free hit
counters
Everyone hates SUVs - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JRTurbo909

Everyone hates SUVs

I bought a 1984 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer when I got to Canada :P

Used it alot off-road when I had the farm, and sold it 10 years later with 350,000kms on the clock :(

bb_4685.jpeg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had to order a new company car last fall and they gave me several to choose from - Camry (yawn), Caravan (soccer mom special), Pacifica (overweight former frat matress special), or Jeep Liberty :).

So I took the Jeep! :)

I live about two miles from the factory where it was built - cool, I thought, support the local economy! :(

I have always been anti-SUV unless it has a purpose. Mine had 1 mile on the odometer when I when to pick it up, and it left the dealership carrying about 350 pounds of cargo (my stock for my job), which I transferred from the old company car (Caravan, yuck) into the Jeep right there on the lot.

Before it had 1000 miles on it, I installed a trailer hitch on it and drove it to Arizona to haul back the new Esprit.

It also came in handy during a blizzard in the little bit of winter weather we actually got this season (back at the end of November). 4WD, ABS, and traction control worked nicely on an unplowed Interstate 90.

It now has 9k miles, and has yet to be used for any purpose other than carrying cargo, pulling a trailer, or transport in bad snow.

I still would prefer something that gets 30mpg on the highway, but I'm trying not to abuse my custody of the SUV. :)

I use the 944 for errands and the Esprit for fun . . . :)

I still don't like SUVs. I try to keep it real with "mine".

If Patty and I have children, they will fit fine in the back of the 944 for several years. My neices and nephews who have ridden in the back thought it was cool. :(

Maybe a 308 GT4 as a second car when the kids are little? :) ...ah, but it doesn't really get good mileage . . .

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All this talk about SUV's and Land Rovers.... I love my '97 Disco, and very much enjoy going off roading/greenlaning.

post-1082-1144074369.jpg

post-1082-1144074392.jpg

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

All this talk about SUV's and Land Rovers.... I love my '97 Disco, and very much enjoy going off roading/greenlaning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joey,

Would you happen to know a guy named Jack Baruth who until recently had a green late model Disco (with Ohio license plate that reads DISCO)? I ask because he lives in Columbus, Ohio, has been active with a group of Land Rover off-roaders, and I figure there can't be that many of between OH and WV . . .

- T

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Joey,

Would you happen to know a guy named Jack Baruth who until recently had a green late model Disco  (with Ohio license plate that reads DISCO)?  I ask because he lives in Columbus, Ohio, has been active with a group of Land Rover off-roaders, and I figure there can't be that many of between OH and WV . . .

- T

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Tony, but I don't know him personally, but I have have met him online.. you know how that goes... I am a memember or www.discoweb.org and a Mod on www.landroverworld.org so I may have chatted in the past.

Good news the '84 turbo that I am looking at, the guy said he may get it out of the garage this week to take some interior pics and engine pics. He says it has never seen rain or cold (heated garage)... Got to love people who take good care of there Esprits.

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

Tony, I think you made a wise choice, the Liberty is a good vehicle :)

The Downsized Cherokee was a great piece of functional design by AMC's Richard Tiegue( one eyed car designer) B)

The majority of driving done on mine was on gravel roads, and when my first daughter was born, I would regulary have to drive around all night on bumpy unmade roads to rock her to sleep.

Our Jeep was also rolled twice (by the Mrs., but not her fault) and repaired.

I actually got to one accident scene before the tow truck arrives, and rolled it back on its wheels and drove it out of a deep drainage ditch (pissed the tow truck driver right off when he eventually arrived)

This is in 1992, picking up the baby from hospital in it. :(

OurJeep.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Never reallized Richard Teague was one eyed dick :)

Alright. I may be going to lose a lot of respect and come across looking like a hypocrite, but...

toyota_fj_cruiser_concept_4.jpg

They just started selling these. I can't help but think it's at least kind of cool :( would look great in lime green or orange. I'd like to pile a bunch of surfboards in the back more than I would in most things.

As for Dick Teague... his best work, the AMX/3 :)

amx3.jpg

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Sorry for the long cut/paste but I thought it was relevant

Hybrids Consume More Energy in Lifetime Than Chevrolet's Tahoe SUV

BANDON, Ore., March 31 /PRNewswire/ --

As Americans become increasingly interested in fuel economy and global warming, they are beginning to make choices about the vehicles they drive based on fuel economy and to a lesser degree emissions. But many of those choices aren't actually the best in terms of vehicle lifetime energy usage and the cost to society over the full lifetime of a car or truck.

