free hit
counters
Lotus DPM - Elise gets stable... - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus DPM - Elise gets stable...

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, I saw that and the reference 'from the entry level Elise 1.6 upwards' and thought that there must be some good news around the corner.

Interestingly, I don't have anything other than ABS on the Elise (a 2009 MY) and have never felt the need. The only time I really have lost traction (and hadn't planned to lose a bit of traction) was on a pass a few weekends ago when the road at a corner was covered by gravel. But I judged the best action was just to ride it and got a lovely balanced 4 wheel drift before I got to the other side and normal progress returned. If the road hadn't been free from oncoming I could have easily braked before hand. From my perspective the Elise has fantastic traction and is very stable under braking.

I do wonder whether these systems encourage folk to lean on them on the road instead of planning for the road ahead, and whether as a result some folk leave less margin for error.

I wonder if they have to do this anyway. ABS has been mandatory for a while, suspect traction control cant be far behind.

As long as there is a way of switching off then this is a positive. I know of a couple of younger Lotus owners who might have been saved an expensive redesign of their cars on wet roundabouts / junctions.

Alan

The elise can catch you out on standing water - esp if you have semi slicks.

Originally it took alot of hamfist driving to upset the 120bhp car but with 200 bhp+ pretty much a standard coupled with a heavier mass the car will let go more easily.

Not the easiest car to catch either if you are not expecting it.

I found the ABS/Brakes on the 211 frankly stunning - really very hard to engage full ABS with just a little chirp here and there as the road surface changes. Not much that could keep up under braking - one trackday in Abingdon I had a couple people ask how the hell I was leaving it so late on the brakes and still making it round the corner.

Really? I mean, Really? Stability control? FFS!

Whats next? Put an Audi badge on it call it a TT and sell it to hairdressers?

If you can't control the bloody thing go buy a TT or a Porker. Don't buy a nuts and bolt racer for the road. Jeez. Who the hell came up with that idea? Someone who can't drive worth a shit obviously!

Jesus!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

And on that bombshell from Kimbers, we'll be saying good night and see you next week!

(apologies to Mr. Clarkson):hrhr:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I can understand it on the great wallowy 3 ton piles of poo many Americans seem to drive, but on a Lotus? Absolute bollocks.

And thats me done for the day! Good day and Goodnight!

Bollocks I said!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks Tony. +1 On your comments, and regarding those big piles of poo we drive over here, I *TOTALLY* agree with you.

Interesting though about heavy cars. I don't know if this is happening everywhere (I suspect it is), but cars are just getting ridiculously heavy for their size in the US market. Even the Honda Civic is edging toward 3000 lbs. NO car that small has ANY business weighing that much! Maybe that's why ASC is gonna be required...plus the fact that we Yanks are the very WORST-TRAINED drivers in the so-called modern industrialised world...OK I'll stop myself here....

[/rant]

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

You realise of course that the majority of Elise and Exige drivers are far from driving gods. The demolished hedges and and battered armco is a testament to this.

The "I was coming off the roundabout, probably doing about 30 and it just started to spin..." etc threads happen every autumn. Damaged clams, ripped out suspension mounts and torn sills could soon be a thing of the past thanks to tech like DPM.

+1 for a switch to turn it all off.

THis is why I have my 89SE. No ABS!

Later today I have to go work on my sisters crappy Chevy Aveo with a malfunctioning drive by wire throttle. Toyota much...?

Stupid car has error codes on every sensor on that branch of the wiring harness, including Map, evap, and AC. The electronic throttle just sits there vibrating an will only open 30%, it also has a tendency to freeze open in the cold...

Really don't want electronics intercepting my inputs.

I have a friend who broke his Esprit throttle cable while driving. He was able to fix it with a piece of woof on the side of the road by pulling on the cable out the drivers window... got him home

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE