free hit
counters
OMFG! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Wanted: Iftikhar Hashim for unspeakable crimes against a Lotus

1978 Lotus Eclat Sprint

That poor poor car...

This is a lesson for all current owners. If your considering selling your car, but you have doubts about the new owner, don't sell it to them!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like an old Tart that has had a facelift - still an old tart ,just cheaper than before !

"Auto Cosmetic" it says on the photos of this superlative example of craftsmanship. Now, that sounds like a commercial undertaking....can this chap actually be charging people MONEY for stuff like this???!!! OMFG, indeed....a 12 year old could do better. It'll be like most of the "custom" crap one sees...a bit of poorly bent tin and odd scraps of GRP pop rivetted together and smothered in pudding. Then contoured to "shape"..hoping the pudding won't fall off, the rust come through, and the resulting appearance not be TOO wavy... There are some true craftsmen out there, but most of it is total garbage.....but it does look bad!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

they are LHD cars, so the non engish people are not happy with the outside of the car,

buy then a other car butt keep the all lotus models orginal, (a lhd elite or eclat are also rare...)

Hi,

I've got no problem with people modifying their cars, i can't really moan as mine has different chassis, suspension, shocks, brakes, wheels, engine, gear box etc (it's in danger of becoming Triggers Broom!). People fit xenon headlight bulbs to make the lights work better, electronic ignition to make the car run better, engine upgrades etc etc, even swapping for a V8.... Seems sensible to me to make the car perform better.

But when people take one car, and spend a fortune making it look like another car that already exists, i just can't get my head round it! There was a link someone put up on the old forum about how someone had taken an excel and tried to make it look like a Lamborghini Urraco. Fitted a Rover V8, made really major mods to the bodyshell to make it look like a Lambo.

For me there's only so far you can go with it - as the poster above says, why buy the car in the first place if you really don't like the way it looks? I realise the Eclat isn't the prettiest car ever, but I like it, I like the 1970s geekiness of it. My personal opinion is somewhere under there is a good car with a great design philosophy - just the bad build quality and rubbish parts that let it down - leaky engine, dodgy gearbox etc. Through time Lotus improved it, by the late Excel models the car was much more reliable and a much more useable car. My problem with the Excels looks is it's a bit too modern looking (for me), otherwise I would have just sold the Eclat and bought an Excel.

Mat.

That yellow car looks ridiculous. It shows no aesthetic or historical/temporal sense whatsoever. What a waste -- of time, money, and a Lotus. :(

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

What"s the chance of this getting finished ????

Surely he got so far and realized it looks a complete mess then junked it.

The guy is obviously very proud of the thing as its on Flickr and mentions the company name. Top advertising :no ?????????

As for the silver thing AAAYYYYYYEEEEEEE nice one mate. Why not throw on a sierra cosworth whaletale rear spoiler. wicked mon.

Mind you it takes all sorts so if they are happy then crack on.

Now thats enough complaining from me. Im off to fit that series landrover running gear to my esprit and gun turret :popo::robo:

that is not good, i love the bits of tin plate riveted in place prior to half a ton of "pud" being applied...... What kind of person would post these pics up without remaining annonymous!! Hilarious, it will at least bolster the value of surviving Eclats.......

Hi All

Got to say have to agree with what everyone has said about this conversion, god knows why any one would want to do this, but everyone to his own, think the filler maufactures would love this type of conversion.

However have to say those headlights would save a lot of problems with headlight pods going up/down, and I am not too unhappy with how they appear to look on the Lotus, not that am going to do it, but what do you think they have come from? as obviously some thing with a bonnet angle similar to the Lotus, think some one suggested Toyota, otherwise would strugle to get beam alignment any thing like correct.

These people can do good work by the looks of the MGB pictures in amoungst the other ones, so assume this is a customer request. Yuc

The Humble Observer Online Edition

You searched for: obituariesDisplaying 1-5 of 5 result(s) found.