CNW Marketing Research Inc. spent two years collecting data on the energy necessary to plan, build, sell, drive and dispose of a vehicle from initial concept to scrappage. This includes such minutia as plant to dealer fuel costs, employee driving distances, electricity usage per pound of material used in each vehicle and literally hundreds of other variables.

To put the data into understandable terms for consumers, it was translated into a "dollars per lifetime mile" figure. That is, the Energy Cost per mile driven.

The most Energy Expensive vehicle sold in the U.S. in calendar year 2005: Maybach at $11.58 per mile. The least expensive: Scion xB at $0.48 cents.

While neither of those figures is surprising, it is interesting that driving a hybrid vehicle costs more in terms of overall energy consumed than comparable non-hybrid vehicles.

For example, the Honda Accord Hybrid has an Energy Cost per Mile of $3.29 while the conventional Honda Accord is $2.18. Put simply, over the "Dust to Dust" lifetime of the Accord Hybrid, it will require about 50 percent more energy than the non-hybrid version.

One of the reasons hybrids cost more than non-hybrids is the manufacture, replacement and disposal of such items as batteries, electric motors (in addition to the conventional engine), lighter weight materials and complexity of the power package.

And while many consumers and environmentalists have targeted sport utility vehicles because of their lower fuel economy and/or perceived inefficiency as a means of transportation, the energy cost per mile shows at least some of that disdain is misplaced.

For example, while the industry average of all vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2005 was $2.28 cents per mile, the Hummer H3 (among most SUVs) was only $1.949 cents per mile. That figure is also lower than all currently offered hybrids and Honda Civic at $2.42 per mile.

"If a consumer is concerned about fuel economy because of family budgets or depleting oil supplies, it is perfectly logical to consider buying high- fuel-economy vehicles," says Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research, Inc. "But if the concern is the broader issues such as environmental impact of energy usage, some high-mileage vehicles actually cost society more than conventional or even larger models over their lifetime.

"We believe this kind of data is important in a consumer's selection of transportation," says Spinella. "Basing purchase decisions solely on fuel economy or vehicle size does not get to the heart of the energy usage issue."

The goal of overall worldwide energy conservation and the cost to society in general -- not just the auto buyer -- can often be better addressed by being aware of a car or truck's "dust to dust" energy requirements, he said.

This study is not the end of the energy-usage discussion. "We hope to see a dialog begin that puts educated and aware consumers into energy policy decisions," Spinella said. "We undertook this research to see if perceptions (about energy efficiency) were true in the real world."

Source: CNW Marketing Research, Inc.

Oh and BTW, my other car is a Hummer.... :)

post-54-1144117018.jpg

1995 S4s

A large proportion of the cost of a car is the cost of the energy that goes into it. Hybrids are expensice even after the manufacturer has subsidised it so it's no great surprise to read the results.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

heh, yep :(

I remember there was a guy in my neighborhood who drove one around while I was in middle school/high school.

You could always hear it coming... just a low buzzing :) Actually by that I mean it was recognizable, not loud at all though. So he was always sneaking up on kids playing ball in the street :)

guess GM nixed that idea after a while :(

My old work had a supply of Honda EVs that theoretically any employee could use, but they dropped that program last year (as nobody was using them) and apparently hauled all of them to the dump. Replaced them with Natural Gas civics, some of which actually don't have the natural gas conversion apparently :)

nobody uses them

hondax.jpg

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Did any of you Californians, drive/lease/know someone who had a GM Impact Electric car? :(

gm_impact-3.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually my ex-gf's dad had one of those GM EVs. I rode around with him in it a few times. he loved it. completely impractical...

slade, you know the engineering students at ucr can apply to drive those cars? I never wanted to complete the paperwork but i was eligible to drive one...

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

I completed the paperwork right when they cancelled it and sent all of them to the dump :( I think only CE CERT employees can use the new Civic NGs which are sparser.

And I'm not an engineering major anymore I'm afraid (at least, officially I won't be tommorow). Bidness :lol: (yeah they're giving me sh!t about switching late)

slade