free hit
counters
LEAKED : Paris 2010 : Lotus new Esprit, Elan, Elite & Elise - Page 10 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

LEAKED : Paris 2010 : Lotus new Esprit, Elan, Elite & Elise

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcnw05biUuE Elite Elise Esprit Eteme New Elan New Elise New Esprit New Elite

These are awesome looking cars !!!!!!! Definitely carrying on the tradition. WOULD LOVE TO DRIVE THEM !

When I was a teenager, back in the seventies, I really aspired to all things Lotus, especially the Esprit of course. I would imagine that most of the current teenagers will now do the same again -

Posted Images

An interesting comparison in Winding Road, one that seems to prefer the 'purity' of the Evora design, inside and out, to the 458. Given that the guy who designed the 458 is now responsible for the new Lotus range there's going to be some interesting debates when the new cars hit the road, particularly if the Evora has done well and is still around.

Edited by hedgerley
  • 1 month later...

Nothing like reviving a past thread.

Just one question. Just wondering if MJK has an opinion? (Unless he is bound by some sort of agreement or gentlemens rule of saying nothing about a successor.)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

That's exactly the case unfortunately.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thought it would be Bibs. How long does the gag last after having left or is it indefinite? Would have been one of those really interesting opinions.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

It's a contractual obligation post employment. I'm not privy to all the details, I just know he's had some very serious legal letters recently which is a shame after all he's done for the company.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nuff said.

I don't think I have seen MJK post on here once since leaving the helm. :(

Can't see DB joining here though. :getmecoat:

He lent us his car for the NEC and arranged some excellent marketing materials for us to hand out, he's a nice guy from my experiences with him :)

Evora NA

Fair enough.

While he's certainly not the automotive world's antichrist, I could warm up to him a lot more if he'd settle the F1 issue in a fair and equitable manner. Whether or not his marketing machinations and "upscale" aspirations bear profitable fruit remains to be seen. I'm willing to withhold final judgement until that determination is made, but trying to tamp down initial reactions to current controversies is proving difficult for many of us.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I think the weight of the new cars has had a bad rap. Don't forget the Evora is only 50 kg or so lighter than a Cayman so they are already lighter than the opposition but not necessarily light. The problem, I think, is the GFRP body work which, while not needing super-expensive tooling, is not particularly light when laid up thick enough to give a quality feel. Certainly the Esprit body is not particularly light.

Mind you, a 20% increase in the weight of the Elise is difficult to justify, even with it being so over-powered.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Just in case any of you have yet to read your January 2011 copy of "Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Technology International" magazine :whistle: its worth looking at the interview with Wolf Zimmerman on P61. He runs through the new cars, adding a few details I have not seen before and explains why he moved from AMG to Lotus.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b0b8b8bd#/b0b8b8bd/61

Finally, a man able to express Lotus' vision for the future in plain english (from a German, no less!). This article should be mandatory reading for anyone (myself undeniably included) concerned with the new direction that the company is taking. Mercedes' loss is assuredly Lotus' gain. While Zimmerman fully acknowledges Dany's desire to compete with (even emulate) the likes of Ferrari, he (Wolf) also clearly expresses the desire to retain the "Lotus DNA" underpinings of the marque. He "gets" the "lightness" thing. Especially intriguing are his comments on the potential development of lightweight future Lotus "bespoke" powerplants (engines being Zimmerman's apparent specialty at AMG) for use in the newly unveiled models, though leaving open the question of whether or not it is to be 100% "inhouse," or a collaborative outsourcing effort (but not "derivative" in nature). His enthusiasm for EV technology is heartening as well, predicting (IIRC) a 50/50 mix of IC vs EV powerplants by 2025. Polar bears worldwide are dancing a jig.:)

Guest surferphil

Now that's all sorted out and being really positive, can someone reshape the front of these cars and make them look as cool and pretty as the old ones (I can't believe they are now the old ones). Maybe they could hire the guy who designed the Jaguar CX-15/75 concept car. What's his name Julian something...

:getmecoat:

Dont get me started about the Jag CX75 electric / jet powered thingy. This is a car that has a label on the back saying "stand clear of the blast zone". How cool is that!

Evora NA

Guest surferphil

Dont get me started about the Jag CX75 electric / jet powered thingy. This is a car that has a label on the back saying "stand clear of the blast zone". How cool is that!

I have the 3D design model of it on my server :on2long: the company I contract for made the film, edited in the suite next to my office and I never got to see it in the flesh! :realmad:

Out of all the cars the Evora is the looker! :B) When is yours arriving Bibs?

My Evora S? January I've been told! :)

Evora NA

Now THAT is a real supercar! Even if it were steam powered, it's one of the best looking cars I have seen in a long while.

Reference the autoblog article......

"The last 15 years the brand has maneuvered itself into a corner where it served a niche, the enthusiasts," says CEO Dany Bahar. "That's why Lotus was always on the verge of financial collapse."

Interesting take on things, to say the least.

"Lotus Group's engineering arm has 700 engineers, three times as many as Ferrari according to Bahar. They make up more than a third of the company's 2,000 employees..."

And therein lies Lotus' best hope of success with the new models. They remain a powerhouse of performance engineering capabilities, additional kilograms or not.

"And by investing in everything now, in a market that remains depressed, the company expects to be loaded and ready when things rebound."

Works for me.

"Perhaps you noticed that motorsports wasn't mentioned as a cost to be taken out of the £770 million budget. That's because motorsports is now viewed as a profit center, not an account payable."

"Funds all went to racing before, with Colin Chapman," said Bahar, which is why customer cars could be left to want for development. "Now motorsports has to make a business case beforehand. You need to have teams lined up to buy the cars before you commit to racing – GT2, GT4, Le Mans, Exos, it's a profit center."

Note the absence of F1, but by gawd we intend to assimilate that as well, just you wait and see.

"To manage the task, Lotus is bringing all of its motorsport activities back in-house – hence the Lotus Racing snafu with Tony Fernandes' F1 team, which Lotus had no comment on."

Ya think?

I suppose the High Court may have something to say about the definition of "back in-house," and whether or not it ever was in the first place. Stay tuned!:nuke:

• 2 months later...

I think the talk about the high price of the Esprit is out of place. The HC in 1986 was (according to information that I found from reviews) GBP 23,440 compared to 34,750 for the Ferrari 328...

Ive been meaning to post this for ages but only just had the right combination of scanner & book (ie I kept forgeting one of them!)

I have a price list from 1985 and that puts the new price of my Esprit with full leather and Blaupunk stereo at £25,000 in 1985. I entered this in here http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ and that gave me a value of between £56,000 & £96,000. So that makes the price of the new cars approx.the same area?

Anyhow this is from Jeremy Walton's old book its good as it shows you what price the other cars were in 1981 when the turbo was £20,900. Its at the top of the tree, funny because the value today for a turbo in tiptop condition would be nowhere near a Bora or 308GTB in the same condition!! Kinda makes you wonder who it was who bought the TurboEsprits new?

CCF14022011_00000.jpg

CCF14022011_00001.jpg

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777