Jeannette Fisher

Loretta Jeannette Fisher, 63, of Pasadena, went to be with her Lord and Savior on Friday October 8th, 2010. She was born in De Valls Bluff, Arkansas January 17, 1947. She graduated from Hardin High School in 1964. She loved golfing and traveling. She...

Rev. Thomas L. Lamb

Rev. Thomas Luther Lamb, 78, went home on Sunday, 10/10/2010. Visitation was held on 10/12/2010 at Neal Funeral Home from 5:00-9:00 pm. Services were held on 10/13/2010 at 11:00 am. To view the full obituary,sign the guest book and leave a tribute pl...

Rev. Thomas Luther Lamb, 78, went home to be with his Lord and Savior on Sunday, October 10, 2010 in Cleveland, Texas. To view the full obituary, times of service, sign the guest book and leave a tribute please go to www.nealfh.com ....

Frank Kmiec

Frank Kmiec, 67 of Hempstead passed away Oct.1, 2010, while on vacation in Las Vegas, Nevada. He is survived by his wife, Kateri Kmiec; sons, Scott Kmiec and wife Donna, and Christopher Kmiec and wife Rebecca; daughter, Cindy Kmiec; broth...

Candace McClure

Candace McClure, 59, of Houston passed away Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2010, at Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center. She was born Dec. 13, 1949, in Hempstead, to Arvid Hand and Georgia Wiggins. She is survived by mother Georgia Hand, son John Mc...

1978 Lotus Eclat Sprint

1978 Lotus Eclat Sprint, 32, of Hethel, UK, went to her final reward in early October, 2010, in Humble, Texas. The Lotus family have asked that no viewing take place, as the cause of death would create too much pain in the community. Service to be held at Sam's Wrecking Yard in nearby Bay City. In lieu of flowers the family has requested donations be made to the "Auto Cosmetic" specially deputized Posse and Lynching Committee...

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

When there was an Elite/Eclat section there was a post almost every week akin to 'Save this Eclat!', normally linked to an Ebay listing.

These cars have had over thirty years to be loved by the automotive world, and loved they are not. And yeah, it is sad.

:(

Thats why there are so many basket cases with leaf clustered birds nest engine bays, pictured next to some tarpulin that's casually chucked over bits of ruined damp trim and the top half of a shagged engine topped with rusted and buggered carb, Etc, Etc...

And the ones that are not like that? The runners? Well they are cheap enough for people to buy, chop to bits, and then bin.

Even though they are rare cars and there are not many of them left, clearly the cars that are left outnumber the people that care about them.

Hence the car this thread is about, hence all the 'save this car' topics. The surplus ones that remain will all get chopped up or scrapped and eventually only the enthusiast owned ones will remain.

And even then, on that day when only the good cars remain, the world that did not care about them before will not be queueing up to care about or attach any value or new desirability to them.

Enjoy your Elite and Eclat, accept you can't buy all the surplus ones that will die a slow and drawn out death, and move on.

:D

Oh, and try and keep yourself cheery.

There are some people who prize elites and eclats. Usually the people who have actually driven one....

Colin Chapman was quoted as saying if he wanted to make an entrance, he took an esprit, but if he wanted to get somewhere in a hurry, he took his elite...

Owning a car that is frowned on by others, but turns out to be fantastic is like being a member of a very small and smug clique.

Mine ticks all my boxes...

comfortable, spacious, good sized boot, 4 seats, ridiculously good handling and with "adequate" levels of power.

I make no excuses for banging the drum for these cars and encouraging people to get a good one while they still can.

Edited by Dunc

........which is exactly why we should be banging the drum about these cars and informing other people of how good they are and urging people to save them when they appear for sale. These cars deserve more interest.

which is something you inferred we shouldn't bother doing, we should just "accept", enjoy our own cars, and move on from.

Thats what you actually said.

:shock:

Rough crowd, them Afrikaners. Sheesh!:D

Still, this particular Eclat seems ready to be sent to the Vuvuzela factory. A contingent of them could then return to serenade Auto Cosmetic into the wee hours.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.