)

I didn't realize later cars had a "dummy" door". When did this begin?

the *dymmy*-type filler flap on the later cars can be opened by (carefully!) cut the adhesive daps under it with an small knife (protect the body paint on the edges if you do so..!).

..the flap release isn't there ..but 'velcro-strips' work as good as any other stuf (magnetic locks for that matter) -so with this opened you can cut an small hole and place an (fused!) charge port for your battery under it.

..have it done this way.. and it is far more easy if you havent to open your boot all time just to 'power up' your battery for some time. On the other hand, if you place an charge socket into the underside of the body, or wires along the rain 'drain-pipe' you have allways to go on your knees for connecting it..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

GT3's only have 1 port.

Not sure about the later V8s, my V8 had 2 for sure - used to enjoy the choice.

We tried filling the V8 from both sides but got told off by the forecourt owner who wouldn't start the pump, I can see his point as the hoses were across the forecourt, tad dangerous if someone comes around the corner and runs into it - you know how people dont drive using their eyes anymore. Whether I would fill both tanks at the same time is questionable becuase of the breather, I doubt it was designed to fill the car up quickly, more of convenience.

facebook = [email protected]

Jon:

Your GT3's buttress on the opposite side from its fuel filler wasn't smooth, right? It still had the outline of a door?

Brings back a flood of memories from my Europa days.:) Its balance pipe was on the smallish side, and I would usually (but not always, depending upon available fueling time) fill each tank independently. It could be done from one side only, but you had to be patient. Sometimes the pump hose wouldn't make it to the other side, and in any case I wasn't too keen on it rubbing on the paintwork--rubber hose or not.

This, of course, was pre "credit card insertion" days, and I have to wonder if todays' "dual pumps" crowd use two cards and very long arms^_^ or just hope that the first pump chosen doesn't "time out" while you set up the second. For that matter, I wonder if trying to get your card to be "authorized" at two different "locations" at once would bring down the internet?:getmecoat:

I always felt that the chromed (remember chrome?:lol: ) dual filler caps looked pretty cool, as very few cars had them, and the curious looks of fellow fuelers were fun to observe.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Jon:

Your GT3's buttress on the opposite side from its fuel filler wasn't smooth, right? It still had the outline of a door?

Yes, even when the filler on the rhs was deleted, the door and hinge were still there. As Gunter said, the door was just glued down (sikaflex etc) and if you prise it open, there's the area where the filler neck would be. I would imagine the filler was deleted to help with both emissions (fuel vapour) and roll-over security.

It does, of course, mean that the rhs tank could potentially be used for LPG etc or the filler apeture utilised for other connections. This is where I plug in my Kenlowe Hotstart:

blue010.jpg

@GKP: drool, looks several yellow Esprits are sli8ghtl *e- repowered* :thumbup:

@Johnathan: are you sure thhat your V8 was with two functional flaps and filler ports ? thought even on the 'pre 98 interiour there was no longer the two way 'manual lever release' fitted on the sill (like on the old 4 pot cars) - thought the release mechanism was electrified and commonised as far as I know it on all those cars in the '93 series on ?!?

.and for the point of LPG in one side -no, the system is aranged unsymetrically -at least on the V8 (that's for sure) -the pump and sender is on one tank , and the filler on the other. So you would need to rearange both functions (filling and carring the pump/sender) in one tank.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..