free hit
counters
Center Caps on the Wheels - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Center Caps on the Wheels

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took my car to get new rear tires and the tire shop tells me they can't get the center caps off to do the balancing.  Are mine just stuck or is there a trick to removing them?

Jake

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No different to any other car? Take the wheel off and tap them out gently from behind.

No different to any other car?  Take the wheel off and tap them out gently from behind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they're the stock SE wheels, then you need to do as Paul C said and tap them from the front of the wheel. You push them in from the back of the wheel to fit them. They are held in by a dozen or so small feet that spring into place when you push it in - a one way door if you like. The replacement ones I have with the yellow and green Lotus logo get dented when you pop them out :D

Jason

Land Rover Discovery II & waiting on next Esprit

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Out of interest, it is possible to balance wheels with the centrecaps in place, may have to call around a few places to find someone who will do this as it requires a different mounting on the balancing machine.

I found this out as all 1.6 205gti's have solid alloys with no central hole whatsoever, its a pain in the arse but definately possible and may cost a little more so don't worry too much yet Paul, theres still chance you won't have to break them out!

If your struggling, best call your local peugeot garage and find out where they get theirs done, maybe they'll do them for you. Hope this is of some help to you.

Simon :D

Chunky Lover