free hit
counters
Lotus Motorsport Legacy Continues... - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Motorsport Legacy Continues...

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LMP2!!! Finally this is exactly what Group Lotus should focus on!

Rebuilding the racing legacy of the car division from the ground up an not the top down!

Focus the effort on programs that can generate money by selling cars to customer team!

The Evora will have a role to play in GT3 and 4 and I'm guessing the future GT2 will be the new incarnation of the Esprit!

This is completely logical when you consider the opposition in the category!

The Group should can all single seater efforts and target 'Endurance Racing' until they can find a common ground with Tony Fernandes and Team Lotus!

Now lets hope that they haven't alienated to many potential clients! The kind of PR stunt we have seen in the past hours is rarely popular with the kind of clientele Lotus Cars is after!

Agreed. I think a clear way of explaining this mess would be to have Lotus Motorsport concentrate on closed wheel racing cars/series and Team Lotus could then run the open wheeled championships. The only problem with this is that I think Lotus would benefit greatly from the Indycar Team in North America (though only once there is some actual Lotus involvement in creating the aero package). Perhaps Team Lotus could be persuaded to work on this too for a little cash injection from Group Lotus? Team Lotus could then offer their sponsors such as CNN exposure in two very popular racing series instead of just in one!

Actually the only positive outcome for all lotus parties involved: Classic Team, New Team, Factory and shareholders in all entities to reestablish the relations that did exist between all entities from 1985 on, when they collaborated to some extent!

Lotus cars cannot enter Indy under the Team banner cause back in the day Team Lotus entered Indy, therefore David hunt could have sued Group Lotus this year when Takuma used the helmet showing the Team Lotus indy winning car!

To add to that point there may not be any Indycar series in 2012 or 2011. Teams are broke and have to rely on ridebuyers to fund their efforts ! Sponsors joining are only coming for the 500! The series is broadcasted on a third tier or fourth tier cable channel except for the main event! And the tech package has become technically irrelevant! Plus and this is the cherry on top of the fugly cake most teams will not be able to buy or build the 2012 aerokit!

The owners of the series may pull the plug after the centenial of 500 next year!

Just saw the rendering of the future LMP2 project! WTH????!!!!

Option one Lotus signed a deal with Lola for the production of the new car which would be shameful!

Option two Lotus wants to alienate himself the entire motorsport community by using an image of the Lola B08 coupé!

Edited by NedaSay

Those images were downloaded from the Group Lotus media centre. They're genuine Lotus renderings would you believe!

1002726.jpg

b-k-motorsports-lola-b08-86-mazda-mzr-r-coupe.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Promising, but only a video - do GL really have the resources to deliver all this as well as the new road cars to be shown tomorrow? Proton have done an admirable job financing GL over the last 15 years but this must represent a very big increase.

Also I see the Evora GT car section (2:10-2:30) shows Jarno Trulli driving (unless I am very mistaken) and the Lotus Racing logo appears on a flag. Obviously that session at Snetterton happened earlier in the year, but perhaps it shows relations are not as bad as they look currently?

You can see Jarno in this one and you can see Mike in another also from shots of the Snetterton events!

You can see shots of cars currently under the custody of Classic Team Lotus!

This thing must have been a copyright nightmare to produce!

I'd like to know about factory upgrade!

Proton have committed £770m to Group Lotus over the next 10 years. As long as they don't spread themselves to thin and sell a reasonable amount of customer cars, that's a reasonable budget for the new road cars and the racing programme(s) if VVA brings the benefits the expect and Toyota the engine/gearbox packages. I would suggest however that doesn't include any F1 aspirations!

The answer has to be a formal support arrangement - finacial possibly, engineering certainly - from Group Lotus for Lotus Racing then both go into 2011 as Team Lotus. They have obviously cooperated on the Evora GT4 with both Jarno and Heiki helping with the shakedown tests at Hethel so they have been on good terms most of this year. Get togther guys!!!

Mark I'd like the powers that be to listen to you! Clearly both entities will be stronger if the work with one another!

I hope that the President of Malaysia who happens to be the main shareholder of Proton Berhad (which is nationally owned) to get everybody around the table for a productive talk!

Clearly the current situation is good for none! Lotus branding needs to be clarified! One good way to do this would be for Group Lotus to acquire (be given equity) in Team Lotus! However the deal would have to be enticing enough for Tony Fernandes and his shareholders as they have done most of the heavy lifting until today!

In all logic Group Lotus would commit to support Team Lotus by providing engineering and other services to Team Lotus until the day Tony Fernandes would decide to leave the sport! At which date Group Lotus could acquire all rights relevant to Team Lotus! On their side Tony Fernandes' Tune Group could provide sponsorship, marketing and HR support to the Proton Satria WRC program!

With this scheme Team Lotus would deal with all things single seater (F1, GP2...) While Lotus Motorsport would lead the Endurance, GT, and Indycar effort (this one beats me but the US market is of prime importance for Lotus Cars) with technical support from Team Lotus. Could you imagine Paolo Catone, Mark Smith and Mike Gascoyne working together!!! Could you imagine Heikki,Jarno and Takuma on a LMP2 roadster at Le Mans in 2012!

It could be the win win deal everybody wants but it may never happen!

Edited by NedaSay

Unfortunately I just can't see that happening as it currently stands. Fernandes obviously wants to own / control his team's destiny and Lotus want to ensure that they control the Lotus brand (and they are being run by a guy who understands the importance of branding).

I suspect we'll see Lotus in F1 sooner rather than later, but I don't think it will be with the current group. There are obviously strong links with some other teams and local team Sauber are losing the 'BMW' in their title next year. Alternatively Bahar obviously is very closely linked with a couple of other teams without strong manufacturer links.

A sleeping giant has been awakened. This news is so farking incredible I can hardly contain myself! The green and yellow are back with a vengance it seems. Good on ya' Dany. You're back in my good graces.

However......

"I suspect we'll see Lotus in F1 sooner rather than later, but I don't think it will be with the current group. There are obviously strong links with some other teams and local team Sauber are losing the 'BMW' in their title next year. Alternatively Bahar obviously is very closely linked with a couple of other teams without strong manufacturer links."

Andrew, you have brought up a most interesting scenario, one that had not occurred to me. Could it be that Group Lotus (and Proton in general) are looking to show Tony the door because they have already lined up his replacement, or intend to do so? What a low ball thing to do after all the effort (not to mention real money) that Fernandes has expended in bringing the marque's name back into the limelight. I have to wonder if GL's ambitious motorsport plans would have come to such aggressive fruition had Tony not put his hat in the ring first. I can appreciate Hethel's desire to keep things under one corporate banner, so to speak, but to abandon their chief standard bearer in the racing world [at this point] is not cricket to my mind. Business "sportsmenship" ought to dictate a place at the table for the man breaking trail.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

So Group Lotus would be okay to use a facility based in Switzerland when they want nothing more but to be compared to Ferrari, a company which takes pride in doing everything it does at home in Italy! In addition to that, upgrading the test track to sub F1 standard doesn't add up to the Sauber theory! Team Lotus is more advantageous in my book: already based less than 30 miles away and susceptible to look for a new base as the team grows, it has a good staff... I could go on! Plus Tony Fernandes a cunning business man who has done most of the leg work to acquire the only thing Group Lotus misses (Team Lotus brand) can and I think should be seen as an ally not the enemy!