free hit
counters
Taillights concept - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Taillights concept

What is your opinion. Looks better or not? This is a Photoshop rendering. I tried to paste a bigger one, but website does not like the file extension. I think you can make it bigger if you paste it into "My Pictures" and than use magnify function.

post-11050-056510800 1285786454.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS
  • Like 1

MrDangerUS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ah ok, well it reminds me instantly of a Honda Prelude (had you not said ithey were Toyota...) !

Horrible, looks like trying to mix oil with water ! Much better with the stock units, though still Toyota of course ! :lol:

Vincent,

C'est pas vrai! Les feus OEM sont vachement degoullasse.

Ils sont de vieux Rover!

Almost anything looks better than red-white-and-yello "picket fence" stock lights. They simply collide with "layerd" horizontal lines of the whole rr end.

However, I may agree with you a little. I object to the shiny silver intrusion created by the Corolla clear lenses.

I hope, you'll agree, that dark smoked lights combined with non-ribbed or carbon black (with red stripe or not) plinth would look better.

!B3evDFgBWk~$(KGrHqJ,!jYE)p(PilqWBMmWfcd)+w~~_35.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Vincent,

C'est pas vrai! Les feus OEM sont vachement degoullasse.

Ils sont de vieux Rover!

:lol: No I think the Stevens light clusters are indeed from a Toyota (a low volume "Celica" coupé IIRC ?), the Rover units were fitted to the old/Guigiaro Esprits I believe...

I think your smoked lense go well with your bright red paint work, but for me, a BRG SE lover, I find that the big "blocks" of orange and red go well with the BRg color. I just love the fornt orange repeater for example.

I am with you wit hthe clear lenses though ! They look way too modern compared to the car, they look completely out of place, not to mention that all the boy racer kids put these clear lenses on all their go-faster shopping trolleys !

Edited by troutrou

Here is another variation of the same Corolla lights with LED array!

387231971_o.jpgPersonally, I like version with the red at the top for my (red) car.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

. Hej, what are you doing so late in the middle of the night?Are you a night owl, like me?

Nope ! I would really like to sleep at 10PM, but I have recently moved to a new flat/building, it's very old, zero noise insulation, so it's very noisy, there is always a noise of some sort from somewhere ! It's never 100% silent, so I can't find sleep ! Pfff...

I have already applied for a new flat in a more modern/quiet building, but the procedure always takes many months or years, so I am not holding my breath...

I looked every Corolla light from 1982 and I found that Lotus original lights are Toyota Corolla AE86 ae85 levin trueno (taillights 4A)

!B2Dfq!wCGk~$(KGrHqIOKiYEyBJ8RIwPBMg9uVkDVQ~~_3.JPG

!B2DfytgB2k~$(KGrHqMOKikE)(B)5+NFBMg9ujdu4Q~~_3.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

The originals are from a Corolla Hatchback "AE86"...if you search ae86 tails you will find a few variants...like this 85 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchback

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1747/4261/29367130007_large.jpg

Keep in mind that most of the aftermarket ae86 "trueno" tail lights will require that you modify the rear valence because they don't have the "tab on the inside upper edge. You will undoubtedly have to do some extra custom work on the license plate plinth.

You should just add leds into the stock housings to modernize the look...look at my profile for pics.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php/garage/vehicle/306-lotus-esprit-s4s-1995-1996/page__tab__images#

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Your LED lights look cooooool! Did you do thie yourself? 10 per cluster, white or blue?

Ballast resistor, or straight tap?

I found identical lights on 1983 TOYOTA COROLLA SR-5 467f_1.JPG

MrDangerUS

I bought a led trailer light kit from Harbor Freight...two to be exact, and harvested the led clusters from those trailer kits. Then I got out the dremel and carefully carved the exact opening to duplicate the rectangle of the led modules and press fit them in (basically dremel off the reflector housings that protrude from the back in your pics above. After they were in place I just siliconed any gaps to seal from moisture, hooked up the appropriate wires..(+ and - for brake and tail) and I was good to go. Since the trailer kit is wired like a typical tail light there were no balasts to deal with...it was just match the wires and good to go. There was some custom grinding to make it all fit, so some type of dremel tool with cutting discs and a "tungsten tip" grinder piece like this:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=9903

The trailer kit I used as the donor leds:

http://www.harborfreight.com/one-pair-submersible-trailer-led-lights-94137.html

The red lenses and black housings are discarded...when you open them up you will find the part you will use...it has built in led "magnifiers" to increase the brightness output.

They are VERY bright when you hit the brakes...so much so it will usually get tail-gaiters to back off.

I did this with an extra set of tails in case I did not like it, but after how it turned out it seems like the natural evolution for these style tail lights.

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Mark,

Please tell me that you have some other sort of support under the car and you aren't just relying on the jack?!? :shock:

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 2 weeks later...