free hit
counters
Everyone hates SUVs - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JRTurbo909

Everyone hates SUVs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They should just leave it in there , it will help fill up the hole. :lol:

Not a great lover of SUVs Im afraid. :D

Now true offroaders like Land-Rovers, Jeeps etc they can be alot of fun :lol:

camel_trophy_rover_3.jpg

Edited by WayneB

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hate the SUVs. Wonder when god will come to California and start eliminating them with similarly grand feats. I'm sick of almost being killed by them.

My sister bought an 02 Disco and hates it. She uses it as a minivan, (she lives in the OC and only bought it cause she needed a car that matched her purse or something) and I guess the car is protesting that by breaking down every other week. My mom borrowed it once for 3 days, and on 3 instances it broke down. (might just be my mom and my sister :lol:

Even though American SUVs actually are reliable, you could never get me in one. Huge principles against em that are well documented in the APX thread :D (uhh... except that when both of my non-SUV cars are broken down, I wind up borrowing my mom's old Blazer... which fell out of favor with her when she finally saw the light after having been given my dad's old corvette.

At least that Disco takes a lot of the "why would you buy an unreliable British car" pressure that this family gives off of me :D

After all, not only is it British but it's a Ford :lol:

I'd rather take Wayne's route and get the ol' station wagon. More room on the inside too.

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

IT just depends,

On what you use them for !!

Mike :lol::lol::D

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

I own a '97 Disco and it has never left me stranded.... but like a lotus if I speak too loud, just maybe.... drive it like it was meant to be driven and maintain it the best you can and it will continue to go.

I just went off roading this weekend and had a blast. I have only gotten stuck once and that was my error not the trucks... first time I went real slow into something I high centered. Oh well.

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

we own a range rover, and the reason behind it is to get out the estate in the snow (b4 you laugh, any snow at all and the supra cant get even get off the drive, and as misses has her own buisness the rent still needs paying even if she isnt there)

oh yeah and its needs 22"s and tints of course lol

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Tread carefully in the SUV debate, guys, whether you personally dislike them or not... as has been said many times already, today's gas-guzzling-waste-of-space-inconsiderate-drivers anti-SUV hate campaign is tomorrow's gas-guzzling-waste-of-space-inconsiderate-drivers anti-sports car hate campaign.

Any argument you level at urban 4x4's can be levelled at the angels of the urban landscape: black cabs - dirty diesels, big, bulky, pedestrian-unfriendly, always stopping in stupid places to drop off or pick up, rarely have more than 1 or 2 people in them, inefficient on fuel at speed... yet they're beloved of politicians as part of this "public transport network" we hear so much about, to the point of getting their own priority lanes in the road... :lol:

If you get annoyed by 4x4 drivers because of their choice of transport, tough. That's what choice is all about, and there will always be somebody who appears to you to have more money than sense. So what if they need a big shiney ego-boost to drive around - we could all have the same criticism levelled at us I'm sure. :D

The UK motorist in particular is under seige, and there's nothing better liked by politicians than a bit of 'divide and conquer'... today the SUV, tomorrow who knows what section of the motoring public? Notice how they're not chasing the obvious targets for road damage, congestion, and pollution, the lorries, because lorry drivers are too well organised to resist such a move...

Rant over :lol::D

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

Well said Dan! It is free choice, plus I'm sure the antis will move from SUV's to sports cars when they feel their job is 'done.' Just like the anti-hunt lot want to move on to fishing, shooting, horse racing.....

Soon we wont be able to have any free choice!!

I've ALWAYS wanted a Range Rover since I was a kid - probably as much as the Esprit - They're the only two cars I've ever REALLY wanted to own. Nothing about egos, flashness (as I knew nothing of these when I was still in shorts!) It was just (and still is) the way they looked - something about them just 'grabbed' me. :P

So, when I can afford, my garage will house a Range Rover and an Esprit - and I don't mind admitting it!

Andy

PS - And of course my MK1 Golf will be stuffed in the corner too!

MK1 Volkswagen Golf Owners Club Well, had to get this one in if anyones interested?!

Thats some tow unit Mike. :(

Must have a ton of torque to pull the big boat when its carrying a Transit van! :(  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nissan know a thing or two about torque, did quite well at Le Mans , Dontcha Know !

