free hit
counters
Cruise control... - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hey all,

On a whim (!) I've bought a Omega cruise control indicator stalk... As I felt that a GT should have a cruise control and I hate the non-factory look add on cruise control controls IYKWIM... (Not this one, but the same)

ccstalk.JPG

And it popped straight in, took longer to type this...! OK it's not the most ergonomic switch there has ever been but it fits easily!

3 buttons

I - Set speed and speed up

R - Resume and slow down

O - Cruise Control Off

So I've now just bought an Omega cruise control module... to match.

Which has a cable for the accelerator pedal and the following connections:

A (black/red) stalk OFF switch grey

B (black/yellow) stalk I switch green

C (black/brown) stalk R switch blue (red switch wire to ignition)

D (black/blue) clutch switch. (other clutch switch wire to ignition)

E (brown) earth

F (black) ignition.

G (black/yellow) brake lights

H (not connected)

J (not connected)

K (blue/red) MPH on dash connector

I'll need to fit a clutch switch and probably mod the brake switch too, might do it with a pressure switch in the clutch line.

Only problem will be the K - MPH signal - anyone got any clues about where to get one? A pinout for the ECU would be nice....

It must be on the ECU somewhere but I have a mech speedo,.. then it will probably need conditioning too... Ah well will keep me busy!

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich H

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VSS on right rear wheel?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

K (blue/red) MPH on dash connector

Only problem will be the K - MPH signal - anyone got any clues about where to get one? A pinout for the ECU would be nice....

It must be on the ECU somewhere but I have a mech speedo,.. then it will probably need conditioning too... Ah well will keep me busy!

According to the ECU wiring in the service notes, the VSS/Vehicle Speed Sensor, is wired on pins J3C2 and J3C8 of the ECU...

No idea about signal conditioning, the speed regulator module probably is designed to accept a wide range of signals. It can probably accept a wide range of amplitude and crappy looking wave shapes. But then maybe not, so best to search information on that cruise control module and the vehicle speed sensor used in the Omega...

I too am very interested in this mod, please keep us posted with pics of all the bits, how it it fits in the car, your impressions on how well it works (or not)...

10 years ago when I read about a chap fitting cruise control on his Esprit in the USA, I thought "oh my god, what's next, a TV screen ? Cup holders ?", but since it was from the US, I thought well, they like cruise control and cup holders over there...

But 10 years later, I must say I have changed my mind on this particular gadget. My super long legs and 6'6" make it painful to drive, and in the recent years the French government has crippled the country with speed cameras, following inspiration from you guys in the UK. So cruise control would let me stretch/relax my legs behind the pedals while allowing me to keep my driving license intact. Reality has led me to compromise and accept a little gadgetry so to speak ! No cup holders for me though, ever ! Actually I don't even understand how Lotus dared to put cigar lighters and ashtrays in the Esprit ! Brrr...

Oh, I am digressing again sorry ! ;) Just to say that I am very interested in your project, so please take lots of notes, pics and keep us posted on your progress ! :D

dscn1369m.jpg

Edited by troutrou

Hehheeh mine's already got cruise control...

Foot%20on%20Accelerator.jpg

And self cancelling indicators, rain sensing wipers, automatic braking etc

BTW having just wired in the GT2 with those controls / switches, just make sure your main beam light and indicator controls work OK - they are not the same across the board, why the hell not I dont know !!!! :wallbash:

Before you go too far make sure the functions work (if you havent already)

facebook = [email protected]

I believe I'm the guy that troutrou was referring to on the cruise control install and you can see the write-up here:

cruise

Mine was electronic speedo so I was able to tap in under the binnacle but for a mechanical speedo you can tap into the VSS output from the ECU. J3-C8 should be correct but you may have to add a pin as there probably isn't one in there currently.

One problem you may have is the VSS output may not be in sync with what your Omega unit is setup to receive.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

from Jim's instructions, I installed similar unit with the panel mount switch. used a pin from a DSUB connector, fit in the ECU connector fine, ran wire traditional route thru RH firewall to CC unit

post-144-001914000 1286853866.jpg

post-144-046650700 1286853886.jpg

post-144-087843500 1286854033.jpg

post-144-044300000 1286854301.jpg

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Cheers guys! Perfect!

That VSS out pin is what I was after and that cruise unit looks odentical to the one I'm waiting for too!

I will of course write it up (Good ro bad) and I'll try to take piccys (But I am quite forgetful so it might be before and after shots!)

I'm pretty sure that the VSS sig will be OK as it'll just look for a frequency and then speed up/slow down to match the stored frequency should be pretty tolerant, but if necessary I can condition it with a pull up/pull down transistor

I believe I'm the guy that troutrou was referring to on the cruise control install and you can see the write-up here:

cruise

Oh please call me Vince, I indicated my full name in my profile ! "troutrou" is an old nick name from school which I use only for setting up accounts' authentication, it's not meant to be displayed ! I don't like this nick name anymore, sounds like so many years ago ! I wish the forum had a way to hide it or at least modify it ! ...

