Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Car died, need some help, funny story... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Car died, need some help, funny story...

Callaway

EDIT:PROBLEM SORTED, SEE MY REPLY FURTHER DOWN IN THE THREAD. :P

Well guys,

These cars have the worst timing! I've never had a running problem up until now. I pulled out the Lotus as I had this girl who I was supposed to go see tonight. Now this is something that I never do, as I do not really want to look like a showoff. But I was feeling risky tonight and figured what the hell, take it out and have a little fun. I even discussed it with my many friends, which of course all answered that it shouldn't even be a question. So I get in the car, EVEN say out loud to it, please do not have any problems tonight! Well, what do you know, I get to the end of the street and the car dies. When I try to restart it, the engine just kind of putters for a second and it throws a check engine light. OK so at this point I curse at the dash, the stars, and anything in a stones throw distance, and push the blasted thing back up the street and into the garage. I call the girl and tell her I had car problems and that I will be about 30 minutes late. Unfortunately, I think she thought I was giving her the run around and wouldn't answer her phone later on. DAMN. :(

Anyways, now that I have written a novel here are my findings. I went in there tonight to see what I could find (I dont have freescan yet so im not able to pull the codes). I check the fuel pump inertia switch, seems fine but I pull it up and reset it. I had tried to start it a couple times before doing this to no avail. I hit the ignition, it limps on, and then dies once i hit the throttle. I tried to start it again and its back to puddering for a sec. I reset the switch once again, still putters. In a last ditch effort I try cranking it and hitting the throttle. It comes to life, revs, the oil pressure is fine, but as soon as i let off the gas it dies. Do the same thing once again and after a few blips it stays on, but when I hit the throttle cuts out and then revs. I shut it off and restart it with the same method (still wont start without help from the throttle), and it revs fine as long as im on the throttle but dies when I take my foot off. What do you guys think?

I just replaced the IAC valve a few days ago in an effort to fix a cold start problem the car has had since I bought it. It didn't fix the problem and the car ran fine yesterday when I went romping down the highway after I had put some new porterfield pads on the rear. So I wouldn't think this new IAC valve would be the problem. Could it be the TPS by any chance? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long read, im just a little frustrated tonight and had to vent lol :( !

P.S. The check engine light only comes on when I let off the throttle and it dies. It goes off (and stays off) while im on the throttle and the car is running.

-Callaway

1994 Esprit S4

Edited by Callaway

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys,

These cars have the worst timing! I've never had a running problem up until now. I pulled out the Lotus as I had this girl who I was supposed to go see tonight

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there is anything wrong with your Esprit, they just know that ultimately it will be a girl that threatens their existance with their owner :P

I don't think there is anything wrong with your Esprit, they just know that ultimately it will be a girl that threatens their existance with their owner  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFL isn't that the truth! I should change the thread title to "My Esprit cock blocked me, need some help!" but I don't think the mods would appreciate it! LOL! :(

-Callaway

1994 Esprit S4

I just made it a rule.. no girls in my car ever. She is a very jealous beast and will invariably break out of sheer spite. Symptoms sound like a vac leak, most likely in the area of the fuel pressure regulator. Low vacuum at the fpr = running rich and stalling.

Edited by docf

UPDATE: Ok I took the car out yesterday around the block for about 10 minutes, constantly having to restart it if I let off of the gas. Today: I go out in the garage to show my twin brother, I turn the key and get the puttering. Then I turn the key and hit the gas and she comes to life just fine as it has been doing, so I tell him "now watch im going to let off of the pedal and it will die", I let off of the pedal and the damn thing idles. So I tell him it has done this once before but once I kill it and restart the engine it will die again. I restart it w/out giving it gas out of curiousity, it comes on fine. I repeat this 3 more times and it comes on fine everytime!

I just got done driving it for 2 hours, and it still starts up just fine! This throws me off quite a bit, however I am going to replace all of the vacuum hoses just as a precautionary. Any other ideas? I would kill for freescan about now! :lol:

-Callaway

1994 Esprit S4

Sounds like you car likes your twin brother and not the girl.... watch out... this could be bad.

Sorry can't help with the questions. :)

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.

The code should be stored for a while....but don't wait too long. After so many start/stop cycles without a repeat occurence, the computer will eventually erase the code that will point you in the right direction.

Intermittents will always come back to haunt you. I know you're happy about it running again, but this problem could haunt you in the future, and guaranteed it won't be down the street from your garage. Next time it will be when you're doing 80 mph, or in the middle of nowhere. Or with a lady friend which would be pretty embarassing.

Checking the fuel pump is pretty easy with a fuel pressure gauge plumbed into a shraeder valve. Turning the key on should show a steady pressure at the gauge. Not sure what spec is but i'm sure it is in the manual. I would also check anything near where you last worked on the car before this problem. Maybe you knocked a vacuum line off or loosened an electrical connection. Look for the obvious first.

Good Luck!

Well guys,

The good news is my Esprit doesn't hate woman and is certainly not batting for the other team, lol! I took her out for a spin yesterday and all was well until I went back to the parking garage to go home. It started with a very weak idle, but managed to stay on. I drove down the street and sure enough when I clutched in it died on me again, and I was back to square one. So I got out in the garage tonight (early morning rather!) and pulled out the new IAC valve as it seemed the logical first step. When I pulled the new one off out came the motor portion but the spring and stepping shaft were left in the slot! They had completely seperated! So I popped the old one back in and she fired right up, went for a drive and everything is good to go! Hopefully JAE will take this new one back and I can invest in freescan. Thanks for all the help and hilarious comments fellas!

-Callaway

1994 Esprit S4

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.... Now off to take the lady back out to dinner.

Joey

Spencer WV

Found my Esprit, but due to family issues, money went to other things :(

I guess I just have to wait for a while.