Mike :(

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

i like the range rovers (or land rovers)...

i guess my only real gripe with SUVs is the fact that they caused the demise of the sports car in the mid nineties over here in the states. i mean, their popularity caused many desireable cars from over here to not be sold anymore. just to name a few: supra, rx7, mr2, etc...

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

I understand your arguments Dan.

But SUVs still make me absolutely sick. :( I think that the events seeking to stifle both SUVs and sports cars, coupled with the opposed trend of more people buying SUVs are impending signs of the apocalypse.

I thought long and hard to try and think of an SUV I could post that I found appealing. Thought I could put a bit of a positive spin on my post. Can't always be negative.

Came up with nothing.

Uhh WAIT!!!

This: :P

dbo1.jpg

slade.

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

I thought long and hard to try and think of an SUV I could post that I found appealing. Thought I could put a bit of a positive spin on my post. Can't always be negative.

Came up with nothing.

slade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Slade - I may be able to help, but they're not fashion 4x4's I'm afraid:

Maybe a series one Landie?

preserie1.jpg

Or what about something a bit chunkier? Everytime I see one I just want to run up to it and give it a big oily hug, then get my spanners out:

forwardcontrol.jpg

Dan.

Dan

Alright. I'll admit I can respect them.

But they'll never give me wood :lol:

Give me a Manx dune buggy :)

slade

Edited by slade

Hi guys

We have 3 small kids

so its either a SUV or a -DARE I SAY IT- MINIVAN!!

So since I would rather be caught dead than be in the minvan, we have a Acura MDX for the kids. its fantastic actually being a honda product. Rides like a dream , can go off roading and you hear zero outside noise on the inside. I had a 97 Disco but had problems with it but would actually love a new LR3 which is probably next.

that is how it is out here in the states,if you have kids and you get a suv or minivan . no other alternative - a station wagon -evan a Audi or BMW are butt ugly. SO wifey has the Acura I have the Infinty M45 for my daily driver(still need some horses)and my Lotus for making love to(those tail pipes are pretty big) :lol:

Range Rover owner and proud of it - haters deal with it :lol:

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Me and Vic want a proper Land rover Defender 90. :)

(vicki wants a dog to keep in the back too)

1486.jpg

I can't tolerate all the soft roaders and their expensive

painted plastic bumpers and trim jutting out of every corner.

At least with a Proper Land Rover you can stroll round it drunk

with a hammer and in the morning it just looks better (like an

old leather jacket). Brush the corner of an X5 against a tree

and it's a

I bought a 1984 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer when I got to Canada :)

Used it alot off-road when I had the farm, and sold it 10 years later with 350,000kms on the clock :P

Now Im a city dweller, no more real need for a 4WD so Im a station wagoner and the Mrs. is mini vannin (she loves her van):lol:

Still miss the old Jeep though :)

bb_4685.jpeg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Renu has an old 90 just for off road and dog transport

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

By way of pickups, they're the ride of choice in my neck of the woods. Usually slightly tolerable because more often they are used for their purpose (but more often than not they are still given chrome 24"s, raised to monster truck height, obviously never taken off road and sporting stupid stickers from random trendy companies.

We've always had one truck, useful for hauling cars/parts/plants etc. Dodge seems to make the most quality product right now, everything on our Ram feels solid. The brakes are surprisingly weak, but it has surprisingly more steering feel than a Chevy or Ford. Unfortunately ours is the V6 and a bit underpowered :lol: but it's managed to tow the Lotus... only once :)

People worship the SRT-10 Ram over here, with the Viper engine.

I haven't driven any recent Ford pickups but up until recently they had the nastiest interiors. Looks like they at least made the dashboard look nicer.

I'm a GM guy, but Chevy pickups usually feel flimsier.

slade

Range Rover owner and proud of it - haters deal with it  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps I should have come clean and added that I also have a LR90 'resting' with my folks in Devon; I sold my Range Rover to my dad last year purely because I wasn't using it once I got a company car (in addition to the Lotus and the other two cars...), and he's had a 1961 Series 2 Landie for about 22 years now.

Buy a proper Landie and it becomes part of the family... :(:)

Dan.

Dan