I am not sure if I was talking of you actually. As I said it was 10 years ago, in late 2000, when I subscribed to eh "turboesprit" US mailing list, the only Esprit place on the net back then. LEW didn't even exist at that time.

Actually after all those years I have long forgotten the name of the chap and what kind of Esprit he had, I only remember my reaction to his project back then, but not the details...

Jonathan, I have a similar cruise control as you, but it's crap, after only 20 minutes of use, it yields to severe knee ache which forces me to stop for 30 minutes then drive again for 20 minutes etc, which makes long trips take days ! That's why I am looking for a little gadget to do it for me, so I can relax my right (LHD here) knee/leg and not have to stop all the time !

Edited by troutrou

Will keep you all posted

One question where does the electronic speedo normally take it's signal from? J3-C8?

Ta

Rich

Hmm dunno if you could use the sensor - yes it does do vehicle speed but really all it does is make pulses, its the ECU that makes sense of it.

I tried and gave up to calibrate my speedo which is WAY out - I use a GPS speedo now heads up display (too cool, even for pictures)

As far as I know the sensor is J3-C2 + J3-C8 Yellow/grey + Purple/Yellow respectivly

For the S300 it says the signal is from J2-B8 (orange/brown) - whether this is pulsed or a variable voltage I has no clue !

Having scoped the ABS sensors which are the same iirc (passive systems, the pin wheel induces a spike into the sensor as it passes it's magnetic field) I also found the signal was not 100% clean, you get a double spike which is why I had to remove traction control from the car :(

Pitty you cant get a GPS system to do this.

Vince - buy a new knee, its a lot cheaper :lol:

facebook = [email protected]mail.co.uk

J2-B8 sounds like a better bet than cutting into the VSS circuit and the speedo feed will be right.

Looks liek that what they used on the LEW mod. If I'm really lucky the wiring might even be there... there is a spare plug in the loom (but that might be for a boost gauge)

The actual speed is irrelevant as the unit will just maintain the speed set.

I wish the forum had a way to hide it or at least modify it ! ...

Bibs - Making dreams come true since 2004 :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

no signal conditioning is necessary

Jim was good enough to provide an install guide complete with correct DIP settings and part #s and point me to Peter for VSS signal

if you PM Jim, I'm sure he would send you the info as well

it really made the install a breeze and took out all the guess work and tinkering time

I have plenty more pics if anyone needs them from my install

Hi Chris,

After trying to tap into a speed signal from an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, and the ECM's VSS signal, to no avail, I finally found success tapping the signal from the ECM's Electronic Speedo Pin Plug. It is located on the ECM's red harness, J2 - B8 pin plug (it should be empty on your vehicle as well). It appears to be the only clean and suitable speed output. You will need to modify a pin (reduce it to the correct size) or obtain the right sized pin, to plug into that pin location. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers,

Peter

94' S4

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Mint, that's what I wanted to hear!

No dip switches on this unit as it's OEM from an Omega

Just waiting for the unit to turn up and then I'll bench test it.

Bibs - Making dreams come true since 2004 :)

Wow, thanks Bibs, looks much nicer now !

Jonathan, would love to get a new knee, but France is not as friendly as it used to be in the old days ! Health system definitely won't let me have a replacement part so easily, I would have to pay 100% of it and it's not in my budget !

Besides, I fear that the replacement knee would soon fail too ! The root of the problem is me being 6'6" with long legs. The only "solution" would be to shorten the legs by say 10 inches, but then I would look rather disproportioned ! I guess you can't have it all.. comfort and looks ! :lol:

Edited by Vince

Hi,

I have already added the electronic cruise on my S4s a few years back per Jim Knowles instructions but would like to replace the after-market stalk with the one pictured early in this thread. Anyone know how someone from the old USA can find one?

Thanks,

Rich

P.S. Now if I could find a hideaway for my cupholder I'd be set ... :devil:

Edited by Rich

There are loads on UK Ebay... they are off the Vauxhall Omega.

No afiliation, first one with world wide postage: £5.60 postage to the USA.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-VECTRA-OMEGA-CRUISE-CONTROL-INDICATOR-STALK-/350394037345?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51951cb461

Be warned... The switches are not great, they are quite agricultural. They are solid but not particually refined.

Rich

The one I got clipped stright into the steering column like the original and everythign worked perfectly.

Just took the 2 screws out of the column shround lifted off the top, unclipped the old on, un plugged it adn fitted the new one.

Took 2 mins.

I think the exact same units are sold for Vauxhall/Opel Vectras & Astra, possibly Zafira. Loads of them on ebay UK.

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s