free hit
counters
Very Smug - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Very Smug

neil e

Out and about in my v8gt this weekend. Had to pull into the local shell for some fuel.

Whilst filling minding my own buisness a chap pulled in to the pump behind me in a 10 reg Porsche 911 Gt Turbo Nutter Bast##d thingie. Dunno which model as cant stand the things but given the way it was it had to be well over the 100K mark to buy.

Any way he was obviously feeling very proud of him self as his mate in the passanger seat was talking rather loudly about how good this car was.

I strolled into the shop to pay. Whilst in the shop a minbus of boy scouts pulled in and within seconds of it stopping all the lads and the adults were out peering round the Lotus. I came back to the car bombarded with questions, and constant mobile camera clicking.

a full 15 minuites went by while they looked inside outside. By now I had to move it as the pump was needed. After they all had their drinks etc off they went. I left with as you can imagine quite a smile on my face.

And Mr Porsche? Not a bit of intrest from anybody, he just paid got in and drove off...Fantastic.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mutley00

Wonderful - still laughing as I type.

Had a similar experience at a Car show recently when a Silver Ferrari parked next to me dispite the look of horror on my face.

I put the ratio of admirers at 4 to 1 in my favour and I let loads of Kids & Adults get in & make themselves comfortable. Plenty of people mentioned raiding the piggy bank one day - none mentioned it was to buy a Ferrari though.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Porsches are so common whereas I haven't seen an Esprit since the Cars and Coffee I went to in Charlotte in April. Porsches don't even look that nice. I was say behind one in a line of traffic the other day and it had a big, bloated rear end where the engineers had widened the track to try to help keep it on the road. In their favour, they are well made and have an excellent fit and finish but I would take the Esprit with its failings over one any day. At least, if it breaks down, it's still a thing of beauty to look at.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

As a child my daughter used to call Porches "Herbie Cars".

Glorified VWs built for advertising execs who don't know any better.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Not exactly 'on thread' but.....

I have just started a new job and a group of us were shown where to go if the fire alarm goes off, and we had to walk through the car park right past my car.

Our trainer turned round and said "How do you like my new car?" pointing to my pride and joy.

I turned to her and said "Thats funny it looks just like mine!"

At which point she turned to me and said "Is it yours?"

"Yes" I said

"Really?" she said

"Yes" I repeated.

I felt sooooo smug :D

Same happened to me. Went to a car meet with Ferraris, M3 CSLs, Porches etc... 9 out of 10 people were around the Lotus. As the OP, I have no qualms about letting people take pics, sit in the car, ask questions etc... Some of the ferrari owners I met are not so forthcoming

Ferrari Drivers do tend to be more aloof! However I find Porker drivers very chatty........Infact I normally have to ask them to shut up and finish cutting my hair!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Returning to the car after the Renault event at Silverstone last week my brother-in-law commented on the lack of people admiring the car. As we popped the boot and sorted ourselves out several people stopped by and asked if they could take a photo - naturally I obliged and stood to one side (casting a smug glance at my brother-in-law of course). Meanwhile I caught a glimpse of a DB9 parked a few rows back, in full sight as the cars inbetween us had left.

Lo and behold a leggy blonde trots towards us, passed the DB9, completely ignoring it and shouts "Don't think I'm a weirdo or anything, but can I sit in your car whilst my boyfriend takes a few pictures?". Naturally I was happy to oblige as my brother-in-law was by now sat in the passenger seat. The look on his face was priceless.

Edited by hedgerley